How to convert N1 to single nozzle, gcode control fans.

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
thomasbeeston

How to convert N1 to single nozzle, gcode control fans.

Postby thomasbeeston » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:39 pm

Hi all

New N1 user here. I've had a N1 for about 3 months and got the dual version. I upgraded to bondtech extruders which was really simple to do and a great improvement. You can really tell the difference in weight when comparing them.

I did play around with dual pritning for a while but just couldnt get it right so decided Ill just use the one nozzle (Found out about a Mosaic pallette so may get one at some point).
Anyway I'm wanting some advice on how to convert to 1 nozzle and maybe control both fans via gcode.

On the right I've just removed the nozzle and the heating element, but left the thermocouple in the block as I understand the board needs to sense the temp of both otherwise it will come up with an error.

What I'm thinking is control the left via gcode, I will leave it on all the time but just want the option to turn it off after a few mins when the print is finished.

For the right same again and use the option on the touch screen to set speed if needed. I'm thinking ill need to print a new duct to direct the flow of the right fan close to the nozzle but will need to remove the need for the block and put the thermocouple else where.

Not sure where to place them on the controller board or how to set the gcode in the start and end scripts.

Thanks for any help

Tom

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: How to convert N1 to single nozzle, gcode control fans.

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:55 pm

You need to adjust the fan plug at the extruder board. Please only switch the fan at non nozzle side to code control slot. If re-install the right side nozzle back, please switch the fan back to constant-on slot, in case any wrong code cause no cooling during feeding.
1.png

For the right thermocouple, you can try the single version motion board firmware on our website. It will ignore the nozzle temperature for the right one.

thomasbeeston

Postby thomasbeeston » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi

Perfect, thanks Vicky, didn’t know there was a single version of the firmware.

I’ll switch the right fan tonight and update the firmware.

Tom

tja

Postby tja » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:24 pm

I upgraded to bondtech extruders which was really simple to do and a great improvement.

Hi Tom

I have an N1 dual and am considering the Bondtech Dual Direct upgrade, but all the instructions appear to be for the N2. The only real difference appears to be that the N1 doesn't have the cable chain. Did you have to get creative with the way the cable sleeve attaches?

Thanks

thomasbeeston

Postby thomasbeeston » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:32 am

Hi

Slightly, I can post some photos of how I did it if it helps?

Tom

Return to “Hardware”