Carbon Fiber Print surface??

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
walshlg

Carbon Fiber Print surface??

Postby walshlg » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:15 pm

Does anyone have a link to the carbon fiber print beds? I need to order a new one and can't remember where i got it!

walshlg

Re: Carbon Fiber Print surface??

Postby walshlg » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:46 pm

found the link - turns out it was glass fiber laminate but looks like they are out of stock for N2.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=812

What other surfaces are you using?? I drop the plate every now and then so would like to avoid glass !

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:01 pm

I am not sure of many alternatives other than switching to a metal build surface like MIC-6 and attaching an adhesive or buildtak to it. Someone else might have an alternative though.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Vice Chief

Postby Vice Chief » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:42 pm

I'm using 6mm borosilicate glass plates that have been ground flat. They are excellent, but they increase the heat-up time by a few minutes.

Other people like PEI sheets. I have a sheet of it around, but haven't tried it yet.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:47 pm

they got back to me and they are on order but they don't know when the new ones come in BUT I have not tried to recondition the board -> need to get after it with 1200 grit sand paper under water!

Julia Truchsess

Postby Julia Truchsess » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:22 pm

Vice Chief wrote:I'm using 6mm borosilicate glass plates that have been ground flat. They are excellent, but they increase the heat-up time by a few minutes.

Other people like PEI sheets. I have a sheet of it around, but haven't tried it yet.

PEI is great, but it doesn't make your glass flat. Where do you get the ground-flat glass?

Vice Chief

Postby Vice Chief » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:35 am

I had them custom made at a friend's optical fab shop. My .01mm flatness spec was pretty easy for them. :). I also quoted them out, if we can get 10 interested buyers, we can get them for $95.00/ea with a 3 week lead time.

I also had to fabricate new clips for the back of the bed. If there was interest in a group buy, I could have some of those made up, too.

Julia Truchsess

Postby Julia Truchsess » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:41 pm

You can buy a 0.25" MIC6 aluminum plate from McMaster for $47. Al has twice the thermal conductivity of glass, but they don't sell it in smaller thicknesses.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:13 pm

Julia Truchsess wrote:You can buy a 0.25" MIC6 aluminum plate from McMaster for $47. Al has twice the thermal conductivity of glass, but they don't sell it in smaller thicknesses.

I bought 2 12x12 sheets of 1/4" mic6 on eBay for $40. I'll be printing up some ePC add-ons to engage the clips. I get my PEI from McMaster.

I haven't tested it yet, but i figure i can add an XY offset at the end of my start script to move the build inboard 10x10mm to get an uninterrupted 12"x12" build area. That will give me 10mm for the clips on the front edge.

cullymoto

Postby cullymoto » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Hey Walshlg
I have one of those glass fiber beds you speak of.
It's no good. Nothing sticks to it at all, so your still doing tape / glue / pei / buildtak etc.
Waste of significant cash because an aluminum sheet is ¼ the cost and similarly needs the tape etc.

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:23 pm

I have a PEI sheet on my N2 at home and it works really well for PLA but I have not had much success with other materials, it will require more testing though. When in doubt, Glass and Glue! (Yes I know somewhere out there a filament will not stick with that combo).
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Interesting finding: The manufacturer is waiting for new boards and rec that I sanded the boards with fine grit. I sanded with 800 and 16oo grit and white flakes started coming off the plate - My guess is that the hairspray is contaminated with some heavy wax that you can't easily wash off. It accumulates with time and flaked off when I sanded. So long print on it now, we'll see if everything sticks well. May need to try long soaks in a heavy duty detergent if this is really a wax buildup.

AR_LA

Postby AR_LA » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:18 pm

I ordered one of those a while back but haven't tried it out yet. I also haven't had success with hairspray though, I can't seem to find that aquanet around, but pva glue seems to wash off completely. Hairspray definitely took more than hot water to wash off, I think I used detergent and then acetone/alcohol just to get everything off the glass

I intended to use that plate with polycarbonate and nylon using wolfbite, but I haven't had much time to experiment lately. I also have a garolite and extra glass plate I haven't gotten around to trying.

MDVolle

Postby MDVolle » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:58 am

Has anyone played with liquid (sprayable) PVA on glass or aluminum plate? I have some from doing fiberglass work - there are materials that will not set up until isolated from oxygen (air), so you spray the part with PVA to seal it while it sure then wash off the PVA with water - same stuff that seems to make the purple glue stick work but I think I could spray a flatter and more even layer than I get with the stick.

I have had good luck with the purple glue stick on glass with both the NylonX carbon fiber from Matterhackers and with the Carbon X Nylon from 3DX - which seems to print better and stronger, so I have switched to it although the filament is brittle when dry and you have to feed it carefully or it can snap off.

Return to “Hardware”