Hot motor

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
artlab

Re: Hot motor

Postby artlab » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:12 pm

I'm going to try the direct board method for testing the new motor, but as a final solution (and to avoid re-wiring the long internal cable), would you recommend I get a female end to the same connector with the old wiring reconfigured to act as a bridge? As long as the connections were strong and the path is correct, I'm not expecting any issues doing this.

Thoughts on the best way to do this? I'd like to avoid soldering at all costs and I'm not too savvy on the technical names for the connector in particular.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:08 am

Sorry, I got busy and this message I didn't see until now.
I hope you got this resolved.
would you recommend I get a female end to the same connector with the old wiring reconfigured to act as a bridge?

No, because every connector chain or adapter is another potential failure. My honest take is, that if you cannot configure the stock connector right, what makes me think you can build some adapter and have it be right? Sorry if you find that offensive, I'm just airing my honest thoughts.
I'd like to avoid soldering at all costs

Absolute agree if soldering is not your skill, this is not the ideal first project to start on. The reason is you want ultra reliable connections. Since this moves and vibrates- the last thing you want is mid print failures and odd problems that are hard to troubleshoot because of bad connections. Hence why the answer is just reconfigure the stock connector. I realize this is a learning curve for some of you but that is the most effective fix- to just reuse stock parts and simply unlock and move the pin sockets and wires and plug it in.

I gave testing links and videos, I would hope at least one of them helps. If not, please reply back and I'll attempt my best to help you further.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:28 am

Also, I want to make it clear where my frustration is.
I've tried my best to provide both Raise 3D and every owner here the information on this hot motor topic.
The whole reason you are here is because you likely have a hot motor problem from factory and the answers and solutions that Raise 3D has provided to date did not suite your requirements or needs.
Unfortunately, when you start changing motors- Raise 3D has starting pulling the "warranty voids and limited technical support card warnings" as of late. It's not my intent to force or even suggest a user voids his or her warranty- at the same time, there is a bit of a reality check.
These printers (especially N2 and N2 Plus) are so large and heavy, and without regional and local support districts and traveling technicians, you the owner effectively become "the repair person" with hands on the machine. If a cable fails from flexing- that should be warranty. If a user blows a stepper driver while making a mod and slipping with the screwdriver- that is a user caused problem- I could see Raise 3D having a reason to say not covered. Either way, the truth is, you the user are going to have to change the part in many instances. You can already see the wait cycle between when you request something, when a part is shipped, how long it takes to get to you, then trying to install it. For things that are largely commodity items like motors, shaft couplers, fans, and stepper drivers- all easily user replaced parts and sometimes actually lower cost than the shipping of an OEM part once you figure all the total waiting factor and cost in.

So my advice is, complain and complain loudly to Raise 3D. If you don't do this, it does nothing for future buyers of the machine and hopefully forces them to help you with this issue.
At the same time, if you followed information I provided, I will attempt to help you sort it out as best I can.

Return to “Hardware”