Printing with a 1mm nozzle

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
obfuscated

Printing with a 1mm nozzle

Postby obfuscated » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:17 pm

Recently watched this video where the author tries to speed up printing on the n2+ using a larger nozzle (1mm)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hwc-wbihUs&t=326s

According to the author this mostly fails due to the slicing in ideaMaker not being able to make the correct adjustments for printing at this layer height?

Anybody else have any experience trying much larger nozzles?

Brandon

Re: Printing with a 1mm nozzle

Postby Brandon » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:21 am

I have been aware of Makers Muse for quite a while. He is a very dynamic guy. I enjoy his work and I think many people do based on where he started and has gotten to. In the video he called it a "admittedly stupid hack". I have worked with a customer using large diameter nozzles on the N2 +. In addition to a larger nozzle size they are pushing up the speed the print head moves at and as Angus pointed out this introduces several issues. The user in question uses multiple brands of machines and prints very large parts all at the same time to achieve quick large sculpture type objects by combining them. As with many things in 3D printing experimenting one could achieve a better out come by tweaking their settings to look for the sweat spot of performance. Angus points out some things he did in the video but we are missing a lot of information on how much time was spent experimenting and what exactly was done It is obvious to some degree some changes were made to infill. There are many other things to consider around the type of file you are printing, how will retraction be handled, what about start and stop points in layers, what speed are you moving between points. I'm sure given time you can get good results. I'm sure some of the community will share some specifics thoughts here. The one thing I've seen many post on is perseverance usually results in a good outcome.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:06 pm

Hope this can help you getting an easy start, although that was ABS printing.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=829

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:39 pm

According to the author this mostly fails due to the slicing in ideaMaker not being able...

So use a different slicer. Cura is one of the best, and it's free to use. Outside of that, it's just a matter of tweaking feed speeds and temps.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:09 am

FWIW I printed fine using 800um nozzles and increasing extrusion width up to 1.2mm. The only thing you need to do is really cut your speed down, printed at 20mm/sec. Also need to work on temperature and retraction. Made nice clear vases in petg BUT best was still extrusion width 800um and layer ht 600um.

Return to “Hardware”