Improvements by using TMC2130 driver.

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Iamkar33m

Re: Improvements by using TMC2130 driver.

Postby Iamkar33m » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:47 pm

So if there's no appreciable difference in print speed/quality with this modification, why even bother? I mean I know it helps avoid the chance of skipped steps in certain (rare) conditions, but as ABH said.. there's no visual quality difference between the stock and upgraded drivers.

- Kareem

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:24 pm

And the skipped steps reason isn't enough for you? $20 to plug in 2 stepper drivers (the panucatt 2224s are plug in ready and $9.99 with heatsink) and not waste a print later?

socke

Postby socke » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:22 am

@Iamkar33m:
I already have had the situation, that the same model printed at different locations on the bed could succeed or fail because of lost steps (layer shifts). $20 are definitely worth avoiding these headaches...

Iamkar33m

Postby Iamkar33m » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:09 pm

Alright alright! Twist my arm, will you guys? 8-)

Are the digipot version compatible with our Raise3D N2's? Can we set the vref's via software, or do I need to buy the manual version?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:33 pm

I would buy the manual version. This is because the mainboard we have does not have this pin location for external digipot.
http://panucattdevices.freshdesk.com/su ... 24-drivers
The SD2224 variants.

Standard version - Vref solder jumper shorted and no header pins for Vref. This will work with any controller that accepts pololu style footprint. Vref is adjusted though the Current Adj Pot manually by measuring Vref with a voltmeter.

Digipot version - Vref solder jumper is open and header pins soldered for Vref. This will work for controllers that has on board digipot for current control like the Azteeg X3, X3 PRO (Will require firmware changes) and X5 GT, X5 mini.

Again, what is being said there is do you have a Panucatt produced mainboard (Azteeg series)? Answer is no, you have a Raise 3D mainboard based on the RUMBA board schematics and general specification, and so your stepper sockets do not that that pin location for digipot, nor a digipot installed.
Panucatt_SD2224.png

So again, get the manual version for a Raise3D printer.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:50 pm

Again, plug and play install for this driver.
#1 power off printer
#2 open electronics bay
#3 remove X and Y stock stepper drivers.
#4 Set switches in the stepper sockets for X and Y to middle switch on, outer switches off.
SD2224 switch settings.jpg

#5 after setting switches, insert new SD2224 stepper drivers ensuring this direction compared to the socket
Stepper orientation.JPG

#6 adjust Vref using digital multimeter set to DC voltage. Suggested value for N2 and N2 Plus is 0.51V Vref. I used 0.48V for the smaller N1 steppers.

Using this setup results in proper 1/16th stepping mode to match the TMC2100s you removed and also sets the driver into Stealthchop2 mode by default.
If you want to, you can do the custom firmware and add the cabling for digital settings control, but for the average user, this plug and play mode is likely the settings of where you want to be anyway.

Iamkar33m

Postby Iamkar33m » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:05 pm

Thanks for the simple writeup!

Best,
Kareem

anime_fan

Postby anime_fan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:48 pm

thanks for the write up jetguy, putting these in this weekend :)

mark_3d

Postby mark_3d » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:41 pm

Im new to 3d printer upgrade, but im interested to the stepper driver upgrade. I want to upgrade all my 5 stepper driver with the TMC2208. Do i only need to replace the odler driver with the new one? or shold i do other adjustment?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:11 am

Given this is your first upgrade and I have no idea your skillset, you need to ensure you buy upgrade stepper drivers that already have the header pins soldered and also ensure you have a good proper heatsink.

As such, the original post where I linked directly to Digikey for the 2208 series (cheap at $7.39), but also is not soldered and ready to insert and is lacking a heatsink. Now yes, I know Tim over at Filastruder would gladly solder up a set https://www.filastruder.com/collections ... tor-driver, and I also know that Watterott sells them with pin headers installed too http://www.watterott.com/en/SilentStepS ... -with-Pins, however, for the average person here, the Panucatt SD2224 provides a slightly better heatsink and presoldered headers standard. The other advantage to the Panucatt SD2224 is that Stealthchop2 and Spreadcycle is able to be selected by the MS3 pin state.http://www.panucatt.com/product_p/sd2224.htm

I went over the switch settings and driver orientation here. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6013&start=20#p27247

One additional note:
If you upgrade the stock A4988 drivers to other drivers like 2208s or 2224s, there is a chance that motor rotation direction could be wrong (backwards) for those axis. That either requires simply moving the wiring order in the connector socket (swap the 2 wires at either end of the socket) or flashing alternate firmware from source code. Again, the fundamental difference, X and Y are already TMC2100s stock. As such, they are already wired reverse compared to what happens if you plug in an A4988 (just one of those minor differences between series or brands of stepper drivers). I'm not talking about orientation of the actual driver in the socket- I mean the 4 pin wire from the motor as it plugs into the mainboard by each stepper driver socket.

mark_3d

Postby mark_3d » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:56 am

Yes I think the SD2224 is better and easyer to install. Are this stepper driver only for x y axis?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:27 pm

No, read what I said again. You can upgrade all 5 steppers (4 if a single extruder) if you want.
Generally, Z axis doesn't move fast enough or far enough during most moves in a print to see any tangible "upgrade" is real world practical experience. Sound wise, it will be silent if you upgrade from the A4988, but it's also a curse. The reason I say that is, the Z axis becomes so silent with a silent upgraded driver, you may not catch it moving. This in particular is noticed when homing and it does the backoff sequence and then homes very slowly back to the limit switch. You know it's moving with the A4988 by the sound. When you take that away, the visual reference, you literally have to stare at the rotating backscrew and look at the limit switch to know when it's finished the homing cycle as there is zero sound.

