Hot end not heating up fully

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Hot end not heating up fully

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:11 am

We are so happy to hear that your printer is working again. If you have any other problems, please shoot a ticket on our ticket system. We can set you an one-to-one help there.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:04 pm

Well, I'm still "holding my breath." It is true that it has been working, and at this point looks like it will keep on working, but because in the past it has stopped working just when I thought all was okay, I'm in a bit of a wait and see mode. I'm designing some new stuff right now and should be back to printing in a few days.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

RicaIii

Postby RicaIii » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:38 pm

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge you should remove the right thermal couple from the right heating block. And loosen the left thermal couple. Insert the right thermal couple to the left heating block and keep the left thermal couple inside as well. Please make sure the probes of two thermal couples have been inserted half in to the left heating block.

circuit boards assembly
Last edited by RicaIii on Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:22 pm

Yeah, that was quite a while ago and a whole different extruder now.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:56 am

I thought I should put in a final word on this subject. So, firstly, it is now obvious to me that the temperature indicator in the LCD can rise smoothly AS IF the hot end is heating up when in fact the hot end is not getting much hotter at all. Recently I set the temperature to 275C and I could not get any filament to melt on the hot end. The LCD had shown a steady rise of temperature that leveled off at 275 and stayed right there -- that it stayed right at 275 is a bit of a give away that the temperature is false as it should vary a degree or so. Anyway, I fixed the problem this time and the last two times it happened by un-shorting the thermocouple wires. Right where the wires enter the breakout board the insulation tends to fray and it is hard to see if the metal of the wires is touching. This can happen if (1) no shrink warp has been applied all the way down to the contact parts of the wire and, (2) some of the wire protrudes from the end of the screw down holders. So, when the breakout board is installed and the wires moved over to, for example, plug in the heater power couple, the wires can short and this cannot be seen as the wires are hidden.

In conclusion, it does not seem to be true that the wires will read ambient temperature if they are shorted. I don't know the mechanism behind this, but this is what I observe and the "fix" does indeed fix the problem and the hot end heats perfectly. I have probably wasted more time on this one problem than any other as I could not, until now, definitely and conclusively state the true cause of the problem even though it has happened frequently.

Note that in my recount of the fix back in 2016 with Tech Support, I never state that I knew what had caused the problem. It only went away because of being extra careful about reassembly of the board IMO.

I hope this helps someone else.
- John

Return to “Hardware”