Improvements by using TMC2130 driver.

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Stanislav

Re: Improvements by using TMC2130 driver.

Postby Stanislav » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:45 am

John you turned the drivers I think you've damaged it irrevocably.
I think there is nothing on board but you will find out if you return the old drivers back to it or at least one of them and run the printer
Stanislav

there is always a smarter man than you

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:08 pm

Yes I turned them to face exactly as the old drivers were facing. I did install the old drivers and the board is totally dead. Not even a light on it.
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

Stanislav

Postby Stanislav » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:31 pm

You check Fuse ?
Stanislav

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Sorry to hear your experience John, but Thanks for helping me make the decision not to do this mod.
I've seen magic smoke leak out of things several times in my career, and it's never been inexpensive to put it back where it belongs...

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:02 pm

Sorry to hear that. I was hoping it was just the drivers but feared it could be more. Hopefully it is just the fuse on the motion board. Fingers crossed for you!

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:20 pm

Yeah, checked the fuses first thing. They survived. I'm buying buying all new drivers just in case. I really need to hear from someone who did this mod if I do have the chips in backwards. JetGuy said they were a drop in replacement -- just set the DIP switches Off-On-Off. So I took that to mean to place the drivers exactly as the old ones were. My ignorance of the pins functions on the board and on the driver are what has made me "assume."
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:08 pm

You have the chips in backwards.
Yes, if you plugged in backwards at minimum it blows the drivers and worst case, blows ALL the drivers, even the ones NOT plugged in backwards and the board all in one shot.

I cannot stress enough, stepper drivers have both 24V main power and 5V logic circuits. When you plug them in backwards and blow them NO THE FUSE WILL NOT SAVE YOU. This is why you double check before ever turning on power after replacing any stepper driver. Even just shifting it over in the socket by a pin row is just as bad a mistake.

I have to say, I'm really sad to know this given I went to some effort to take pictures and post them to prevent his kind of error.
This is the correct way.
IMG_0138.JPG

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:48 am

Yeah, I got hung up on putting them in, in the same direction as the old ones. I remember thinking that the board for the N1 must be different because the drivers looked backwards compared to the N2. I assumed it was a different board, but if I had taken some time to actually reflect on that thought, I would have then thought, "But wait, there is only one controller board for sale on the R3D site..." Anyway, lesson learned about not fully considering a change. Sometimes humble pie and some spent coin are the best remedy for haste.

Thanks for answering JetGuy.
Last edited by JohnSays on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
- John

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:11 am

I went ahead and made the 1M resistor mods to prevent thermal runaway to my other N2 and then installed the 2224 drivers for the x and y. Vref is set to 0.51v. Everything appears to work perfectly.

EldRick - Sorry I scared you. The driver mod is actually one of the easiest mods you can do. Just don't stick them in backwards<g>.
- John

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:29 am

Just for clarification, if one is to use the 2224 drivers, all that needs to be done is change the dip switches and adjust the voltage.(?). While if one was to use the 2208 driver, it seems there are two options; 1. Is hardware configuration which you set the switches & voltage. Or, 2. Where you adjust the switches, connect the UART and load custom firmware. (?) Is this correct? Or does the 2208 always require the UART?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:13 am

Neither the 2208 nor the 2224 "requires" UART. Boith can be run completely in standalone mode with the onboard pot making the current adjustment.
2208s can be sold with soldered on pins and heatsink, with the giant "but", being, the cheapest price is with unsoldered pin header and no heatsink.
Panucatt 2224s are sold with the pins soldered, with a giant heatsink, ready for plug and play for right at $10

Both drivers, if you do the deep level mod, do additional soldering and wiring, load custom firmware, then you can enable software controlled current settings.

In addition, the 2224 allows in "standalone" mode meaning no additional wires or firmware, the MS3 pin corresponding to switch 3 allows manual changing of Spreadcycle mode to Stealthchop2 mode. This does not exist on 2208.

If and only if you wish to unlock every single internal setting is the UART additional wiring required and again, what has already been said, the mode you want that most matches the best and current settings is already enabled by default (Stealchop2), everything else would be experimental. The whole point of the expercise is to replace drivers stuck with Stealchop1 (the current TMC2100) and replace them with series 22xx Stealchop2.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:57 am

Jetguy - Thanks for clarification and information about the drivers. I am mainly worried about the once in a blue moon issue with the 2100s. I can get the 2208s easier via DIgikey, already have the headers (pins), and would just need to get some heatsinks.