You can also upgrade the extruders. Yes, this also gives a noticeable silence to the machine. We could debate if you see it print better but I generally myself don't even upgrade them- kind of for the same reason. It's so silent, say you start a loading sequence and walk away. It could be extruding so silently, you forget. So yes, you can do it, it really will make it silent. It might be arguable if some fine detail on surface finish on ultra high resolution prints is visible. The flipside is, it becomes so silent, if you used the noise stock to know when it was moving or extruding- you may now be missing that audible tell, and I tell you now, mistakes can be made when you forget it's doing something or not finished homing. Again, accidentally start loading filament, you get distracted for a second, it's extruding away forever making a birds nest of epic proportions and completely silent.
Last edited by Jetguy on Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spid

Postby spid » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:08 pm

Jetguy is the best!
Thank you Sir, for your research and contribution in making this printer a better one.
I have been give a wild goose chase around why my prints don't turn out well over the past 2 years.

mark_3d

Postby mark_3d » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:10 am

Let me know if i'm right or i forget something:
I'm want to install 5 SureStepr SD2224 Stepper driver (manual vref adjustment) for ma X,Y,Z axis and my 2 extruder.
I:
#1 power off printer
#2 open electronics bay
#3 remove all 5 stock stepper drivers.
#4 Set switches in the stepper sockets for X, Y, Z to middle switch on, outer switches off. (AND FOR THE EXTRUDERS?)
#5 after setting switches, insert new SD2224 stepper drivers ensuring this direction compared to the socket
#6 adjust Vref using digital multimeter set to DC voltage (FOR ALL THE 5 STEPPER DRIVER?). Suggested value for N2 and N2 Plus is 0.51V Vref.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:07 pm

mark_3d wrote:Let me know if i'm right or i forget something:
I'm want to install 5 SureStepr SD2224 Stepper driver (manual vref adjustment) for ma X,Y,Z axis and my 2 extruder.
I:
#1 power off printer
#2 open electronics bay
#3 remove all 5 stock stepper drivers.
#4 Set switches in the stepper sockets for X, Y, Z to middle switch on, outer switches off. Yes, for all drivers
#6 adjust Vref using digital multimeter set to DC voltage (FOR ALL THE 5 STEPPER DRIVER?). Suggested XYZ value for N2 and N2 Plus is 0.51V Vref. Suggested voltage for the extruder steppers has not yet been determined, so the starting point is following the Panucatt driver documentation with a VREF of 0.4V for these 2 steppers, and then turn up or down from there based on how warm the extruder motor gets after 15 minutes of usage. Other factors that come into play are any specific extruder motor changes like a Bondtech upgrade. Again, this is the great unknown- I have not replaced the extruder stepper drivers and do not have testing data.
#7 Since Z and the 2 extruders are A4988 drivers stock, plugging in different drivers may have the motor rotation backwards and so either a custom firmware or changing the wiring is required to fix motor rotation for these axis to be correct

The Panucatt instructions are here http://panucattdevices.freshdesk.com/su ... 24-drivers

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:17 am

Perhaps this is known by all but me, but I thought I should mention it. When I tried to move the middle DIP switch to "on," I could not move it. Shortly it became obvious that the set of switches are covered by a square of kapton tape. Just lift the corner with a very small jewelers screw driver, and push it back to semi expose the middle switch. Then you can use the same jewelers driver to slip under the tape and flip the switch and then push the tape back into place.
Last edited by JohnSays on Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

anime_fan

Postby anime_fan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:35 pm

JohnSays wrote:Perhaps this is known by all but me, but I thought I should mention it. When I tried to move the middle DIP switch to "on," I could not move it. Shortly it became obvious that the set of switches are covered by a square of kapton tape. Just lift the corner with a very small jewelers screw driver, and push it back to semi expose the middle switch. Then you can use the same jewelers driver to slip under the tape and flip the switch and then push the tape back into place.

Btw, has anyone run these drivers with the Bondtec BMG mod? I'd like to know if that specific voltage is now known.

I think most people only change the X and Y, I don't think there would be any advantages with changing them out with your extruder drivers?

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:04 pm

Man, had a brain fart there. I don't want to use them with the extruders! Probably there would be the disadvantage of being too quiet.
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:00 am

I installed two SD2224s for my X and Y motors on my N2. As soon as I turned on the printer I heard two small pops from the motion controller board and then smelled a burnt smell. Bummer. Anyway, I don't know what I did wrong. I installed with the power unplugged. I set the dip switches to Off-On-Off and placed the SD2224 pins into the sockets with the trimmer pots orientated exactly like the original drivers.

Any ideas please? Also, is there a way to verify the motion controller board is dead?

IMG_7942.JPG
- John

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:44 am

Comparing your pictures to those posted by Jetguy, it looks like you installed them backwards (180 degrees).
But I don’t know for sure.

Return to “Hardware”