thinking about active cooling options for the motors

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Jab136

thinking about active cooling options for the motors

Postby Jab136 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:53 pm

I typically print with ABS so i block off the build plate cooling from the fans, so I see two options for cooling (other than/ in addition to adding heat sinks to the motors)
1. print a duct to replace the little plastic parts that came with the printer and instead of redirecting the flow to the build plate, I redirect it to the motor for that fan (could cause interference with other parts) the part I am referring to is pictured below
IMG_20180114_164933655.jpg

2. add another fan and mount it somehow, plugging it into the extra port available (probably more feasible as I could mount it to the top of the print head)
has anyone else modded their printer in a manner like this?

AR_LA

Re: thinking about active cooling options for the motors

Postby AR_LA » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:26 am

What about using the extra usb port for power?

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:16 pm

AR_LA wrote:What about using the extra usb port for power?

I have seen posts that it was poorly implemented and can cause catastrophic failures in some of the electronics if you use that port

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:27 pm

I believe using stick on heat sinks would be more effective than using a fan to blow warm air onto the motor. What is the root cause that necessitate the need for extra cooling on the motors directly? Have you had problems with grind out or something?
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:33 pm

Michael.P@Raise3D wrote:I believe using stick on heat sinks would be more effective than using a fan to blow warm air onto the motor. What is the root cause that necessitate the need for extra cooling on the motors directly? Have you had problems with grind out or something?
I have been trying to get a new material to print, I have had it jam multiple times, and I suspect it is at least partially due to the high temperatures that the print head is getting to

Return to “Hardware”