Print head not returning to origin after print

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
DS2017

Print head not returning to origin after print

Postby DS2017 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:06 pm

Hello all,

I have a N2 Plus.

Out of the box the printer was working fine.

However recently, after each print, the extruder head does not return to its origin (bottom left corner).

I have to manually move the head back to its original position (there is minimal resistance).

This however messes up the print coordinates slightly (large prints up to the edge end up falling off the bed even though it's properly within boundaries in ideamaker).

I have updated the firmware and have done a hard reset.
Any other possible solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Print head not returning to origin after print

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:54 am

How about before printing and home XY on screen when printer is idle?
After print complete, what shows on screen, does it show done? Does nozzle stop heating?

Or may be better shoot us a mail to suppor@raise3d.com. So that we can arrange one-to-one tech support to you.

DS2017

Postby DS2017 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:59 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:How about before printing and home XY on screen when printer is idle?
After print complete, what shows on screen, does it show done? Does nozzle stop heating?

Or may be better shoot us a mail to suppor@raise3d.com. So that we can arrange one-to-one tech support to you.

Once a print is done the head returns to X0 (the red axis) but stays around middle of the bed on the Y (green).

I have to manually, with my hands, move the head back to 0,0 and home XY on screen for the next print.

After a print is complete the screen shows that the print is done and the nozzle properly stops heating.

It just doesn't automatically return to 0,0.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:50 am

Does it happen with different models you print?
Which slicing software are you using?
May I see your gcode file? Want to confirm the endcode.

DS2017

Postby DS2017 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Does it happen with different models you print?
Which slicing software are you using?
May I see your gcode file? Want to confirm the endcode.

It happens with 90% of the prints.

We are using ideaMaker.

How do I attach a gcode file? Gives me an error of invalid file extension.

Anubis

Postby Anubis » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:00 am

Check the Y limit switch. I've had a situation where the switch was bent sideways, causing it to be switched on constantly. The printer may be sending the Y axis to home, but it stops immediately because the switch is pressed.

Polarbehr

Postby Polarbehr » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:37 pm

Anubis is correct. I have had this same issue as well twice now with my N2 Plus. On prints that require the nozzle assembly to get close to the Y Limit switch something happens that causes that switch to be bent sideways and trigger constantly. I haven't found out what is causing the actual physical move of the switch yet.

I'd suggest a firmware update that monitors the X/Y limit switches during printing. If they become permanently triggered then to stop print and display an error. This will at least keep potential damage to a minimum.

In the long term what can cause this switch to be bent? The only thing that I can figure out is a move PAST Y Home which shouldn't be allowed.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:36 am

We just developed a protective cover for such kind of problem, to improve the strength of the feet of the limit switch.
Attached the STL files for you. If you'd like to take a try, you may need to switch the fixing screws to be M3*6, longer than the origin two. Hope can help your problem.
1.png
2.png
3.png
Attachments
Endstop Switch Shim (7mm).STL
(262.75 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Endstop Switch Feet Protective Cover.STL
(193.87 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

DS2017

Postby DS2017 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:23 pm

Polarbehr wrote:Anubis is correct. I have had this same issue as well twice now with my N2 Plus. On prints that require the nozzle assembly to get close to the Y Limit switch something happens that causes that switch to be bent sideways and trigger constantly. I haven't found out what is causing the actual physical move of the switch yet.

I'd suggest a firmware update that monitors the X/Y limit switches during printing. If they become permanently triggered then to stop print and display an error. This will at least keep potential damage to a minimum.

In the long term what can cause this switch to be bent? The only thing that I can figure out is a move PAST Y Home which shouldn't be allowed.
Anubis wrote:Check the Y limit switch. I've had a situation where the switch was bent sideways, causing it to be switched on constantly. The printer may be sending the Y axis to home, but it stops immediately because the switch is pressed.

Oh wow this was the problem. My Y Limit switch was bent all the way and hitting the Y rod.

I seemed to bend it back but not completely all the way. Is there a way to recalibrate this Y limit thing? Newbie at this.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:12 am

DS2017 wrote:
Polarbehr wrote:Anubis is correct. I have had this same issue as well twice now with my N2 Plus. On prints that require the nozzle assembly to get close to the Y Limit switch something happens that causes that switch to be bent sideways and trigger constantly. I haven't found out what is causing the actual physical move of the switch yet.

Anubis wrote:Check the Y limit switch. I've had a situation where the switch was bent sideways, causing it to be switched on constantly. The printer may be sending the Y axis to home, but it stops immediately because the switch is pressed.

Oh wow this was the problem. My Y Limit switch was bent all the way and hitting the Y rod.

I seemed to bend it back but not completely all the way. Is there a way to recalibrate this Y limit thing? Newbie at this.

Shoot us a support ticket please. http://help.raise3d.com/helpdesk

Polarbehr

Postby Polarbehr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi Vicky

You are sending me a new Y Limit switch assembly and I will print out the parts and attach. Will let you know how everything works.

Polarbehr

Postby Polarbehr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:15 pm

I think I found what might have caused the problem with moving past the Y limit switch. I created a + symbol 20 mm in each direction and printed it out at dead center in Ideamaker. The print however was off by 18mm in the X and 22 in the Y. Putting the print in the bottom left quadrant.

I used the offset function in Ideamaker to correct for the drift and now prints centered in the software are centered on the build plate.

I still think it would be a good idea to modify the firmware to suspend a print should an X/Y home switch be activated once the print has started.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:11 am

If you adjust the global to adjust the center point to match the real center of the build surface, you want lose printing size.
Since the real size of build plate is 332mm(X) * 340mm(Y), but the printing size is 305mm*305mm starting from the left front corner.
For example, if you adjust the global offset to move the origin point from (0,0) to (10,10), then you will lose 10mm in both X and Y direction, which makes you print can only print 295mm*295mm as max size. Because we set movement limits inside motion board firmware to avoid mechanical damge. Or the print head will crash with the top boundary.

Return to “Hardware”