Buildtak problems - nothing sticks to it

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
frjez

Buildtak problems - nothing sticks to it

Postby frjez » Sat May 06, 2017 3:44 pm

From the moment I got n2+ noting got sticking on my Buildtak. I was reading posts about how difficult is to detach printed parts from it... but in my experience it's oposit. So I tried all the usual tricks available on the internet; changing offset from the bed, preheating the bed (different temperatures), different materilas (PLA, ASA, PC-PolyMax, PETG, PETG with carbon, ABS,...), cleaning with alcohol, etc...
NOTHING!!!!

Sure I try with a glue-stick, that sometimes works, but on a bare Builtak, nothing stays.
So, my question are ...
Is my Buildtak somehow defective?
Should I replace it?
And if yes HOW?
Are there any proven/tested/used alternatives that are better?

THX in advance for help & suggestions!

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Buildtak problems - nothing sticks to it

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat May 06, 2017 5:07 pm

First is to make sure the nozzle is close enough to the build plate. (Don't be too close, or the first layer can be hardly extruded out.)
Second, make sure the build surface is clean enough. Use wet cloth or alcohol to clean the surface to remove the dust or oil which may affect the adhesion. Then heating the bed to dry the water.
Third, different temperature.

If all do no help with your problem, please consider shoot a ticket for us. At least PLA can work with it properly, other filament depends, PC should be ok too. Especially on a new piece.

frjez

Postby frjez » Sat May 06, 2017 7:29 pm

@Vicky
I was probably not clear enough. So here we go... N O T H I N G work!
I really try every single sugestion... temp Up, temp down. Z height from almost nothing up to 0,2. Extrusion flow rate from 90 to 150%.
Different material too. :(

ABH

Postby ABH » Sun May 07, 2017 9:23 am

Take a look at this:
http://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1543&p=13167#p13149
If the Buildtak "dies" it's probably because you used filament materials not suited for Buildtak. If this happens it is not sufficient to clean it using alcohol.

frjez

Postby frjez » Sun May 07, 2017 5:20 pm

@ABH, Thank you! I read the other topic from your link... interesting.

@Billucas Thank you too. I just bought LokBuild -5 min ago :-). I'm looking forward to test it with ABS, ASA and PETG.

- I got PEI, but... PETG doesn't stick to it. Apparently this is a known issue. Also no luck with PLA (temperature too low... I figured it out later). PC is also problematic.
PEI has to be hot to be usable - so a lot of wasted energy :-(
- EZ Stick: They have a bold claim... 100% guarantee but still in the Kickstarting phase
- PrintZ: That was the other option I was about to buy... a bit expensive though. Love the bending and pop-up thing
- Fleks3d (not for ABS according to their website). I love the "bending & pop-up" feature
- NewRiver: this is a build plate you have to apply a buildtak or whatever on top. Anyways... thi is made from some epoxy+fibreglass at higher temperature epoxy becomes a bit sticky and with high temperature epoxy the TG can be easily 120degC. Some vendors offer a carbonfibre built plate but I'm not sure about heating termoset plastic to many time.

But still mixed feelings. Every vendor claims hundreds of happy users, yet we know for sure that BuildTak isn't that good after all.
So what I'm looking for is a better BuildTak. For first I'll try LokBuild on aluminum plate - not glass. I'm also very itchy on PrintZ.
I love the fact that you bend a plate a bit and the part pops up without any scraping tool.

I would really love to hear someone that uses PrintZ build-plate/sheet!!

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon May 08, 2017 6:19 am

If the buildtak doesn't have any adhesion from the very beginning when you start using this machine, you can shoot a ticket to make contact with us.

Billucas

Postby Billucas » Mon May 08, 2017 12:11 pm

frjez wrote:
@Billucas Thank you too. I just bought LokBuild -5 min ago :-). I'm looking forward to test it with ABS, ASA and PETG.
I would really love to hear someone that uses PrintZ build-plate/sheet!!

You are welcome!

For my part, the Buildtak worked on certain occasions. But it is not my favorite. For PETG you can try Buildtak + stick glue, it worked for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc91WMT ... ubs_digest

PEI glued with 3M spray on a 1/8" aluminium plate works fantastic for me with PETG.
You have to get the exact nozzle height to stick onto it.

