Filament Run-out Sensor Add-on

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
firesped

Re: Filament Run-out Sensor Add-on

Postby firesped » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:15 am

so today I started a print without another filament to finish it. I had the filament runout code enabled in my 1.2.2 firmware. When the filament went past the sensor, the firmware sent the code to the printer and the touchscreen display paused the print and screen showed that the printer was Paused by the MONITOR. This is the first time I have actually tested if this works on my firmware.

Now the issue, it did not completely home the carriage. It was still sitting over the corner of the bed. I moved the carriage so the filament could go over the edge. when it resumed printing, the it was printing shifted so I canceled the job and started it over. It was still early enough.

In 1.2.2 firmware, there is a new command to enable the FRS and configure it to use either normally open or normally closed sensors.

As I get time, I am working on an update for marlin to introduce a Pull Request to add the raisetouch to marlin. so that the raisetouch and it's functions and features will be supported on all future versions of marlin. This will mean that people who wish to configure the firmware themselves will be able to just download the latest version of marlin and configure it and use it by enabling the raisetouch in configuration and further enabling some advanced features in configuration advanced file.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:28 am

Thanks for the good news. I guess what this also means is that an easy way to turn on or off detection is make a gcode print file you upload to local storage with the commands and name them like enable and disable filament detection? I assume it also defaults to off and so you have to initially set the type (NO VS NC) but is that stored in EEPROM or every time you reboot you need to first configure and then enable?

firesped

Postby firesped » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:46 am

ABH wrote:Hmm.., the Marlin "FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR" feature isn't enabled in the official Raise3D motion controller firmware, so I don't see how this will work? Isn't the sensor connected to the Touchscreen computer?

Marlin's filament_runout_sensor feature works in a weird way and I was not able to turn it on with the way raise3d did this. It required something else to work that we don't have.

raise3d wrote a custom firmware, dubbed Marlin-Raise3D-N-Series-master_with_Lack_of_material_testing download/file.php?id=4508 thread is here. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=593&hilit=filament+sensor&start=40#p16495 it is not on github. my firmware, based on the raise3d numbering, 1.2.2 implemented this function and does work. But it is only official marlin version 1.1.0

I created a Filament runout sensor that uses the raise3d endstop here. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2457483

I need to update the firmware to the newer version of marlin but they changed many key functions in the heaterstates, including moving them from marlin_main to temperature. the ideal is to make it work with how marlin does things versus creating custom bypass code. I want to add a "raisetouch" graphics display, much the same way as you see ultipanel all over the firmware. I don't think the raisetouch is as selective on the information it gathers as you may think. I made no changes to the information screen and it gathers the information it needs just fine. The real question is how critical the syntax on the M105 and M190 codes are. In order to monitor the input I wanted to get a octopi with touchscreen setup. As that system lets me have active access to the log from my computer. octoprint is not working on my touchscreen. I also have to work on 2 versions of the firmware as well. or rather, I need to have a printer clean version and then have one customized for my printer. As the pull request to add the raisetouch into marlin itself will need to be free of everything but the raisetouch implementation.
printers:

firesped

Postby firesped » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:57 am

was just looking at the code for the syntax for the new gcode command.

Code: Select all

/**
 * F0-F1: Lack Material Sensor Command
 *   S0      Turns Sensor off
 *   S1      Turns Sensor On
 *   N0     Sets sensor to Normally Open
 *   N1     Sets Sensor to Normally Close
 */

F0 = left
F1 = right

F0 N0 will switch it to Open
F0 N1 will switch it to Closed.

F0 S0 turns it off
F0 S1 turns it on
these can be put in the start and ending scripts in the slicer as you only need them when printing.

Also note if you just type F0 or F1 it will show the states of the sensor. as in is it turned on and is it Open or Closed.

I remember part of the reason I could not use the filament runout sensor code built into the printer already. That code is designed to let the motion controller deal with the operation of the pausing the printer. without raise3d involved to add a note that the motion controller did this. the touchscreen would be lost as to what is going on.

likely the F0 and F1 will go away in the future as I learn how to add it to the existing endstop command.

and yes, it saves it to the EEPROM
printers:

Fiesel

Postby Fiesel » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:47 pm

Hey Raise3d team,
does pre order make sense for european customers? I'm thinking of customs handling costs and overall hassle...
Or will the filament run-out sensor and thermal protector be available shortly after release at the european reseller sites?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:14 am

Fiesel wrote:Hey Raise3d team,
does pre order make sense for european customers? I'm thinking of customs handling costs and overall hassle...
Or will the filament run-out sensor and thermal protector be available shortly after release at the european reseller sites?

You can pre-order from our website directly.
There will be no custom handling cost, since the shipment will be carried out from local partners' side.
1.jpg

Fiesel

Postby Fiesel » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:12 am

Alright will do, thx!

duke666

Postby duke666 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:50 am

Hello, I have such a question - and will the sensor work and stop printing if my nozzle gets clogged, for example, and the thread stops pushing, but no breakage has occurred?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:52 am

This sensor only detects running-out of filament, but not clog and stop moving.

duke666

Postby duke666 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:34 pm

In the near future, the appearance of a more advanced sensor is possible? Because it is very difficult to calculate how many threads are left and the breakage is very rare. But the jam is quite often.

duke666

Postby duke666 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 am

In the near future, the appearance of a more advanced sensor is possible? How much remains the material is simple and the break in me never happened. And the termination of submission happens

duke666

Postby duke666 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:55 am

bad english, google translate. 8(

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:00 am

We will take your suggestions into consideration. If we have any clear plan about this, will update to all the raisers.

anime_fan

Postby anime_fan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:41 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:This sensor only detects running-out of filament, but not clog and stop moving.

I must say that is extremely disappointing! It sounds be very similar to the prusa mk3 sensor so I don't see why you would not be able to include that.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:31 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:The sensor will be located between the filament spool holders and the feeding tube. Should have no relationship to the extruder itself.

Is this still the case? Your California office seemed to think it was mounted on the extruder like the new Pro2. When I questioned them about it and told them what I read here, they then said what I read here was correct.

I asked for a copy of the installation guide so I could make sure but was told that they could not provide it to me.(?) Is there a way I can get a copy of the install guide or at least a picture from it showing the installation location? Thanks

Hescockrl

Postby Hescockrl » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:52 pm

I just got mine in the mail today. I found a placeholder page for the installation guide but it is blank.

https://www.raise3d.com/pages/filament- ... nstruction

I would like to get it installed and configured. There should be a link to the installation and setup on the order page at least.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:50 am

Wow! That would be extremely frustrating. Thanks for the information. Any sense of where it mounts?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:06 am

For the Filament Run-out Sensor's shipping and installation guide, please check with the following link:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7462

awolf

Postby awolf » Fri May 04, 2018 7:41 pm

Which is the correct firmware update?

1.1.6frs.firm

or

1.1.6rev1.firm?

Typically, I'd go with rev as the most recent, but since the frs is in the first one, I think it may be more specific to using the sensor. I don't see a creation date on these, just when I downloaded them.

Thanks in advance.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Fri May 04, 2018 8:45 pm

Instructions say to use the firmware with "frs" for the Filament Run-out sensor. I do not believe the 1.1.6rev1.firm has the code in it for the detection.

The link Hescockrl posted above is now active for the instructions.

Return to “Hardware”