Printer Filament Monitor

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
mechengineermike

Re: Printer Filament Monitor

Postby mechengineermike » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:05 am

TOtally agree with the guy that said that the kickstarter filament sensor is more complicated than it seems. You get to wire everything up and try to get the firmware in sync with the device. Anyway optical sensors arent 100% reliable for this application, and intermittent functioning in this situation makes that solution useless.
A simple auditory alarm is probably the cheapest and easiest solution possible. Its also all thats neaded the majority of the time. This is the one I use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSIn-3KaiIE

Tringia

Postby Tringia » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:36 pm

Hey guys,
The Raise3D has a battery backup recovery, why not have a mechanical sensor that kicks out a contractor when no filament is sensed, that kills power to the printer. This way when you replace the filament you can simply turn the machine back on and recover your print.
This requires no software revisions or detailed internal wiring, KIS (Keep It Simple)
Just a thought!

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:36 am

Tringia wrote:Hey guys,
The Raise3D has a battery backup recovery, why not have a mechanical sensor that kicks out a contractor when no filament is sensed, that kills power to the printer. This way when you replace the filament you can simply turn the machine back on and recover your print.
This requires no software revisions or detailed internal wiring, KIS (Keep It Simple)
Just a thought!

Actually, we are considering a similar system as you said. Only one difference is not kill power but pause the print. Because the states of the voltage of battery and resuming module of every printer are not the same, pause will be much safer than kill power.

woofy

Postby woofy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:17 am

Excellent idea Vicky, I would find that very useful.
Raise3D N2+, Ultimaker2 & UP plus printers.

wflynn

Postby wflynn » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Did Raise3D ever implement a software add-on that lets me pause the printer if a filament monitor detects out of filament?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:17 am

Do you mean that you want to install your own filament monitor but need a code to trigger a pause?
Or do you mean the one we are currently testing? If you refers to ours, yes, we will add pause function into it.

igalloway

Postby igalloway » Fri May 19, 2017 2:04 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Do you mean that you want to install your own filament monitor but need a code to trigger a pause?
Or do you mean the one we are currently testing? If you refers to ours, yes, we will add pause function into it.

When are you expecting this to be ready?
Of course you want to sell an add on, but a simple GPIO input to the Linux machine would also be nice. There are plenty of simple off the shelf sensors that should work.

I recommend whatever sensor you add that i should attach pretty easily to the little feed tubes that go from the filament area to the topcover area. I, and I assume others, have added feed tubes to guide the filament over to the printheads as some filaments would snap occasionally on me because of the head movement.
For reference the thingiverse guide i printed is here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1473365
I looked a quite a few and this worked very well and was inexpensive.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon May 22, 2017 9:23 am

Our filament monitor is not only for out of filament, so it is not just a simple sensor like endstop switch.
Ours can also detect nozzle jam. So it will be more complex than the one you mentioned.

I haven't got the clear release time of it, but I can sure that it can be released in this year.
If you want, I'd love to show you the current sample monitor we are testing.

RogerSt

Postby RogerSt » Tue May 23, 2017 5:03 am

Hi Vicky

I would love to hav a filament monitor.
Yes, please show the current sample.
Raise3D N2 Plus

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue May 23, 2017 9:10 am

Here it is.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Sorry, a little massive on our sample machine.

socke

Postby socke » Tue May 23, 2017 9:24 am

Can you say anything about how is it working (principle of detection) and the planned price tag?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue May 23, 2017 9:43 am

When it find that it cannot detect any movement from filament (which includes both out of filament and nozzle jam), it will feedback to motion board. Motion board will report an error on screen and pause the print in the mean time.

For the price, I have no idea currently. As you see, it has not been completely finished by now.

socke

Postby socke » Tue May 23, 2017 9:51 am

Is it using a position encoder like the Tunell Monitor?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue May 23, 2017 11:29 am

The position encoder is similar. But we are close-loop, they are open-loop.

cullymoto

Postby cullymoto » Tue May 23, 2017 3:08 pm

I applaud efforts here. My only concern is that this needs an option to be disabled.
I often run Filaments so brittle that they cannot be placed inside the n2 cabinet, the bending path breaks them.
I run them from above, mounted on a shelf. On such an example the filament sensor would not be used.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 24, 2017 2:51 am

Fixing it at different places won't affect its function, as long as you are using guiding tube (guiding tube is necessary part for it), since even on our side we have't design a seat for it.
We will increase its cable to be longer so that you can move it to other place you want to install.

frjez

Postby frjez » Thu May 25, 2017 9:22 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Fixing it at different places won't affect its function, as long as you are using guiding tube (guiding tube is necessary part for it), since even on our side we have't design a seat for it.
We will increase its cable to be longer so that you can move it to other place you want to install.

cullymoto is right. For example all Carbon reinforced filaments are extremyl brittle. The best position, I guess, would be just behind the extruders as long as you mande the sensors small enough.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri May 26, 2017 3:01 am

If fix the monitor behind the extruder, there will have no space to install the guiding tube.

obfuscated

Postby obfuscated » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:00 pm

Glad to see there has been some progress on this

Return to “Hardware”