what happened to the the Official Raise3d Camera?

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Charles

what happened to the the Official Raise3d Camera?

Postby Charles » Mon May 09, 2016 11:22 pm

I noticed that it is no longer on the Raise 3d website. Has it been discontinued?

I thought I remembered that the camera would eventually be integrated into the ImageMaker software and/or the Raise3D printers in some way. Is that ever going to happen? Or has the idea been abandoned?

As it is right now, what is the purpose of the camera tab under settings on the LCD?

thanks!

Zettlinger

Re: what happened to the the Official Raise3d Camera?

Postby Zettlinger » Mon May 09, 2016 11:48 pm

No clue on the integration but a good question.

Personally i hope they integrate a generic function so one can use any rtsp or onvif camera to add it in (just streaming the cameras own feed)

firesped

Postby firesped » Tue May 10, 2016 12:23 am

RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Derek@Raise3D
Site Admin

Postby Derek@Raise3D » Tue May 10, 2016 1:26 am

Charles wrote:I noticed that it is no longer on the Raise 3d website. Has it been discontinued?

I thought I remembered that the camera would eventually be integrated into the ImageMaker software and/or the Raise3D printers in some way. Is that ever going to happen? Or has the idea been abandoned?

As it is right now, what is the purpose of the camera tab under settings on the LCD?

thanks!

Zettlinger wrote:No clue on the integration but a good question.

Personally i hope they integrate a generic function so one can use any rtsp or onvif camera to add it in (just streaming the cameras own feed)

The board has integrated with standard UVC driver. You can attach an UVC usb camera into the touchscreen. Also mstreamer and octoprint has already been ported to the board. But mstreamer has severe memory leaking problem and octoprint is taking a lot of memory. So we didn't start these process by default.
If you want to have a play of them, you can find them under /opt directory.
Maybe using some low resolution camera will help improving the performance. But that don't fit our standard, so that's why the camera option is left at blank.
=================
Derek@Raise3D.com
I'm a lazy engineer. So I want everything automated.

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Tue May 10, 2016 1:44 am

I didnt go for the camera Raise3D offered, in stead i bought a 2MP HD wifi/lan camera with pan/tilt for about the same price (50-55$)

I directed part of my domain to the camera and streaming to my customers :)

GoffyOne

Postby GoffyOne » Tue May 10, 2016 10:35 am

octoprint, that sounds nice how does one runt that and can I then acces the printer from a browser to se print status?

firesped

Postby firesped » Tue May 10, 2016 2:31 pm

so we can make our own camera? I noticed there was an extra stepper driver slot on the motion controller board.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Derek@Raise3D
Site Admin

Postby Derek@Raise3D » Wed May 11, 2016 2:24 am

firesped wrote:so we can make our own camera? I noticed there was an extra stepper driver slot on the motion controller board.

You need attach the camera to the touchscreen, but not the motion board.
=================
Derek@Raise3D.com

Derek@Raise3D
Site Admin

Postby Derek@Raise3D » Wed May 11, 2016 2:24 am

GoffyOne wrote:octoprint, that sounds nice how does one runt that and can I then acces the printer from a browser to se print status?

Yep, but you need to kill the original touchscreen process.
=================
Derek@Raise3D.com

drmrdude

Postby drmrdude » Thu May 19, 2016 3:41 am

The board has integrated with standard UVC driver. You can attach an UVC usb camera into the touchscreen. Also mstreamer and octoprint has already been ported to the board. But mstreamer has severe memory leaking problem and octoprint is taking a lot of memory. So we didn't start these process by default.
If you want to have a play of them, you can find them under /opt directory.
Maybe using some low resolution camera will help improving the performance. But that don't fit our standard, so that's why the camera option is left at blank.

If I plug in a compatible camera, will it just work or do I need to do something to enable it?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu May 19, 2016 9:22 am

drmrdude wrote:
If I plug in a compatible camera, will it just work or do I need to do something to enable it?

Most camera will provide a software which can operate it via your phone or computer. You can contact your camera supplier for more detail.

emili90110@Gmail.com

Postby emili90110@Gmail.com » Fri May 20, 2016 12:39 am

for a whole month now I have not been able to stream the camera to the raise app once I leave my house and wifi is disconnected. they emailed me saying new app was coming out same day and more than a week later nothing :( is there another way to use this camera I need it)

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Fri May 20, 2016 12:46 am

You could use a program to take over a pc running ideamaker and the camera software (Teamviewer or something similar)

another option (if the camera uses rtsp or onvif) is to buy a Networked video recorder (for under 50$ and a hdd to put in it you can buy them on aliexpress) for that matter if it supports those standards you should be able to use 3rd party software to catch the streams too (in both cases you probably have to port forward your modem/router to the camera)

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri May 20, 2016 2:04 am

from what has been explained by Raise3d, the official camera does not support rtsp and is not an onvif standard camera. It can only steam to an ios or android device.

