auto z screw leveling

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
firesped

auto z screw leveling

Postby firesped » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:55 am

I'm not sure if this will work, but an idea just popped in my head.

use a micro stepper motor to build a z screw replacement that can be attached to the empty stepper driver slot on the motion controller board.

install a pressure sensor for the hotend nozzle to hit during the bed auto leveling function.

pressure sensor would be configured to be at the same height as the print bed.
pressure sensor would not be installed in the 0,0 homing location.

bed auto leveling function would move the extruder to the location of pressure sensor. z screw will extend out. then it will slowly retract until the the pressure sensor is engaged. z screw will then retract set distance.

for the pressure sensor, we could use the same endstops all other locations are using and it could be plugged into the Z max endstop location.
the motor for this MUST be engaged during Z homing and printing. we don't want it to move.

I'm seeing on ebay, DC mini stepper motors with linear screw sliders that would be perfect for this idea. they seem to be 3v to 5v. some are 6v
RL name: Michael Nolen

socke

Re: auto z screw leveling

Postby socke » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:10 pm

I also thought about this issue, some time ago. But it doesn't bring any advantage if we measure some distance to the hotend, imo. Instead we need to measure the distance to the tip of the nozzle. Maybe by some electrical contact, attached to the bed. I'm sure, the challenge would be to make this reliable...

firesped

Re: auto z screw leveling

Postby firesped » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:10 pm

what i meant by hotend was the tip of the nozzle. including the nozzle as part of the hotend.
RL name: Michael Nolen

Return to “Hardware”