how to keep the feed assembly cool

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Jab136
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:00 pm

how to keep the feed assembly cool

Postby Jab136 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:22 am

so, I have noticed that during prolonged prints, the feed assembly of the N2 plus dual seems to get quite warm (to the point where it softens PLA enough to warp a part that was placed on it). I am trying to print a new support material (hydrofill by airwolf) and I keep having issues that may be attributable to that high temperature softening the filament. Is there any way to modify the feed assembly to keep it from getting quite so hot? I am not sure what the source is, whether it be heat creeping from the hotends, or if it is the feed motors. the primary material is ABS, so I am printing with the full enclosure, so that could also be the source of the heat. Any suggestions please?
Edit: for reference, this is what happened during the last print, the filament completely coated the drive gear and the filament folded underneath it
IMG_20180104_122317679.jpg

User avatar
Vicky@Raise3D
Posts: 3702
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:54 am

Re: how to keep the feed assembly cool

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:35 am

Lower voltage of stepper driver can lower the temperature of the working motor.
If still not working for your filament, may need to turn to some heat insulation material to avoid heat from motor to feeding path.

Jab136
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Re: how to keep the feed assembly cool

Postby Jab136 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:26 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Lower voltage of stepper driver can lower the temperature of the working motor.
If still not working for your filament, may need to turn to some heat insulation material to avoid heat from motor to feeding path.
I actually noticed during the process of cleaning the filament out that the right motor was significantly hotter than the left even after both being idle for the entire weekend, I opened another thread about this, and also just opened a support ticket. Also, wouldn't heat conduct along the drive gear? so i am unclear how insulating the motor would help.

User avatar
Vicky@Raise3D
Posts: 3702
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:54 am

Re: how to keep the feed assembly cool

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:06 am

The heat will conduct along gear, but the gear only touch one point on the filament. So I think keeping the loading path and the extruder pad cool will affect more.
Or what about try to add some extra cooling to the motor?

User avatar
DrewPetitclerc
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:05 pm
Location: Morgan Hill, Ca

Re: how to keep the feed assembly cool

Postby DrewPetitclerc » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:18 pm

I have a compressor in my shop with all my 3D printers (6 different printers so far) so I run a whisper of air to each extruder blowing directly onto the leading surface of the extruder feed gear to cool it before contact with the plastic, this has proven to work for all the lower softening point plastics like PLA on really long prints, also the heat sinks added to the motor housings helps a little.
Here is what I did for my UP Plus Pro modded extruder to take care of the hot feed gear chewing through the filament.
https://www.up3d.com/community/viewtopi ... =753#p5474
And here is what I did to my Zortrax M200 Pro modded extruder.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:925851
If I see an issue (non yet) with my N2+ I can easily mod it to add the same type of air cooling to the feed gears.
I already see that anyone using the water soluble support material are having an issue, I've handled those materials but not tried them yet, and they are very intolerant of the high temps of the feed gears and grind out very quickly, so a mod like this would be required.
Senior Principal Designer
CAD expert user
3D Printing Teacher
Designer
Student
Artist
Comic Book collector
All around nice guy!
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiver...etitclerc/about
https://www.tiertime.com/community/

Iamkar33m
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:53 pm

Re: how to keep the feed assembly cool

Postby Iamkar33m » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 pm

Would the bondtech extruders have the same heat issue? I'm guessing yes since it uses the same type of motors.

Jab136
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Re: how to keep the feed assembly cool

Postby Jab136 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:17 pm

DrewPetitclerc wrote:I have a compressor in my shop with all my 3D printers (6 different printers so far) so I run a whisper of air to each extruder blowing directly onto the leading surface of the extruder feed gear to cool it before contact with the plastic, this has proven to work for all the lower softening point plastics like PLA on really long prints, also the heat sinks added to the motor housings helps a little.
Here is what I did for my UP Plus Pro modded extruder to take care of the hot feed gear chewing through the filament.
https://www.up3d.com/community/viewtopi ... =753#p5474
And here is what I did to my Zortrax M200 Pro modded extruder.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:925851
If I see an issue (non yet) with my N2+ I can easily mod it to add the same type of air cooling to the feed gears.
I already see that anyone using the water soluble support material are having an issue, I've handled those materials but not tried them yet, and they are very intolerant of the high temps of the feed gears and grind out very quickly, so a mod like this would be required.

the problem with this is the fact that if you are printing ABS, the enclosure has to be closed, so bringing in a pipe with air would be difficult...

User avatar
DrewPetitclerc
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:05 pm
Location: Morgan Hill, Ca

Re: how to keep the feed assembly cool

Postby DrewPetitclerc » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:52 am

Jab136 wrote:
DrewPetitclerc wrote:I have a compressor in my shop with all my 3D printers (6 different printers so far) so I run a whisper of air to each extruder blowing directly onto the leading surface of the extruder feed gear to cool it before contact with the plastic, this has proven to work for all the lower softening point plastics like PLA on really long prints, also the heat sinks added to the motor housings helps a little.
Here is what I did for my UP Plus Pro modded extruder to take care of the hot feed gear chewing through the filament.
https://www.up3d.com/community/viewtopi ... =753#p5474
And here is what I did to my Zortrax M200 Pro modded extruder.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:925851
If I see an issue (non yet) with my N2+ I can easily mod it to add the same type of air cooling to the feed gears.
I already see that anyone using the water soluble support material are having an issue, I've handled those materials but not tried them yet, and they are very intolerant of the high temps of the feed gears and grind out very quickly, so a mod like this would be required.

the problem with this is the fact that if you are printing ABS, the enclosure has to be closed, so bringing in a pipe with air would be difficult...

If you had looked closely at my pictures you should have noticed I use a tube similar in size to the filament feed tube and I run it in parallel with the feed tubes, actually attached to them and there are so many ways to feed that into the "closed" printer to keep all the rest of the heat in.
As to mounting or plumbing the air, I would look making two holes in the right place in the nice clear plastic cover that Raise3D has provided over the filament path, a nicely placed hole and a 90 degree push fitting, to direct the feed tube path upwards would do the job nicely to direct air right at that pesky hot feed gear, then if you don't have access to a large compressed air source as I do, fear not, a small cheap aquarium air pump could do nicely, I've heard others have tried that, you really only need a whisper of air at a constant feed.
Also I have not looked but if there are any exposed surface on the motors where one could stick a couple of "memory chip stick on heat sinks to help cool the motor, they are also cheap and light and can help.
Senior Principal Designer
CAD expert user
3D Printing Teacher
Designer
Student
Artist
Comic Book collector
All around nice guy!
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiver...etitclerc/about
https://www.tiertime.com/community/

User avatar
Casale8
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:17 pm
Location: The Real Upstate New York

Re: how to keep the feed assembly cool

Postby Casale8 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:22 pm

Replying to the original post, I have not had any issues with this yet.
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein


Return to “Hardware”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests