how to clean filament off of the feed gear

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Jab136

how to clean filament off of the feed gear

Postby Jab136 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:19 pm

I had a print failure earlier, and the feed gear got a bunch of filament stuck to it, I was able to get most of it off, but not all, and I can't figure out how to get it clean. can anyone give me any suggestions?
IMG_20180104_161630344.jpg

Michael.P@Raise3D

Re: how to clean filament off of the feed gear

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:02 pm

I think that in this case it would be best to back the stepper motor out of the print head block and remove the excess filament by use of a small dental pick or other tool. Please see the attached picture for the 4 mounting screw locations for the top extruder motor (Marked in Cyan).
Attachments
2017-10-11 14.45.08.jpg
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:49 pm

Jab136 wrote:I had a print failure earlier, and the feed gear got a bunch of filament stuck to it, I was able to get most of it off, but not all, and I can't figure out how to get it clean. can anyone give me any suggestions?

When I had the original feeder head on my N2+ and I needed to clean the gear(s), I would take the cover off, run a "Load" procedure, wait until the gears started turning and then blast them with canned air as they went by. For bits that would stick to the teeth, I'd do a "Load", stop it when the clogged teeth came into view and then clean them out with a needle or pin.

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:53 pm

jetdillo wrote:
Jab136 wrote:I had a print failure earlier, and the feed gear got a bunch of filament stuck to it, I was able to get most of it off, but not all, and I can't figure out how to get it clean. can anyone give me any suggestions?

When I had the original feeder head on my N2+ and I needed to clean the gear(s), I would take the cover off, run a "Load" procedure, wait until the gears started turning and then blast them with canned air as they went by. For bits that would stick to the teeth, I'd do a "Load", stop it when the clogged teeth came into view and then clean them out with a needle or pin.

quick question about the upgrade, is it just lighter, or does it also run cooler? I think I may be having an issue with the feed area getting too warm. also, thanks for the tip.

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:27 pm

Michael.P@Raise3D wrote:I think that in this case it would be best to back the stepper motor out of the print head block and remove the excess filament by use of a small dental pick or other tool. Please see the attached picture for the 4 mounting screw locations for the top extruder motor (Marked in Cyan).

thanks, I did this and the filament went all the way to the end of the gear. However, I am now noticing that that motor is quite warm while the entire machine is idle (the other one is room temperature) could this be from the previous jam doing some sort of damage to the motor? or is there some other explanation?

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:17 pm

Jab136 wrote:
jetdillo wrote:

quick question about the upgrade, is it just lighter, or does it also run cooler? I think I may be having an issue with the feed area getting too warm. also, thanks for the tip.

I didn't measure the temperature between the two, sorry. I know the stepper heats up some but the rest of the assembly is cool to the touch.

Return to “Hardware”