Printer shutdown without power off?

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
rotelly

Printer shutdown without power off?

Postby rotelly » Thu May 19, 2016 12:33 am

Is there a way to turnoff the printer without flipping the power switch. Putting the printer into a standby state?

MikeWall

Re: Printer shutdown without power off?

Postby MikeWall » Thu May 19, 2016 1:10 am

I'm not aware of one. Good feature to have, maybe R3D can add that feature. Turns off all fans and lights but leaves power to the battery.
N2 KS-Raise3d'er

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu May 19, 2016 2:00 am

It's not wired that way, so no. Unless you do a serious rewiring and total firmware overhaul, there is no magic patch to make this happen.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu May 19, 2016 2:06 am

I'm just trying to tell you that early on, we looked at this in depth.
The PSU is wired constant on. The LEDs and fans are not on controlled outputs. Sure, you could dim the LCD but it's still on, fans running, inside LEDs blazing.

It requires major mods to the mainboard, rewiring the power soft on to a relay, a secondary PSU to charge the battery, and a whole bunch of other changes. It's possible, but kiss any warranty or support goodbye. You have to touch or modify nearly every major system in the printer to even begin to do this.

glassy

Postby glassy » Mon May 23, 2016 9:49 pm

Had the problem of touch screen staying on and not reacting after switching off the N2 Plus printer.
It was the first switch-off after upgrading the firmware to v0.6.7
What I did is I have carefully unmounted the plexiglass corner and the plastic vertical bar close to the touchscreen-controller box.
Opened the back of the box and installed a switch on the positive line of the battery.
Though there is a socket for the reset on the board, actually switching off the battery would do the same. Plus if I would ever need to keep battery disconnected (for a prolonged storage etc. I would be able to switch the battery off without doing any disassembly of the plexiglass.

Just be careful when taking off the back cover of the touchscreen-controller box - the battery is glued behind on this cover (question to Raise3D guys - is it safe?).
20160524_004348.jpg

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue May 24, 2016 5:54 am

question to Raise3D guys - is it safe?

Not the sure the question is about your modify or the battery location we set?

And the answer is both are safe.

MedClub1

Postby MedClub1 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:41 am

SO this printer is always on? why:? isnt that going to wear out parts fast? motherboard, fans, etc. Besides the noise of fans continually going. I do not understand why it would be designed with no power off, or stand by?? very confused at this..

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:30 am

The power switch is at the back side of the machine. If you want to cut off the main power, you can just shot the switch off, then fans and boards will stop working.

Targo

Postby Targo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:11 am

In Germany, I use an energy saving socket from Ansmann. It can be determined at which power consumption the socket will be switched off. When the printer is ready, the heater is switched off and the power consumption drops. If the low power consumption is at least 60 sec, the socket will switch off.

http://www.ansmann.de/produkte/ladegera ... dosen/aes3

Return to “Hardware”