Zettlinger wrote:You could use a program to take over a pc running ideamaker and the camera software (Teamviewer or something similar)

another option (if the camera uses rtsp or onvif) is to buy a Networked video recorder (for under 50$ and a hdd to put in it you can buy them on aliexpress) for that matter if it supports those standards you should be able to use 3rd party software to catch the streams too (in both cases you probably have to port forward your modem/router to the camera)

michaelhauser

Postby michaelhauser » Fri May 20, 2016 6:30 am

Charles wrote:from what has been explained by Raise3d, the official camera does not support rtsp and is not an onvif standard camera. It can only steam to an ios or android device.

Zettlinger wrote:You could use a program to take over a pc running ideamaker and the camera software (Teamviewer or something similar)

That is incorrect. The camera does stream rtsp. I explained it in a post to the old discussion board: https://www.raise3d.com/pages/community#!/?rtsp

michaelhauser

Postby michaelhauser » Fri May 20, 2016 6:39 am

I'll repost here just in case the old board goes away.

The Raise3D camera has several problems, and I am disappointed in it.
It is difficult to set up. I still haven't gotten mine synced with my iPhone. I think the problem is that my main wireless router is on the edge of the camera's wifi range and my closer wireless router (range extender) has a space in the broadcast network name. Despite this, I'm able to access the camera's RTSP stream from my Mac (as described below), so I've tested the camera, which brings up the second problem.

This camera is fixed focus and the minimum focus on mine came set at a couple of feet or so, which is too much for this application. However, I found that I could manually change the focus by using some combination pliers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pliers#/m ... pliers.jpg) to turn the ring around the lens. It seems like it might have come with some light thread locker on the ring because after turning, it gets much looser. Anyway, I didn't mark the original position (doh!), but I ended up somewhere around 1/8-1/4 turn CCW with a reasonably in-focus range of around several inches to two feet or so, which seems about right for placing the camera inside or just above the printer facing the top center of the build area. I assume the camera has an auto-iris and the depth of field improves with more light, but I haven't tested that yet. Maybe there is a way to manually adjust the iris from the app–I won't know that until I get it synced. Another issue is that, ideally, a camera for this application should be wider angle in order to view the whole build area at a close range. I may try adding a cheap phone wide angle adapter lens to see if that could work, or maybe it's not worth the trouble.

When I added the camera to my order, I assumed that there were plans to integrate it with the printer (pcduino), but I've seen no evidence of that from posts here. Given that this camera isn't really optimized for this application, has no integration with the printer, and is available on ebay for under $20, the $49 price from Raise3D is not exactly a bargain.

Regarding LAN streaming, yes, this camera streams on the LAN via RTSP, as described at http://learn.linksprite.com/jpeg-camera ... ip-camera/

You can record the stream using VLC or another video stream recorder

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri May 20, 2016 6:53 am

oh wow! Michael, thank you so much! I had pretty much given up on the camera being useful from a PC. now to go try this! thanks again! Don't know how i missed it.

Just tried it, works great inside vlcplayer. The camera is finally useful again. I'll try to refocus as you suggested as well.

michaelhauser wrote:
Charles wrote:from what has been explained by Raise3d, the official camera does not support rtsp and is not an onvif standard camera. It can only steam to an ios or android device.

That is incorrect. The camera does stream rtsp. I explained it in a post to the old discussion board: https://www.raise3d.com/pages/community#!/?rtsp

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Fri May 20, 2016 10:36 am

Glad to hear you have it functional :)

Btw recording has a lot of advantages in going back and checking what happened when stuff went wrong :)
(Plus my customers love being able to see their product 'grow' )

michaelhauser

Postby michaelhauser » Fri May 20, 2016 4:53 pm

I got a wide angle lens for my Mobius Actioncam and I'm playing with that. It's very small and easily fits inside the printer. However, the instructions recommend keeping temperatures to 47ºC or below, so it's probably not a good choice for printing high-temp materials with the printer fully closed. Also, it requires a USB connection to stream to the computer.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:06 pm

I was using OctoPrint with my Wanhao, mostly for time lapse videos. I plugged my Logitech C270 webcam into the computer, and it takes video, but not timelapse.
Not sure if I want to kill the touch screen for OctoPrint, since the touch screen is useful and pleasant.

Did anything ever happen with the Camera? the Touch screen has an option for "camera" when I play with my N1, but plugging in a USB camera didnt actually do anything.

Return to “Hardware”