Bondtech feeder underextrusion

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
ChrisM

Bondtech feeder underextrusion

Postby ChrisM » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:55 am

Hello,

I switched from the standard feeder to the Bondtech dual extruder on my N1 printer as the old feeder kept slipping when I tried to use soft filament. After I installed the Bondtech extruder it seemed like it is undererxtruding the filament. Even when I switched back to the Raise3D PLA filament and standard settings, I keep having the same issue. I double checked, and there is no sign of slippage of the feeder.

I tried to play with different feed-rate (300/300) settings and nozzle-flowrates (up to 200/200) and reduces pint-speed (down to 10mm/s) and still even printing a raft ends up looking like in the picture.

Please let me know, if anyone has an idea how I could adjust my printer to make it work again,

thank you
Attachments
2017-10-07 18.45.16.jpg

JeffS

Re: Bondtech feeder underextrusion

Postby JeffS » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:29 am

Hi ChrisM
Have you changed your E Steps Per Unit on the printer? You must install the latest touchscreen firmware upgrade to do this. In the Settings menu, you can change the steps per unit for all motors. Just change the E Steps Per Unit. Assuming you have the latest BMG direct extruder, the E steps per unit should be 415. If another Bondtech unit, find out what to change the E steps to and adjust the same way. This should make the extrusion speed the same as the stock extruder.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:18 pm

You can also set this in the slicer. Insert the following line in the Starting Gcode.

M92 E415

ChrisM

Postby ChrisM » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:36 pm

Thank you, this worked well. Do you also recommend to adjust this setting for different materials to get best printing results?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:52 pm

No, I recommend using flowrate tuning for minor adjustments between filaments
I strongly recommend though that the baseline update of steps per mm to match your hardware uses the new added LCD menu hardware menu so that load and unload filament menus work correctly.

Hopefully that answers both questions.
So again, since you updated the hardware of the machine to a new extruder requiring a hardware setting- do that in the hardware menu of the LCD screen.
Leave your software side (ideamaker) alone so that when it updates on occasion and may lose your custom settings in the process- your printer still works right with your updated hardware.

Return to “Hardware”