Bondtech BMG upgrade for the N series

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
firesped

Re: Bondtech BMG upgrade for the N series

Postby firesped » Wed May 31, 2017 6:48 pm

and now on to the post I was going to make. I got the Kickstarter version of the upgrade and I am putting in my own cables. While I have the plastic parts to make new ends for this. It did not come with the JST pins and the ones I have for XHP do not fit in the PHR socket. I have the adapter cables that came with the BGM. I am looking to splice them into my cables. they have black, green, blue and red wires. What is the A1, A2, B1, B2 values for each of these wires?
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed May 31, 2017 6:53 pm

Again, what matters is the formula specific to the driver.
Current Limit = VREF x 2
Target is roughly 0.625A or less
0.625/2= 0.3125V vref.
Now, the problem there is, a voltage that low is really, really, really, tough to get right. Getting it wrong, even slightly wrong is multiplied by a factor of 2. Again, just the difference between 0.31v and 0.35 volts, might be enough to cause the motor to heat more or not have as much torque (high or low).

Me, I would not use the SD6128 drivers for this motor. Not saying anything bad about the driver, but total overkill for a 0.7A rated motor as an extruder. Put the perfectly capable A4988 back in.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed May 31, 2017 7:09 pm

Just in that order, Left to right is correct. So black=A, Green =A_ , Red=B, Blue= B_

http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/downlo ... -0704S.pdf

Also, old standby color code chart.
Wiring_4_lead_Wires.png

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed May 31, 2017 7:11 pm

What matters is pairs. Red and blue are a pair, green and black are a pair. Reversing the order of a pair switches rotation of the motor.

firesped

Postby firesped » Wed May 31, 2017 8:25 pm

the biggest issue I am having right now is that the thermocouples for the kickstarter variant of the machine do not have a long enough cable to reach for install of the extruder board.

not worried about getting the vref correct. I've modded one of my probes for my multimeter to set these.
printers:

firesped

Postby firesped » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:09 am

I know our system is backwards from the SD6128. so normally is A1 red? A2 blue? B1 green? B2 black?
printers:

firesped

Postby firesped » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:42 am

I don't think i did this intentionally, more like by luck. my security wire has black, green, white and red wires. I have black as A1, green as A2. red as B1 and white as B2.

making notes here for my wiring. making sure I have it correct and for reference.

the raise board has the pin out for the cable labelled as 1B 1A 2A 2B, following the traces back to the pins with the SD6128 stepper driver installed,
1B(rumba) = 2A (SD6128) (green wire)
1A(rumba) = 2B (SD6128) (white wire)
2A(rumba) = 1B(SD6128) (red wire)
2B(rumba) = 1A((SD6128) (black wire)

on a side note, I think this may be why I've had so much heat problems. I've been over driving my steppers this entire time.
printers:

firesped

Postby firesped » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:09 am

I've got my steppers set to

X = .502
Y = .502
Z = .504
E0 = .312
E2 = .314

and in case you are wondering how I pulled this off so easily. I made this the last time I was playing with the vref on the steppers a year ago.

IMG_0835.png

I bought a second set of probes and used various tools to turn the red lead into a point I could use to adjust the vref pot, so I can see what it is doing as I adjust it.
printers:

woofy

Postby woofy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:01 am

Modifying a probe to also adjust the pot - that's a good idea. I've just set stock drivers to the recommended 0.5v the hard way, small adjustments and recheck. It's slow but I'll likely not be doing it much.
Raise3D N2+, Ultimaker2 & UP plus printers.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:08 am

I use an alligator clip lead between the meter lead and my screwdriver. Same function, the idea is the tool you are using to adjust is electrically connected to the meter, making the whole thing easier. I also carefully use the header pins labeled for 12V on the mainboard, specially using the negative or ground pin, a short lead to my negative meter lead, making it much, much easier for a steady and reliable measurement.

Brad

Postby Brad » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:10 am

Ok, I have installed the first motor as a test before I buy the rest I need. The material is going in the right way without changing the wires around.
Adjusted the voltage to 0.505v close as i could get it.
the only thing that I dont know how to fix is with the change in the gears it takes forever to feed.
I have made a new printer in idea maker with the 415 steps /mm in it. Is there a way around this or just loosen up the spring and push it down as far as it will and just wait for it and the print will take care of the rest.
In other words, can i change the step value directly on the printer somewhere, I had a look and could not see it.

thanks for any answers.

Cheers,
Brad

lami3d

Postby lami3d » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:26 am

you have to change it in the firmware if you want to load with the good steps/mm

socke

Postby socke » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:31 am

lami3d wrote:you have to change it in the firmware if you want to load with the good steps/mm

Not necessarily, Jetguy posted another way here: http://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1709&start=20#p14415

Brad

Postby Brad » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:10 am

Thanks Socke,
While waiting, what I did to insert the roll was to loosen the spring screw on the side and push it to the bottom, job done.
Print was off doing its own thing quickly.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:01 pm

Again, just understand, once you print one time with the new setting, unless you turn the printer off, that new steps per mm is in memory on the controller. That is why I suggested and posted a simple "work around" so that rather than having to print some actual print file, you could use my short and simple file that doesn't actually print anything, and just homes so you know it's "doing something" sets the steps per mm. This way, load and unload works easily without needing to change firmware. It's not perfect, but again, a step to make it at least a little bit better.

lami3d

Postby lami3d » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:50 pm

Tx Socke and Jetguy, i didn't see it

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:43 pm

Just an update on Vref and thermal testing, I used some instrumentation today on a 3+ hour print.

I sent Martin this exact info:
Just an update, I'm running mine on a 3 hour print job with the top cover off, validated with 2 meters the exact 0.5V Vref and the motor temp (touching the black steel laminations around the coils using a thermocouple is rising to 43C.
This is with the cover off and my ambient temp inside the house is air conditioned to 73F or 22.78C
Again, based on what I see, that's a reasonable 20C rise above ambient.
IMG_0648.JPG

Bondtech

Postby Bondtech » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:20 am

Our reseller in Germany OKM just released a video of their installation if anybody is interested, the video is in German language.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csj_0WxLKzs

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:57 am

That's a pretty good video. I understand German, and it was excellent in all the details.

socke

Postby socke » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:59 pm

Very interesting. I did not notice, that there is an official reseller of Raise3D in Germany. Did I miss something?

Return to “Hardware”