Bondtech BMG upgrade for the N series

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Titon

Re: Bondtech BMG upgrade for the N series

Postby Titon » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:36 pm

I had to figure that out on my own as to being DC volts. If you contact Bondtech tech support they are super fast and highly helpful. Since i installed mine it's been working flawless and not have had one single jam up. I would imagin zemlin is right and the voltage is set to high.

Billucas

Postby Billucas » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:17 am

Ok, good explanations guys. Thank you very much. Yes, my doubts were that I should borrow or buy another digital multimeter. I will do it.
Did you have clogging with the Bondtech extruders, and is it easy for you to unclogged it? Are you happy with your new extruders?
Also, I rarely print without the Top cover, because I mostly print ABS or so, and I don't want to hear the noise of the fans.
Yesterday night and today I have printed. It went well. I will give me a chance!

Titon

Postby Titon » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:41 pm

Billucas wrote:Ok, good explanations guys. Thank you very much. Yes, my doubts were that I should borrow or buy another digital multimeter. I will do it.
Did you have clogging with the Bondtech extruders, and is it easy for you to unclogged it? Are you happy with your new extruders?
Also, I rarely print without the Top cover, because I mostly print ABS or so, and I don't want to hear the noise of the fans.
Yesterday night and today I have printed. It went well. I will give me a chance!

I have not had a single clog with the Bondtech extruder. I have only printed PLA so far and have removed the top as well since it tends to hold in to much heat and warp the PLA prints. I also devised an overhead spool holder that took care of the extreme angle created by the N2's included spool system. With the Bondtech and the overhead spool holder i have gotten significant quality increase. Also flipped the print glass over and started using the glass side instead of the buildtak. Raise says these units are shipped with the bed leveled and i found out that is not the case. I got used to printing a raft all the time and wanted the bottom of some of my prints to be smoother. Getting the bed leveled is a must and once you dial that in using a raft should not be necessary.

Here's the shot of the overhead spool holder with the installed Bondtech.
Attachments
spool.jpg

Billucas

Postby Billucas » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:34 pm

Ok, I lowered the voltage of the stepper motor of the Bondtech extruders. They are at 40-48°C approximately now.
I did not have clogging issue since the last one. So far so good!

Will it be possible to print ABS with the Top cover on, for a 50 hours printing, for example?

Luc

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:06 am

I never remove the top cover unless printing PLA. I haven't done 50 hours with ABS, but I've done some 30 hour prints without issue. 40+ hours on PETG.

Billucas

Postby Billucas » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:19 pm

zemlin wrote:I never remove the top cover unless printing PLA. I haven't done 50 hours with ABS, but I've done some 30 hour prints without issue. 40+ hours on PETG.

Ok good. I wonder what is the temperature of your stepper motors from the extruders?
Of course, during your long prints and with the top cover.

Luc

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:34 pm

I haven't checked the extruder motors. My X & Y motors run about 87C. I have installed heat sinks on X, Y, and Extruder motors.

easysofts

Postby easysofts » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:05 am

Titon wrote:Here's the shot of the overhead spool holder with the installed Bondtech.

I love your spool holder, Have you more details of your spool system ? :)
Machines Brand : Raise3D / Wanhao / BCN3D

Titon

Postby Titon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:47 pm

easysofts wrote:
Titon wrote:Here's the shot of the overhead spool holder with the installed Bondtech.

I love your spool holder, Have you more details of your spool system ? :)

Do a search here for "spool holder" and you will find this posted by another poster here on the raise sit...

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductDe ... ode=56-250

It is a simple adjustable wire spool holder. I measured the size of the tube and designed a round tube to go around it so the spool spins around much cleaner. I printed the pieces that go around it and simply glued them together to go the entire length of the holder. Since upgrading to the bondtech extruder and going to this overhead setup it has made a huge difference in the feed system. It's nice not having the filament draging across the printer.

easysofts

Postby easysofts » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:14 pm

Titon wrote:Do a search here for "spool holder" and you will find this posted by another poster here on the raise sit...
http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductDe ... ode=56-250

Thank you, and sorry I had searched posts with your name. Searching with "spool holder" term isn't stupid oops ! I need to sleep :oops:

Shipping cost are $100 for me, I need to find alternative seller :(
Last edited by easysofts on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Machines Brand : Raise3D / Wanhao / BCN3D

Titon

Postby Titon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:43 pm

Billucas

Postby Billucas » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Yesterday, my friend came to my house yesterday with his Multimeter. We lowered the voltage of the stepper motor of the Bondtech extruders at 0.5V. So, everything is set now! I did not have clogging issue. I tried with ABS, with the Top cover on, for a 20 hours print. No problem. Just to let you know, it is working.

Luc

Titon

Postby Titon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:28 pm

Billucas wrote:Yesterday, my friend came to my house yesterday with his Multimeter. We lowered the voltage of the stepper motor of the Bondtech extruders at 0.5V. So, everything is set now! I did not have clogging issue. I tried with ABS, with the Top cover on, for a 20 hours print. No problem. Just to let you know, it is working.

Luc

Good to hear!

Return to “Hardware”