fixing heat creep in the print head

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Jab136

fixing heat creep in the print head

Postby Jab136 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:25 pm

so I have a new filament that gets too soft to feed properly when the print head assembly gets too hot, I have already put ABS spacers between the motors and the print head, which is causing issues with the motors getting too hot (I will probably fix that with some heat sinks), and additionally I will insulate the hotends, which will hopefully help a bit more, but are there any other mods that people have done to keep the feed assembly cooler (I am printing ABS so it won't be that cool since I have to keep the printer enclosed) I am using the N2 plus dual with the stock motors (not the bondtech upgrade)

Mecha_Monster

Re: fixing heat creep in the print head

Postby Mecha_Monster » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:16 pm

What filament are you using? Do you have issues with other types/brands?

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:06 pm

Hydrofill, and this is the first brand I have had an issue with. Unfortunately it is pretty much the only water soluble ABS support material around...

bigrob007

Postby bigrob007 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:12 pm

I've been having an issue with 3d solutech pla. I've made a bracket to mount a 40mm fan to the front of the print head to blow back and down over the heatsink and part. I'll know next week if it was successful as I am waiting for the fan to arrive.

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:53 am

bigrob007 wrote:I've been having an issue with 3d solutech pla. I've made a bracket to mount a 40mm fan to the front of the print head to blow back and down over the heatsink and part. I'll know next week if it was successful as I am waiting for the fan to arrive.

This won't help in my case because I am printing ABS so I actually had to block the bottoms of the fan shrouds because the part needs to cool as fast as possible. I also gave up with the stock extruder and switched to the bondtech one, but that did not solve my issue, I have decided that this filament is probably nearly impossible to print on this printer and I don't have time to find the settings that will work.

bigrob007

Postby bigrob007 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:36 pm

If you're printing abs and don't need the down flow try flipping one of the fans around. from what I know of cooling pc components, having two opposing fans generates turbulence. turbulence is bad for cooling with air. I would even try a little foil tape to make a wind tunnel across the heat sinks. having the air blow all in one direction would make the puny heat sinks much more efficient.

Return to “Hardware”