Source for PEI sheet with adhesive

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
EldRick

Source for PEI sheet with adhesive

Postby EldRick » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:44 pm

This company sells PEI (Ultem) sheet in your choice of thickness, with 3M adhesive pre-applied for easy installation.
http://catalog.cshyde.com/viewitems/3d- ... /ultem-pei

I chose .020" = .5mm as being stiff enough to apply easily without bubbles, while thick enough to last a while. For the N2 glass, you'd like the size to be 331 x 339mm.

However, rather than try to perfectly align an exact-size sheet, I got their next size larger, so I could align one edge and trim off the other two. All it took was a couple of scores with an xacto knife along the edge of the glass, and the excess PEI broke off easily.

The piece I got was their default, with the adhesive on the matte side, and shiny side showing. This gives a grainy look to the adhesive, and I wound up using sandpaper to score the shiny surface for best adhesion anyway, so I'd suggest requesting the adhesive on the shiny surface with the matte side up for printing.

Michael.P@Raise3D

Re: Source for PEI sheet with adhesive

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi EldRick,

Please let us know how your testing comes out after switching over the build plate. I have a PEI sheet at home for my N2 and it works quite well. That being said I do not tend to print full volume and in a wide assortment of materials.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:02 am

After a light steel-wool treatment on the shiny side, it sticks like crazy with ABS - easy to remove after cooling, but it doesn't pop off by itself at room temperature, like gluestick does. I'm presently playing with lower (than 105C) buildplate temps to see how that works for a bit less adhesion. I'll also try it in the freezer on the print that's finishing shortly, to see if that makes it release by itself.

Next, after some difficult (solid 4"x8"x.125") ABS prints, polycarbonate.

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:52 am

I would heed caution on dropping a hot plate into a freezer with a warp part on it. You may end up buying a new PEI sheet and glass plate combo!
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:43 am

I always let everything cool down to room temperature first. Then if the part isn't easy to remove, I try the freezer to get a little more part shrinkage to pull it loose.
I've never liked using a palette knife - I've taken chunks of glass out of buildplates removing parts that way.

cullymoto

Postby cullymoto » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:31 pm

I use Cshyde pei sheets on all my printers.

They cut me one at 630mm x 630mm x 30mil
Wasn't cheap, but that thing sticks well to anything except PP and with that thickness it doesn't chip, even when something is a little too stuck.
I use 40mil on my n2+
Bet these sheets will Outlast the rest of the printer

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:32 pm

Bet these sheets will Outlast the rest of the printer

Very possible. I have one nightmare ABS print re. adhesion: 8" x 4" x 1/8", with a pattern on the top.
Corner adhesion is difficult, to say the least. but with PEI set at 105C on the N2 (actual surface temperature around 80C) it sticks like crazy, and needs to be spatulaed off when it cools.

leseaw

Postby leseaw » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:20 am

i use buildtak ez-hot
400x400mm
best printsurface ever

Return to “Hardware”