Properly removing second hot-end and all related parts?

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
SteveWallin

Properly removing second hot-end and all related parts?

Postby SteveWallin » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:15 pm

The lack of good downward cooling options for N2 dual models has got me thinking about ditching the dual extrusion option entirely to make room for a good downward cooling option. There are very few options for additional downward cooling, and the ones that I have seen are clunky and only address one extruder. Working around the N2 design and space restrictions for adding on to the front, back and sides of the head carrier make an elegant solution for the addition good quality downward cooling for a dual extruder N2 pretty much impossible, so I understand the lack of good options. I'd rather have the option of one hotend doing a great job than two that are so-so.

So, If I want to remove the second hotend and everything associated with it, what is the basic order of operation? I assume first thing would to be to switch to single extruder firmware and then strip all the parts for the second extruder? I want to make sure I do this properly and am left with a clean uninstall. Any tips, tricks, warnings or advice?

It's too bad that more effort wasn't put into the design to allow for good part cooling for both extruders.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Properly removing second hot-end and all related parts?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:51 am

We don't have single version firmware. Both the single and dual printers are using the same firmware. Only the UI is different. You can edit nozzle number from 2 to be 1, then you can get single nozzle's interface.
For the wirings, please keep the thermocouple of your left nozzle. Because the firmware is still reading the second nozzle's temperature, if removing the thermocouple, it will get a abnormal value to boards and jump out an error. You can insert the prob into the towing chain.

SteveWallin

Postby SteveWallin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:14 pm

Thanks Vicki.

SteveWallin

Postby SteveWallin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:44 pm

Vicki,

Also wondering, what is the maximum draw we can safely put on the gcode controllable fan output?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:36 am

Do you mean use ideaMaker or touchscreen to set the fan speed?
Those are percentage values, from 0%-100%.
If you want to edit the gcode, the max should be 255.

SteveWallin

Postby SteveWallin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:25 pm

No, I mean the electrical load on that connection.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:40 am

12v 200MA

Return to “Hardware”