glass bed can't be leveled because it's not flat :/

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
stewart

glass bed can't be leveled because it's not flat :/

Postby stewart » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:39 pm

After spending the good part of a day trying to level the bed (high spot in the middle), I realized that it wasn't possible when looking at the bed from the side, I noticed that the glass was not in contact with the platform in the middle. Logically, if the glass is clamped on the sides and the middle is high, no amount of bed deformation will fix it. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it common? I'm tempted to flip the bed over any try again, but I don't have another piece of buildtak. Suggestions other than ask for a replacement?

Tinkerer

Re: glass bed can't be leveled because it's not flat :/

Postby Tinkerer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:39 pm

Let's call it another indication for a quality control issue at Raise3D's production.
...there's nothing like the smell of fresh ABS in the morning...

jmp

Postby jmp » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:53 am

stewart wrote:After spending the good part of a day trying to level the bed (high spot in the middle), I realized that it wasn't possible when looking at the bed from the side, I noticed that the glass was not in contact with the platform in the middle. Logically, if the glass is clamped on the sides and the middle is high, no amount of bed deformation will fix it. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it common? I'm tempted to flip the bed over any try again, but I don't have another piece of buildtak. Suggestions other than ask for a replacement?

There are 2 causes for high spot in the middle. One is your platform has a bulge in the center, the second is rod sag from the heavy extruder. Glass is almost always flat (you probably adjusted the platform so it bows down which is why the glass isn't flat on it) so I'm guessing you have some rod sag going on. This is why many people (including myself) have gone to the bondtech extruders to minimize that weight and sagging.
RL Name: Jason Preuss Thingiverse: JMP Youtube:http://youtube.com/c/patterntoprint Website: http://www.patterntoprint.com

Vice Chief

Postby Vice Chief » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:29 am

You might find this video that I made helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXAk4eBr21g

stewart

Postby stewart » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:51 am

Vice Chief wrote:You might find this video that I made helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXAk4eBr21g

great video. thanks

acidreian

Postby acidreian » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:12 am

I 2 n2+ dual printers i received from some of the first batches sent the US, That being said watching the video above lol. I do not have 13 points of adjustment. The bottom side of his and mine are very much different. I have never been able to actually level the bed. because of the Center always bowing.

Stewart how many points of leveling do you have on your printer?

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:58 am

There are 2 main types of beds, the early version is a 9 point system and the current version is a 13 point system.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

acidreian

Postby acidreian » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:07 am

Michael.P@Raise3D wrote:There are 2 main types of beds, the early version is a 9 point system and the current version is a 13 point system.

Explains why my bed is never leveled no matter what i do, I have 2 dial indicators mounted to the printing heads both of my printers are exactly the same. they cannot be leveled due to the bulge in the center. i have had this issue sense I bought them. But when comparing to a 300-600$ printer this printer is lacking what a cheap printer does. This is what happens when you support new companies in the beginning.
Only solution is to print large rafts for support on self leveling. which I have nearly 7 5gal buckets full of rafts. which is 100's of $ wasted.

Sorry to hijack your thread stewart

Just fed up and frustrated with my 2 115lb table weights.

Sniper1982

Postby Sniper1982 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:10 am

only solution is to change the actual bed to a thick(min.8mm) alu plate.
I do this at the moment.
Sad for a Printer in this Price class

Regards

Tmo

Sniper1982

Postby Sniper1982 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:12 am

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:52 pm

Or you could just get a Bondtech extruder, and save a kilogram that is making the rods sag, while getting more reliable and accurate extrusion.

acidreian

Postby acidreian » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:56 pm

Sniper1982 wrote:only solution is to change the actual bed to a thick(min.8mm) alu plate.
I do this at the moment.
Sad for a Printer in this Price class

Regards

Tmo

All this said and done. the time and effort i spent with this printer in comparison to a 200$ DIY printer. I found my N2+'s not keeping up with a shit built kit.

Further more i been interested in the new 3DP printers 3dplatform.com
I might just sell these n2+'s on ebay and use it towards a printer that has bugs worked out.

Sniper1982

Postby Sniper1982 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:10 pm

I like my N2.
I did not found a Printer on the market with this Features: closed space, it's big!(12"x12"x12"), nice Touchscreen, dual Extruder and a good repeatability in all axes. Also my favorite was the Zortrax M300, but ist not completely closend and has just a single Extruder.

What i not like:
- Unflat heat bed
- no active part cooling

I don't know how anyone gets the idea to level the bed with screws and also gluing different materials together with different temperature expansions. My bed was not flat at 70°C so i leveled it at this temperature with a dial indicator. At the Moment i print new fan ducts in z-ultrat and of corse the bed at 110°C is not flat. Impossible to print without raft so i hope my plan with the alu plate works.
At the Moment i am waiting for the parts, i think after Christmas i can start to Change. First i Need some Christmas presents

scny

Postby scny » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:37 am

Maybe I’m having the same issue because I haven’t been able to get a successful print or level the bed from the first day I got the N2. After trying to level the bed without the glass plate I thought I had it leveled, but when I placed the glass plate back on it was off at certain sections. I took the glass plate off again to check and that’s when I snapped the center bolt trying to level everything again. And I can’t see a way how that center bolt can be replaced.

Return to “Hardware”