E3D v6 Adaptor

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
trae@greenlee.cc

Re: E3D v6 Adaptor

Postby trae@greenlee.cc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:10 am

Sorry bout that.
Please send me your shipping info via email and i will send you a replacement.
I might need the out of spec one back but that depends on if the machinist wants it. wont know about the return till maybe Monday.

SPRINGFIELD-JACK

Postby SPRINGFIELD-JACK » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:11 am

Mine, with the standard heatbreak, are the same.Should they be flush?

trae@greenlee.cc

Postby trae@greenlee.cc » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:15 am

yes, send me an email and ill get replacement out tomorrow

mb300sd

Postby mb300sd » Mon May 07, 2018 10:23 pm

Got the replacement installed and running :) Working great. I also sleeved the entire path with Capricorn PTFE. The teflon guides were a pain to remove for drilling, I broke them both and only had one spare, so I'm down to 1 extruder until parts show up.

@Iamkar33m's fan brackets work great and I'm noticing significantly less curling on my prints. They were pretty hard to print though, turn off "Check Thin Wall" to avoid holes and gaps in the print, took me a few trys before I figured that out. No melting whatsoever printed in ABS.

trae@greenlee.cc

Postby trae@greenlee.cc » Mon May 07, 2018 11:07 pm

firesped

Postby firesped » Sat May 12, 2018 2:13 pm

I started working on a new front mounted cold end cooling today and then I see you have one already. let me try that part. and rework the side units for filament cooling.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

trae@greenlee.cc

Postby trae@greenlee.cc » Sat May 12, 2018 3:03 pm

A couple of notes on mine.
I'm using the set screws on the sides of the tool head to hold hot end, this way the main fan does not have to be removed for adjustments.
In the slt file link there are some options. e.g. Two piece assembly for easier FDM printing, one piece for SLS or FDM with supports, and a single nozzle variant.
After printing, drill bolt holes to 2.5mm and tap them for 3mm bolts.
The hotend fan used in the photo https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/mechatronics-fan-group/MD4028V12B-RSR/1570-1126-ND/5209823 over kill perhaps but i run an open air shop and hot summer days will be here soon.
Last edited by trae@greenlee.cc on Sat May 12, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sat May 12, 2018 4:02 pm

I think a lot of this fan duct stuff is because you are trying to improve on the stock duct locations for layer cooling.
Just throwing this out there as an alternative option I'm working on fitting to mine is the Berd Air Cooler by Maker Hive.
I used this same setup at MRRF with a full blown E3D hotend system and Raise 3D based electronics and firmware (that's actually where I saw it and first bought it last year too) but they have a 24V version of the pump.
DSC05033.JPG

http://www.themakerhive.com/shop/viewit ... oductid=75

The main reason is most air ducts you are designing for print layer cooling have directional flow. The Berd high pressure system provided much more effective omnidirectional flow around the nozzle without causing excessive cooling and since in this topic, you are using E3D parts and heater block, you also use the silicone thermal sock. This combination works hand in hand. You can put the air pump in the base, run thin tubing in the cable chain, and use HE2 MOSFET and output on the mainboard to remap the normal gcode controlled print layer fan output to run this pump instead.
E3D hotend mount.jpg

air tube.jpg

air pump24V.jpg

Again, the whole idea is that rather than multiple fans and ducts and all the problems you are having designing around the mounting points at the extruder head, simply use the Berd system since you already use E3D hotend parts now and have the key element, the heater block and sock arrangement. This then allows for an extremely compact and lightweight head setup with only worrying about 1 or 2 fans to cool the heatsinks. The print layer cooling is handled "remotely" and fed with extremely tiny and flexible tubing via the cable chain. Further, this open even more options. Since you now have both gcode controlled ports at the extruder head open, they can be used for independent heatsink cooling via extruder temp control (an option in the firmware source not currently used) and then again, by rerouting the logical gcode controlled print layer fan to the one free extra output unused at the mainboard that is 24V output natively and much higher power, no issue at all running this pump.

trae@greenlee.cc

Postby trae@greenlee.cc » Sat May 12, 2018 4:17 pm

I think a lot of this fan duct stuff is because you are trying to improve on the stock duct locations for layer cooling.

