Power back up for raise 3d n2 plus

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Ritesh

Power back up for raise 3d n2 plus

Postby Ritesh » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:12 am

Hello everyone,
I want a power back up (inverter) for my n2 plus machine,so that i could run the machine without any breaks. Could anyone suggest one? I am not sure of the required load. If anyone is using one, kindly let me know please.

JohnSays

Re: Power back up for raise 3d n2 plus

Postby JohnSays » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:50 pm

I'm not sure why you are using the word "inverter" here. Are you looking for a UPS? When running the N2 uses about 450 watts per hotend -- but that varies significantly up and down as the controllers turn the heated bed, hot ends and motors on and off repeatedly. I figured going with an APC SU2200 would give me about 20 minutes of runtime after a power outage. I bought one used for a very cheap price and then went to refurbups.com and bought batteries ($192 shipped). If you want something that will get you through momentary to a few minutes power interrupts, go with any decent 1000VA UPS. I like the CyberPower CP1000PFCL PFC Sinewave for my computer equipment.

Btw, when I first looked at doing this I had the mistaken idea that maybe I could find a UPS that would allow a job to complete if the power went out. Unless you are able to afford a server room sized UPS, that is not going to be an option. The SU2200 is the largest practical 110V UPS on the market I believe. It wants a 30amp 110V socket! I was able to give it 20 and it has been happy for years.
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, and adjustable table

bellatrixzen

Postby bellatrixzen » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:25 pm

John is correct. I am using a small APC UPS just to protect against brownouts and quick power blips.
The most I have seen the N2+ pull is 486 watts. That is running one extruder heater, the heated bed, x+y steppers, and controllers.
That does not include the two LED strips for lighting as mine are disconnected.

This would give me around 6 or so minutes of runtime during an outage.
Beyond the blips and brownouts, in my area if power is out longer than a couple minutes, it is going to be hours.
In which case the UPS is useless anyway, and I will power it off, let the printer save its state, and resume the print once power is stable again.
The N2+ does an excellent job of doing just that.

Now, if you want a nice large UPS that you could run the N2+ on for days, I own one you are more than welcome to come and pickup at no cost to you. You would only need to install 10 12v automotive sized gel batteries, and get all 800 pounds of it out of my basement and in to yours :) It isn't much bigger than a medium sized refrigerator, and looks a whole lot cooler!

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:54 pm

So bellatrixzen, what is that doing in your basement in the first place?
- John

bellatrixzen

Postby bellatrixzen » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:09 pm

Heh, A local K-Mart my company was remodeling years ago was replacing it rather than putting new cells into it, so I took it apart and popped it into my basement to run my radios and computers and just look really cool.
And it did, but it was also pretty loud so I always had to have headphones on to actually use the radios. Not the best situation when you are listening for weak signals....

Beer on top of UPS added for scale:

IMG_20170821_144725691.jpg

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:29 am

That's a beast!
- John

Return to “Hardware”