E3D v6 Adaptor

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
trae@greenlee.cc

Re: E3D v6 Adaptor

Postby trae@greenlee.cc » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:41 pm

So here is what I think is happening based on what's been said so far. correct me if this is not correct
On the stock R3D fan setup layer cooling is always on.
With your current setup it is now optional and off.
This would explain the differences you are seeing.
BTW layer cooling with ABS can be beneficial, in other words, always off is not always correct.

Also thought i share this while i'm thinking about it. Here is a temp ladder test and the fellow did a nice job writing a python script to automate the gcode insertion. Note: I have not tested this with ideamaker. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1579403

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:42 pm

3 things I think that affect your results are:
#1 copper nozzle does put more heat into the filament than your previous Rais3D nozzle (coated or uncoated brass)
#2 the shape and total height of an E3D nozzle is different than the pointy long cone tip of a Raise3D nozzle.
#3 the E3D tip also has a flat land to it around the nozzle to smooth the layer.

Based on what you replied, the think the reported temp is accurate, you are just now seeing better heat conduction to the filament and different results of the nozzle and other details.

detroitus

Postby detroitus » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:54 pm

trae@greenlee.cc wrote:So here is what I think is happening based on what's been said so far. correct me if this is not correct
On the stock R3D fan setup layer cooling is always on.
With your current setup it is now optional and off.
This would explain the differences you are seeing.
BTW layer cooling with ABS can be beneficial, in other words, always off is not always correct.

Also thought i share this while i'm thinking about it. Here is a temp ladder test and the fellow did a nice job writing a python script to automate the gcode insertion. Note: I have not tested this with ideamaker. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1579403

Well, I wasn't entirely clear before. While I was previously using the stock Raise3d hot end, i was absolutely not using stock layer cooling, and would generally leave all layer cooling off when printing with ABS or Polycarbonate. While I was aware that ABS can sometimes
(theoretically) benefit from layer cooling, I've just never been in a position where it was necessary before.

trae@greenlee.cc

Postby trae@greenlee.cc » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:01 pm

Well then im at a loss to explain the difference but I do agree with Jetguy that the hotend is probably not running hotter then requested.
The photo shows a part that didn't have time to cool down between layers not necessarily extruded too hot to start with.
turn on the berd and see what happens.

detroitus

Postby detroitus » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Jetguy wrote:3 things I think that affect your results are:
#1 copper nozzle does put more heat into the filament than your previous Rais3D nozzle (coated or uncoated brass)
#2 the shape and total height of an E3D nozzle is different than the pointy long cone tip of a Raise3D nozzle.
#3 the E3D tip also has a flat land to it around the nozzle to smooth the layer.

Based on what you replied, the think the reported temp is accurate, you are just now seeing better heat conduction to the filament and different results of the nozzle and other details.

That does all make sense. I suppose I'll just need to dial in all my settings and such again to account for that. All in all this upgrade seems to have alleviated the issue with heat creep I was having with the stock hot end, so I'm happy. The next step is getting the Berd Air set-up working and hopefully it'll all tie in to a fully functional machine!

Thanks for the feedback.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:27 pm

FWIW, I noticed a difference switching to copper nozzles VS original brass, and I think that is a major piece of why I saw such an amazing rate with flexible filament. So it doesn't surprise me entirely to see using ABS with higher heater temps you might normally use with less conductive nozzles, and you also run a new copper heater block- yes, i would say lower "required" extrusion temps is a benefit of this setup.

detroitus

Postby detroitus » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:28 pm

trae@greenlee.cc wrote:Well then im at a loss to explain the difference but I do agree with Jetguy that the hotend is probably not running hotter then requested.
The photo shows a part that didn't have time to cool down between layers not necessarily extruded too hot to start with.
turn on the berd and see what happens.

Yeah, it seems I'm just going to be experimenting with settings and various setups until I get it dialed in with the new rig. Thanks for the advice.

SteveWallin

Postby SteveWallin » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:26 am

Is there a ready to install firmware file modified to run the berd-air from the HE2 port?

trae@greenlee.cc

Postby trae@greenlee.cc » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:49 am

SteveWallin wrote:Is there a ready to install firmware file modified to run the berd-air from the HE2 port?

scroll up a bit, jetguy discussed how to modify the source to run the HE2 port.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4841&start=140#p33442
I'm not aware of one pre-compiled for this.
There were/maybe still are some drawbacks running custom code on the motion board in how it functions with the touch interface.
Maybe someone who keeps up with this can chime in as i dont use the touch interface and dont follow issues related to it.

trae@greenlee.cc

Postby trae@greenlee.cc » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi again.
all metal hotends are great for high temp materials but sometimes can be a PIA with PLA.
nylon lined hotends work great with PLA but the nylon degrades when running >~240
What if there was a hotend that can run up to 280c (maybe more) yet still have the nylon liner in the area jams tend to occur?
How about a hybrid heat break.
This heat break keeps the hot zone all metal and lines the cold area with nylon.
still very beta but its been working well with the test iv'e thrown at it.
Attachments
IMG_20181116_200447.jpg
IMG_20181116_200443.jpg
IMG_20181116_200432.jpg
hybrid heat break 1.pdf
(73.9 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Last edited by trae@greenlee.cc on Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

trae@greenlee.cc

Postby trae@greenlee.cc » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:16 pm

some shots of the temperature testing i did to see what the temperature was where the Nylon meets the heat break.
Attachments
IMG_20181116_202810.jpg
IMG_20181116_201922.jpg
IMG_20181116_201029.jpg
IMG_20181116_203142.jpg
IMG_20181116_203146.jpg

mb300sd

Postby mb300sd » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:01 am

Made up some mounts to attach the berd air. The pump mount bolts through the hole in the center back of the printer and clamps to the rail.

(2 parts not to scale)

I'm using this front fan mount with it.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4841&start=120#p30302
Attachments
Pump Mount.stl
(979.48 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Berd Air Mount.stl
(65.8 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

mb300sd

Postby mb300sd » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:00 pm

firesped

Postby firesped » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:36 am

I haven't been doing much printing lately and haven't finished installing my upgrades for the berd air pump yet. I picked up some esun elastic filament. I've been able to print with it just by slowing the speed down to 15m/s max.

I was having some problems with my computer so I did a clean install on windows 10. So now I have had to upgrade to the latest version of ideamaker.

What is the opinion of the latest touch screen firmware? has it broken any of the marlin controller firmware? I'm not sure what i want to do if i have to update the firmware in my printer as I haven't had a need to change or play with it in a while.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Return to “Hardware”