Yea the stock layer cooling pretty much blows. couldn't resist the pun.
I been watching the berd project and its on my list of things to do.
Since we on the topic of cool stuff :-) I've been playing with Mosaic pallet and so far i'm loving it.
At this point I dont rally have a need for a second nozzle and removed it from the N2.
Last edited by trae@greenlee.cc on Sun May 13, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

firesped

Postby firesped » Sun May 13, 2018 2:31 am

I noticed that when I went to the current fan design, my print quality went way up but the issue I have is that I don't have the air blowing on the print from the reverse side. I saw the Berd-Air posted before and wasn't sure of the price. but it may be that the price has come down now and is affordable. I'll have to consider this. I am in favor that air flow on the cold end cooling should be down from the front rather then the sides. so the air can escape rather then creating a wind wall that goes everywhere you don't want it to go.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

pearson222

Postby pearson222 » Tue May 15, 2018 3:19 pm

Iamkar33m wrote:The nozzle shroud is still printing at the moment, but here is the model I used to design/print the setup. I'm using the stock cold-end fans and added 2x 5015 blowers for the parts cooling.

2018-01-06 12_44_40-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

2018-01-06 12_44_16-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

2018-01-06 12_43_31-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

I'll post completed photos when it's fully assembled.

Any chance you could share the 3d files so that I could retrofit for my own filament fan? It would same me a TON of time and be much appreciated!

Aatard

Postby Aatard » Wed May 16, 2018 12:47 am

Finally getting around to installing the adapter and I’m interested in trying the Berd-air. If I buy it, do I need the eSwitch adapter of can I plug directly into the 24v?

Aatard

Postby Aatard » Wed May 16, 2018 2:15 am

I’m finally ready to install. I’m thinking about buying the Berd-Air. Do I have to buy the eSwitch kit as well or can I connect directly to the 24v?

pearson222

Postby pearson222 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:18 pm

I just finished converting my N2 and am having an issue with the nozzles oozing during idle and preheat. Any ideas as to what is causing this and how it can be avoided? It was never an issue with the stock extruders.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue May 22, 2018 2:28 pm

Aatard wrote:Finally getting around to installing the adapter and I’m interested in trying the Berd-air. If I buy it, do I need the eSwitch adapter of can I plug directly into the 24v?

If you get the 24V version of the Berd air cooler, then yes, you can make a connector and plug it into HE2 at the mainboard, and then remap the gcode controlled fan to the unused HE2 output at the mainboard. That port is limited by the JST-XH connector pins current rating, but well within what is required for the pump. I ran this way at MRRF.

Geckospot Nixie

Postby Geckospot Nixie » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:21 pm

Ok this is outstanding.
This is what I was think of for some time now.
Now a lot of the pain in the neck work is finished.
I'm ordering as soon as I get some info from you experts!
So my questions are:
1. 12V or 24V pump?
2. If 24V how does one remap the gcode?
3. If 12Vwith E-Switch and I place the pump on the upper deck behind the cable chain where is the closest 12V?

Thanks guys

trae@greenlee.cc

Postby trae@greenlee.cc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:04 pm

Geckospot Nixie wrote:Ok this is outstanding.
This is what I was think of for some time now.
Now a lot of the pain in the neck work is finished.
I'm ordering as soon as I get some info from you experts!
So my questions are:
1. 12V or 24V pump?
2. If 24V how does one remap the gcode?
3. If 12Vwith E-Switch and I place the pump on the upper deck behind the cable chain where is the closest 12V?

Thanks guys

I went with 24v connected to HE2 and recompiled motion board code from this source https://github.com/ABH10/Marlin-for-Raise3D-N-series to remap fan pins. Note the branch I used (bltouch) breaks some functions on the touch interface, i dont know if the others will as well.
I haven't dug into the 12v side maybe others can comment on this but if you using the eswitch you can use the 24v pump and existing 12v fan source to toggle the eswitch.

pearson222

Postby pearson222 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:34 pm

pearson222 wrote:I just finished converting my N2 and am having an issue with the nozzles oozing during idle and preheat. Any ideas as to what is causing this and how it can be avoided? It was never an issue with the stock extruders.

Anyone else experiencing this? The oozing is so bad that I have to babysit the printer at the start of each print because otherwise it will drag a piece of filament through the first layer and become a birdsnest.

trae@greenlee.cc

Postby trae@greenlee.cc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:46 pm

Sounds like the nozzle is too hot.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:22 pm

trae@greenlee.cc wrote:I went with 24v connected to HE2 and recompiled motion board code from this source https://github.com/ABH10/Marlin-for-Raise3D-N-series to remap fan pins. Note the branch I used (bltouch) breaks some functions on the touch interface, i dont know if the others will as well.
I haven't dug into the 12v side maybe others can comment on this but if you using the eswitch you can use the 24v pump and existing 12v fan source to toggle the eswitch.

Do you have any pictures or did you make any printable mounts specific to the Bard cooling tube mated with the E3D adapter in the N series printers? I'm trying to work on this over the next few days, but didn't want to duplicate efforts if mounting had been already solved.

One thought I had was using the internal bore where the second hotend normally would be mounted in the central crossing block. Make an adapter that is printed just to hold the tube. This would be very neat and lightweight and very minimalist.

Return to “Hardware”