E3D v6 Adaptor

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
trae@greenlee.cc

Re: E3D v6 Adaptor

Postby trae@greenlee.cc » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:41 pm

So here is what I think is happening based on what's been said so far. correct me if this is not correct
On the stock R3D fan setup layer cooling is always on.
With your current setup it is now optional and off.
This would explain the differences you are seeing.
BTW layer cooling with ABS can be beneficial, in other words, always off is not always correct.

Also thought i share this while i'm thinking about it. Here is a temp ladder test and the fellow did a nice job writing a python script to automate the gcode insertion. Note: I have not tested this with ideamaker. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1579403

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:42 pm

3 things I think that affect your results are:
#1 copper nozzle does put more heat into the filament than your previous Rais3D nozzle (coated or uncoated brass)
#2 the shape and total height of an E3D nozzle is different than the pointy long cone tip of a Raise3D nozzle.
#3 the E3D tip also has a flat land to it around the nozzle to smooth the layer.

Based on what you replied, the think the reported temp is accurate, you are just now seeing better heat conduction to the filament and different results of the nozzle and other details.

detroitus

Postby detroitus » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:54 pm

trae@greenlee.cc wrote:So here is what I think is happening based on what's been said so far. correct me if this is not correct
On the stock R3D fan setup layer cooling is always on.
With your current setup it is now optional and off.
This would explain the differences you are seeing.
BTW layer cooling with ABS can be beneficial, in other words, always off is not always correct.

Also thought i share this while i'm thinking about it. Here is a temp ladder test and the fellow did a nice job writing a python script to automate the gcode insertion. Note: I have not tested this with ideamaker. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1579403

Well, I wasn't entirely clear before. While I was previously using the stock Raise3d hot end, i was absolutely not using stock layer cooling, and would generally leave all layer cooling off when printing with ABS or Polycarbonate. While I was aware that ABS can sometimes
(theoretically) benefit from layer cooling, I've just never been in a position where it was necessary before.

trae@greenlee.cc

Postby trae@greenlee.cc » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:01 pm

Well then im at a loss to explain the difference but I do agree with Jetguy that the hotend is probably not running hotter then requested.
The photo shows a part that didn't have time to cool down between layers not necessarily extruded too hot to start with.
turn on the berd and see what happens.

detroitus

Postby detroitus » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Jetguy wrote:3 things I think that affect your results are:
#1 copper nozzle does put more heat into the filament than your previous Rais3D nozzle (coated or uncoated brass)
#2 the shape and total height of an E3D nozzle is different than the pointy long cone tip of a Raise3D nozzle.
#3 the E3D tip also has a flat land to it around the nozzle to smooth the layer.

Based on what you replied, the think the reported temp is accurate, you are just now seeing better heat conduction to the filament and different results of the nozzle and other details.

That does all make sense. I suppose I'll just need to dial in all my settings and such again to account for that. All in all this upgrade seems to have alleviated the issue with heat creep I was having with the stock hot end, so I'm happy. The next step is getting the Berd Air set-up working and hopefully it'll all tie in to a fully functional machine!

Thanks for the feedback.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:27 pm

FWIW, I noticed a difference switching to copper nozzles VS original brass, and I think that is a major piece of why I saw such an amazing rate with flexible filament. So it doesn't surprise me entirely to see using ABS with higher heater temps you might normally use with less conductive nozzles, and you also run a new copper heater block- yes, i would say lower "required" extrusion temps is a benefit of this setup.

detroitus

Postby detroitus » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:28 pm

trae@greenlee.cc wrote:Well then im at a loss to explain the difference but I do agree with Jetguy that the hotend is probably not running hotter then requested.
The photo shows a part that didn't have time to cool down between layers not necessarily extruded too hot to start with.
turn on the berd and see what happens.

Yeah, it seems I'm just going to be experimenting with settings and various setups until I get it dialed in with the new rig. Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Hardware”