Reclaim lost build area

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Iamkar33m

Reclaim lost build area

Postby Iamkar33m » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:35 am

Raise3D Team,

I found out today (after many nozzle crashes & horrible noises over the past few weeks) that the binder clips encroach on the effective build area of the machine. I printed a 265mm x 265mm test square (centered to the 305mm x 305mm build area, giving 20mm clearance all around) to demonstrate this. It would appear as the printer wants to print to the very front edge of the build plate. Please see the attached pictures.

2018-01-16 23_30_59-Simplify3D (Licensed to Kareem Ibrahim).png

IMG_0023.JPG

How can we remedy this?

Best,
Kareem

Noren

Re: Reclaim lost build area

Postby Noren » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:41 am

In the box that followed with the printer you have smaller silver clips. They might not give you all the space back. But they are smaller than the binder clips.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:46 am

Iamkar33m wrote:Raise3D Team,

I found out today (after many nozzle crashes & horrible noises over the past few weeks) that the binder clips encroach on the effective build area of the machine. I printed a 265mm x 265mm test square (centered to the 305mm x 305mm build area, giving 20mm clearance all around) to demonstrate this. It would appear as the printer wants to print to the very front edge of the build plate. Please see the attached pictures.

How can we remedy this?

Best,
Kareem

Hi Kareem,

Unfortunately, you are right. If you really need to print to maximum extent of the printing table, the clips will affect.

The solution we recommend is to move them to the rear side of the build plate. This should be fine, but in some cases, the table may still move. If possible, please attach as many as clips you can to increase the hold.
If your machine is a single-extruder type without right nozzle, you can add clip at the right front corner also.
3.png

firesped

Postby firesped » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:13 pm

the other option is to use thermal pads. however to note, the rear clips are screwed into the heated build plate. if you go to remove them, make sure the printer is off and unplugged. shorting out the bed is a costly mistake. one that I have had to experience with my printer.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Iamkar33m

Postby Iamkar33m » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:03 pm

firesped wrote:the other option is to use thermal pads. however to note, the rear clips are screwed into the heated build plate. if you go to remove them, make sure the printer is off and unplugged. shorting out the bed is a costly mistake. one that I have had to experience with my printer.

I've tried thermal pads (4 squares, 1 in each corner) but for some reason the glass bed wants to lift off the pads when it heats up.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:57 am

Return to “Hardware”