Thanks again!

mark_3d

Postby mark_3d » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:17 pm

I installed 3 SD2224. X Y and Z. only the Z axis moves backwards. what should i do?

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:31 pm

You will have to swap the positions on some of the wires at the motor as mentioned by Jetguy several posts above. Or put the old driver back in.

Jetguy wrote:
One additional note:
If you upgrade the stock A4988 drivers to other drivers like 2208s or 2224s, there is a chance that motor rotation direction could be wrong (backwards) for those axis. That either requires simply moving the wiring order in the connector socket (swap the 2 wires at either end of the socket) or flashing alternate firmware from source code. Again, the fundamental difference, X and Y are already TMC2100s stock. As such, they are already wired reverse compared to what happens if you plug in an A4988 (just one of those minor differences between series or brands of stepper drivers). I'm not talking about orientation of the actual driver in the socket- I mean the 4 pin wire from the motor as it plugs into the mainboard by each stepper driver socket.

mark_3d

Postby mark_3d » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:35 pm

i try reversing the two external wire of the connector, but the z axis move only in one direction and do a lot of noise.

mark_3d

Postby mark_3d » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:43 pm

i inverted the two wire on one side and now ist works correctly.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:56 pm

mark_3d wrote:i try reversing the two external wire of the connector, but the z axis move only in one direction and do a lot of noise.

This is because you flipped the wrong 2 wires.
Again, the wires are arranged in logical pairs.
Starting from either end it is pair one, then pair 2.
With the cable not plugged in at the mainboard you can measure or check for continuity of the pairs.
If you cross the pairs where both coils jump between pair one and pair 2 then yes, you will have a motor that will not rotate.

Let's say the wires start as
According to what you said: "i try reversing the two external wire of the connector"
This means you did this
4231 swapping only the outer 2 wires.
Since 1-2 are a pair and 3-4 are a pair and at the mainboard the output is still pair one, then pair 2, you have crossed pairs.
However you can correct by swapping the center pair now.

Again, stepper basics 101
There are 2 coils, so 2 of the 4 wires go to a given coil.
To reverse a stepper motor you can do it one of a couple of ways
starting with the same convention starting point
If you swap a single coil pair
or
Or you can swap the entire 4 wires

What you cannot do is cross coils to stepper driver output.
Again, no matter what, when you test the stepper while unplugged at the mainboard
pin locations in the socket are such that
1-2 is a circuit coil loop and 3-4 is a circuit coil loop

Videos showing the basic concept.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iubywKkNEE

mark_3d

Postby mark_3d » Tue May 08, 2018 1:57 pm

I have installed the SD2224 driver on x y and z. The z is very silent but x and y make some noise. More than the stock driver. I set the switch as shown on the previous post.

firesped

Postby firesped » Fri May 11, 2018 11:14 pm

actually, the issue is not flipping the wires. the board raise3d uses are wired weirdly as in the outputs are backwards. You can change this in the firmware. There is a setting to reverse it. I use it in mine.

The panucatt chips are wired this way.
z-htMD4p5blAXrf8dq1dlklztPXcWOI-tw.png

The raise board has wires at the socket as 1B 1A 2A 2B

chip 1A = board 2B
chip 1B = board 2A
chip 2B = board 1A
chip 2A = board 1B

I just want to point this out that I installed drivers and blew out a board long long ago. You can not recover that board as it damages the main board.

when looking at the board with the drivers on the top left. You need to look at DIR pin and it need to be in on the bottom right side of the socket for any driver you install. That is the best way to look at alignment of proper driver replacement install.

EDIT: added graphics for the wiring and reference notes. corrected a mistake on top right side to bottom right side after looking at the board I blew up so long ago by doing this mistake.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Stanislav

Postby Stanislav » Sun May 13, 2018 7:41 am

Hello today's new drivers came,it took me 10 minutes to change and set up I recommend them.
Аnd again, who wants to replace the original drivers with these, be careful with the pins

Тhank the Jetgay

Image Image Image
Stanislav

Return to “Hardware”