How to quiet Noisy Fans?

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Mecha_Monster

How to quiet Noisy Fans?

Postby Mecha_Monster » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:19 pm

I want to quiet the extruder and CPU fans. What options do I have? What do you suggest?

I have read that some users install Noctua fans for the extruders. Anyone here already tried this mod?. Also, what other improvements should look for?

Thanks!

walshlg

Re: How to quiet Noisy Fans?

Postby walshlg » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:19 pm

That is odd, my fans are quiet enough that I don't hear the printer when more than a meter away. Noctura fans are amazing for my PC. You may also want to re-design the fan shroud, it is rather crude and is going to increase noise since the airflow is not laminar. The powersupply fan is ducted but you may need a new one.

Mecha_Monster

Postby Mecha_Monster » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:33 pm

My N2 is more quiet than my Makerbot Replicator 2 and than the Objet30 Pro. Nevertheless, I am sure that the noise can be improved.
Amazon have Noctua fans for 14.99, I think I will give it a try.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:40 pm

please let us know how well it works

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:14 pm

I searched Noctua fans on Amazon, and noted that all those listed use a 4-pin connector, rather than the 2-pin used by the N2 extruder fans.
However, on mine, the extruder fans are barely audible, and even less so since I repurposed the right fan as a program-controlled part-cooling fan (I don't use the second extruder).
What is quite loud on mine is the controller fan, which is practically home-vacuum loud, and does a lousy job of cooling, since it does not take in any fresh air, just recirculates hot air inside the electronics box.

tja

Postby tja » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:45 pm

My N1 had noisy fans, which made it uncomfortable to be with in the same room, so I had to fix it. Generally speaking, low noise fans achieve their decibel reduction by running slower and moving less air. Given that the Raise3D engineers may have made important design decisions based on fan airflow, I didn't want to 'throw the baby out with the bathwater'
I quietened the power supply fan by replacing it, see thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1486#p12930

I reasoned that airflow was not so important with the controller fan, so I dropped the supply voltage to it by cutting the wires and soldering in a dc to dc voltage converter. There are a number of ways you can reduce the voltage to a fan, but this approach has the advantage that you can set it where you like. I set mine to 9 volts (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini360-MP230 ... 212cf88332)

The extruder fans are a problem because you want them quieter, but with the same or greater airflow. A quieter printer that clogs up the cold end isn't much use! Mine extruder fans were noisy and changed their pitch during the day! I peeled the manufacturer's label off the fan and added a drop of very light oil (electric razor oil or sewing machine oil). It made a big difference, they are much quieter and it was free!

Now my N1 is very quiet

frjez

Postby frjez » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:12 am

Lucky guys!! Mine extruder cooling fans are whistling like crazy! And on top of that they are singing even when not printing, which really really annoys me. The radial fan in the controller box is yet another story. It's soooooo loud that I have to replace it. And the funny story is that is over-dimensioned and actually the controller board doesn't even need so much fresh air! Some in the forums tried to connect it to 5V instead of 12V (originaly). Some other used a voltage regulator to slow down the crazy spinning.

Noren

Postby Noren » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:59 pm

My family really doesn’t like the noise from the fans on the N1. :(. The printer is annoyingly loud even then not printing.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:15 pm

wow, well I think replacing the fans might be a good step, also make sure housing isn't touching them

lami3d

Postby lami3d » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:44 am

Hello,
a good change i made is to replace main board fan and power fan (under the printer) by this one (chris67 from france design at this page to see pictures https://www.lesimprimantes3d.fr/forum/t ... ment-69199 )

https://www.materiel.net/ventilateur-pc ... 30082925:s

Now, only de hot end fans make noises and i think i'm gonna try the noctua fans

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:36 pm

Gotta tell you, I mod computers and fans are funky, you never know when you are going to get a bad one. I always keep spares on hand

Return to “Hardware”