Sudden Death of N2 - Support assistance requested

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
EldRick

Sudden Death of N2 - Support assistance requested

Postby EldRick » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:39 am

I have an N2 Dual, s/n 10091710013, purchased from Amazon June 19, in the US.

While printing ABS today, it suddenly died, and now the Power switch has no effect at all. It's totally dead, and I have orders to print.

Help!

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Sudden Death of N2 - Support assistance requested

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:04 am

Please check whether the incoming of the power socket is proper. If so, please confirm whether the LED strips and cooling fans are working or not.
Please shoot a help ticket to us or give us a call at working hour. We will reach to you as soon as possible.
http://help.raise3d.com/helpdesk
Telephone: + 1-888-963-9028
Working Hours: 9 AM - 6 PM (PT)

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:37 pm

Vicki, I cannot enter a support ticket because the bloody captcha on your support page is broken, and will not let me sign in no matter what I do. I have tried for ten minutes and cannot get past the darn thing.

The machine is stone dead - no lights, no fans - dead. And yes, it is firmly plugged in to power.

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:45 pm

Well, it's not that hard, if power is at the wall outlet, there could be the main switch kaputt or the meanwell power supply unit inside the printer would be my frist two stops.

I don't know where the electronics on a N2 are to be found, but it seem to remember there's a cabinett near the spool holders. Open the lid and take a look at the power unit when the printer should be up and running, if the small green LED next to power connectors of the power supply is not lit, it's either the wall outlet, the cable or the main switch. If it's lit and there not even the faninside the power supply spinning loud, it's most likely the power supply unit.

Be advised, open the lid of the electronic box without the power cable being plugged in and take a look inside, there's a pretty big aluminium casing, that's the guy you're looking for, find the wire connector and make sure you don't have to fiddle around with main power voltage whilst checking the LED. Once you found the connector and the LED, plug it in and power the printer up. If nothing happens and the LED doesn't lit, the PSU is most likely gone. IF you're familiar with a DMM and AC Power (!!!), check input voltage at the PSU, if there's none, main switch or AC power cable are faulty. If you're not comfortable with working under AC power, better get someone who knows how to check this and proceed based on the results.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:55 pm

I'm pretty sure the power supply is under the printer, while the controller board is inside the box near the spools. No fan is running, so I'm guessing power supply or switch.
In any case, i'll be working this over the phone with Raise3D today.

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:59 pm

Great, i personally had this happen on an other printer with lots of urgent things to print. Since then i always have a spare unit at hand, they're pretty cheap and with a little luck, you may get one with a not so cheap fan inside the PSU(equals to less constant noise), or, even a unit with a temperature controlled fan.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:36 pm

Contacted R3D and diagnosed a blown fuse in the power switch. It's a 5A 250V. - $7 for two, at my local hardware.

It makes me a bit nervous as to why that fuse popped, but I'm back in action for now.

For the future, R3D should consider putting a spare of these fuses in the Care package that comes with the machine, or even (gasp!) in the spare fuse holder inside the switch. They include the VW-style fuses for the control electronics, and should also give customers a spare for the mains fuse.
Last edited by EldRick on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firesped

Postby firesped » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:43 pm

Also there is a fuse in the power socket as well. btw. If that went out, the printer would not get power.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Oh, so far, so good. I didn't realize they had one in the Power Socket.

A blown fuse can be just that, ONE blown fuse. The fuse wire might have been a bit underrated or a bit on the low side. If that comes more often, you should go after this.

firesped

Postby firesped » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:09 pm

That type of switched socket is standard to have a fuse. It is a part that pulls out in between the switch and where the power cord plugs in.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:23 pm

The power switch/fuse/socket is a single unit - that's the fuse that popped. There is also a hole to keep a spare fuse in the removable fuse holder.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:40 am

In retrospect, the bad fuse might have been mechanically defective.
It is a glass tube type, and when I pulled it, it looked brand-new - no evidence at all of being blown.
However, when I put a meter on it, it was completely open - no connection at all. I've never seen one of these look pristine after failing. Odd.

Return to “Hardware”