Screen won't turn off or work

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Helipilot

Screen won't turn off or work

Postby Helipilot » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:16 am

Just finished printing and the screen show the completed screen and it doesn't work. I tried hitting done and nothing happens. I tried turning it off and screen stays on. Nothing. It's a N2 dual model.
What do I do. Crazy.
Raise 3D N2 Dual purchased Aug 9th 2016

Jetguy

Re: Screen won't turn off or work

Postby Jetguy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:27 am

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:09 am

If your machine has a reset button at the back of screen box, try it.
If there is no reset button on your machine, please unplug the battery from the screen board.

Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:08 pm

Ok. Did that and screen works but I have a new error. It's says:"serial error no such file or directory"
What's this message ?

Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:42 pm

This happens when shutting down. It pops up quickly and continues to shut down.
Printer works but I get this error.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:06 pm

Have you updated to the latest LCD update?

This is a combination of you not knowing the system, and potentially not having or using the latest updates.

The error message is the 2 board system. When you turn off power, the motion control board is NOT battery backed so it turns off instantly. When that happens, the USB to serial connection between the 2 boards drops off. The pcDUINO LCD from panel is a battery backed Linux computer and so yes, absolutely internally when the motion board powers down, the USB serial port is going to go away. Remember in Linux, EVERYTHING is a file. Every port, connection and logical object is a file, hence, "no such file or directory". The serial part of that message is again the communications is serial between the 2 boards. The idea is that the pcDuino is looking for a complex state change. It has to see the 24V input drop AND the serial connection drop at the same time for it to be a power shutdown event. Otherwise, if only the serial dropped or dropped out- that happens when the motion board has a failure but the main power source is NOT turned and thus not a power shutdown event. This complex state detection had some faults in certain versions of the LCD firmware package and was resolved in the latest firmware package. You need to periodically check (because it will not automagically update) https://www.raise3d.com/pages/download for the latest updates.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:08 pm

Also see this post for the same info viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1652#p13896

Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:57 am

Jetguy wrote:Have you updated to the latest LCD update?

This is a combination of you not knowing the system, and potentially not having or using the latest updates.

The error message is the 2 board system. When you turn off power, the motion control board is NOT battery backed so it turns off instantly. When that happens, the USB to serial connection between the 2 boards drops off. The pcDUINO LCD from panel is a battery backed Linux computer and so yes, absolutely internally when the motion board powers down, the USB serial port is going to go away. Remember in Linux, EVERYTHING is a file. Every port, connection and logical object is a file, hence, "no such file or directory". The serial part of that message is again the communications is serial between the 2 boards. The idea is that the pcDuino is looking for a complex state change. It has to see the 24V input drop AND the serial connection drop at the same time for it to be a power shutdown event. Otherwise, if only the serial dropped or dropped out- that happens when the motion board has a failure but the main power source is NOT turned and thus not a power shutdown event. This complex state detection had some faults in certain versions of the LCD firmware package and was resolved in the latest firmware package. You need to periodically check (because it will not automagically update) https://www.raise3d.com/pages/download for the latest updates.

I've never had good luck upgrading firmware with anything I own. Would It be an issue if I don't upgrade and let it be? I don't want to brick it.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:03 am

Yes, you need to update.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:05 am

The raisepack AKA LCD updates are hard to brick. You simply download the file, put it on USB, plug into the printer BEFORE you turn it on, it sees the update file and applies it and reboots.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:48 am

Upgrading touchscreen firmware won't do any harm to your machine. It will only be successful or failed. Even failed, it will only keep the previous firmware, but won't brick.
We normally release new version once a month, will fix some bugs or add more new functions.

Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:24 pm

Jetguy wrote:The raisepack AKA LCD updates are hard to brick. You simply download the file, put it on USB, plug into the printer BEFORE you turn it on, it sees the update file and applies it and reboots.

So just to be certain. The lastest update I need to do is the LCD update and that's it ?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:33 pm

Correct, because the motion controller firmware is still V1.1.1
The LCD is what is giving you the error message and it's because that version is not handling the error state correctly. That's why periodic updates come out.

Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:59 pm

Jetguy wrote:Correct, because the motion controller firmware is still V1.1.1
The LCD is what is giving you the error message and it's because that version is not handling the error state correctly. That's why periodic updates come out.

Gotcha. Thanks !

Noren

Postby Noren » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:16 pm

Also check that your backup battery is fully charged. Or you can get weird problems like this.

Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Mon May 01, 2017 6:25 pm

I updated the LCD Firmware.
I know from being into RC Hobbies, those LIPO Batteries are easy to find and replace...even with a larger MAH one.

Return to “Hardware”