Until now, the Lokbuild on a 1/8" aluminium plate is the best product I have tested. I have printed large footprint of ABS parts.
It is important to make sure your heated bed plate is really well levelled. Also don't put the heated nozzle
too close of the Lockbuild, because the surface is fragile, you will damage it. My last suggestion, don't clean
it with Isopropyl Alcool of more than 30%, it will lost it's sticky. I have made many prints with it and I only wipe it
with a microfiber cloth. Nothing much, for now.

I bought and received last week Print in Z, zebra plate + skin. I also received the GeckoTek HT build Plate.
I pledge on Kickstarter for the EZ stick, but we will receive them the next Fall...
But I did not have time to try them yet. I will let you know when I will try them!
I bought all these to get the good adhesion bed. Tired of getting bad prints.
Last edited by Billucas on Mon May 08, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon May 08, 2017 1:29 pm

someplace on the forum is a carbon fiber plate - it is great but I use hairspray on it. It is flexy and not brittle, I prefer it.

frjez

Postby frjez » Thu May 25, 2017 8:25 pm

Actually could be a "simple" fiberglass plate no need for carbon. The key point here is epoxy resin. When heated becomes quite sticky.

frjez

Postby frjez » Thu May 25, 2017 8:49 pm

So I bought a LokBuild an orange plastic sheet... and for me was an Epiphany.
So far, using a BuildTak I've got troubles every single time I try to use it. Actually, as I already said, nothing sticks to the surface. If somehow the part sticked to the BT was because I applied a large amount of glue-stick.
But with LokBuild on a first try...well perfect!! I used PETG with bed on 70deg. So far every single print I do is a success. I know that this might sound an overreaction but I almost cried. Now, I enjoy 3D printing again, before with a BuiltTak-Shit was a pain ever single time.

Fellow 3D-P users, I would recomend you to try this "locking device". It's thicker that BT and cheaper too. And for me it works every time.

And try to believe me, I'm not an easy 5-star giver to any product!!

frjez

Postby frjez » Thu May 25, 2017 8:59 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:If the buildtak doesn't have any adhesion from the very beginning when you start using this machine, you can shoot a ticket to make contact with us.

No need Vicky! I don't think that I will ever use the BuldTak again. Even if you would send me a brand new one I would probably use it as a mouse pad. But yes, I do take in consideration that something was wrong with this particular piece from the begining. But I don't have time nor energy to battle your "ticketing experts" telling me what to do for the hundredth time.

Thanks, anyway! I'm using LokBuild, PEI and Epoxy plate

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri May 26, 2017 3:21 am

Would you like to compare the difference between the three surface you are using?
It may be valuable for others who are considering about these.

Brandon

Postby Brandon » Fri May 26, 2017 1:49 pm

I have used PrintZ on other printers with ABS and PLA. I found it to work quite well. I also called them on occasion with questions and they were responsive and helpful.

Billucas

Postby Billucas » Fri May 26, 2017 4:32 pm

frjez wrote:So I bought a LokBuild an orange plastic sheet... and for me was an Epiphany.
So far, using a BuildTak I've got troubles every single time I try to use it. Actually, as I already said, nothing sticks to the surface. If somehow the part sticked to the BT was because I applied a large amount of glue-stick.
But with LokBuild on a first try...well perfect!! I used PETG with bed on 70deg. So far every single print I do is a success. I know that this might sound an overreaction but I almost cried. Now, I enjoy 3D printing again, before with a BuiltTak-Shit was a pain ever single time.

Fellow 3D-P users, I would recomend you to try this "locking device". It's thicker that BT and cheaper too. And for me it works every time.

And try to believe me, I'm not an easy 5-star giver to any product!!

I understand very well what you are saying!

Vicky, Raise3D must seriously consider to offer and deliver the 3d printers with a LokBuild instead of BuildTak.
I got better performance with this, up to now.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:45 pm

If LokBuild is orangey and transparent, it sounds like maybe it's actually re-branded PEI.
BTW, I've had excellent results with PC on PEI/Ultem, even with top-heavy parts with small bottom area.
I have no experience with LokBuild, but I'm Very Happy with PEI. My ABS and PC prints now stick perfectly every time.

Julia Truchsess

Postby Julia Truchsess » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:14 pm

I'm also very happy with PEI. 60ºC for PLA and 80ºC for PETG, no problems.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:22 pm

And setting 105C seems to work well with ABS (measured temp around 85C)

Return to “Hardware”