Filament Run-out Sensor Add-on

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
claytony565

Re: Filament Run-out Sensor Add-on

Postby claytony565 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:14 pm

Jetguy wrote:
claytony565 wrote:UPDATE: I plugged it in to the MCB upside down like a doofus.

In order to best explain to others to prevent the mistake. I think you are saying you flipped the EXP3 connector with the red and back wires. It is not "keyed" and can be flipped around and still plug in- but when doing so- no power to the optical filament detectors means they cannot detect.
Again, if you mistakenly flip the red and black pin location by plugging in that EXP3 connector the wrong way, the filament sensor gets no power.
Filament sensor mainboard connections.jpg
filament sensor mainboard connections2.jpg
Filament sensor harness.jpg

That is precisely what happened. Thanks for pointing that out.

pgroen

Postby pgroen » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:28 am

HI All,

Bought the sensor, mounted it to the printer, downloaded the new firmware and connected the sensor to the board as shown in the guide...
Started a print job, cut the filament just above the sensor and let it "run-out"... Nope no show, the printer doesn't stop.....
Tried to measure the output of the sensor with and without filament and it is working correctly ..

My Raise3DN2 however does not stop when it is out of filament...

I'm stuck at this point.....

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:52 pm

pgroen wrote:HI All,

Bought the sensor, mounted it to the printer, downloaded the new firmware and connected the sensor to the board as shown in the guide...
Started a print job, cut the filament just above the sensor and let it "run-out"... Nope no show, the printer doesn't stop.....
Tried to measure the output of the sensor with and without filament and it is working correctly ..

My Raise3DN2 however does not stop when it is out of filament...

I'm stuck at this point.....

Please shoot us a support ticket at help.raise3d.com.
Have your tried to remove the filament on both side to see whether it triggers error.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:34 pm

I want to stress to all of you that the runout sensor is not such a big problem that it needs new parts. As far as i can determine, the only problem with it is that the filament sized holes have not been chamfered. That's it. Just chamfer the holes and install it and the filament will run through perfectly smoothly. The holes are so precision drilled that they left a very sharp edge that edge needs to be "broken." That is a standard machinist action to do. They left it out or forgot it or skipped it but it needs to be done no matter how you mount it.
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

Return to “Hardware”