Clogged nozzle

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
darbyvet

Clogged nozzle

Postby darbyvet » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:28 pm

OK my new issue with my N2. I tried a different filament (PLA).The first spool was fine, but at the start of the second spool I started having some issues.I got a clogged nozzle.I went through the unclogging routine and the filament started flowing again, but then it was under exturding (I think).I switched back to the filament provided with N2 as was recommended.I set the nozzle to 250c and ran the stock filament through for 2 minutes.I then tried printing again, but I had the same under extruding issue and then the extruder motor started clicking because the filament wouldnt feed.I have attached some pictures of the print.

The new filament I used had melting temps of 180-210c.I was initially running it using the factory settings of the N2.I read some posts from Vicky at raise3d and she recommended starting at 190 for non stock PLA.

I was also having issues with plate adhesion.I am printing fairly large flat pieces.I raised the bed temp from 40 to 65 and that seems to have helped.I was reading about rafts vs brims but I am bit confused as to which to use.

SO can you help me figure out what is going on with my nozzle based on the pics? I am using I will need to remove the hot end and try a more thorough cleaning .I am not sure I fancy the idea of messing around with the hot end with a blow torch.I am guessing there is nowhere I can send my hot end for cleaning?

print1.jpg
underextruding
print1.jpg
underextruding
Attachments
print2.jpg
underextruding

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Clogged nozzle

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:42 am

Would like you to double check the distance between nozzle and build surface or the print result of the first layer of Raft.
I saw a lot nozzle scratching marks on your buildtak.

And does your filament needs heat preservation?
If not, there is no need to install the fan bottom cover to block the downward cooling air which is used for cooling the just extruded out filament.

Hard to say whether there has any debris due to overheat inside the hotend. You may need to disassemble the hotend to double check.
Do not apply any force onto the throat tube, or you may break it. We recommend you to remove the hotend from the mount then take them apart.
If it is hard to disassemble, there may have filament stuck inside the threads, please heat them then continue to soften the filament inside.
Attached an instruction video below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3EaDHNdlKU

darbyvet

Postby darbyvet » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:22 am

Thanks Vicky,
I did have an issue with the nozzle being too close to the build platform, but I have corrected that.I spoke with the vendor who sold the filament.I think my nozzle temp was too high.I disassembled the hot end and there was a lot of filament in the threads of the hot end and in the extension tube.
The raft prints fine with no problem.The issue starts once it starts printing the bottom layer of the part

"And does your filament needs heat preservation?
If not, there is no need to install the fan bottom cover to block the downward cooling air which is used for cooling the just extruded out filament."

I dont understand this statement .I am printing with PLA and the temp is supposed to be 205c according to the vendor.I was using 215.I have not altered the fa bottom cover.It is exactly as it was from the factory.Am I supposed to remove something if I am printing PLA?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:28 am

If PLA, there is no need to install the bottom cover, it is for high temperature filament to block the downward cooling air, which may cause shrinkage.

darbyvet

Postby darbyvet » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:01 pm

Are you talking about the piece of plastic that is attached to the cooling fan that sits between the cooling fan and the hot end?

Brandon

Postby Brandon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:06 pm

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1069/ ... 1392786921

see section c, theses are small plastic covers to stop the flow going across the nozzle. You will not need them for PLA normally.

darbyvet

Postby darbyvet » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:10 am

Thanks Brandon,
the cover was on.I removed it,put a new hot end on and so far everything is working

Carl

Return to “Hardware”