Shorted heating cartridge & maybe board

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Shorted heating cartridge & maybe board

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:13 am

You are welcome!
And hope you machine will back to functional very soon.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:17 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:You are welcome!
And hope you machine will back to functional very soon.

Thanks. I didnt hear anything today, but hopefully they'll get the parts for the N1 soon.
N2 seems to be working nicely. I've got a 20+ hour print going to start later today.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:55 am

firesped wrote:the heater plate has not changed, I believe even my EB N2 has holes for all 13 screws. but the carriage plate is likely different in later models. allowing for the additional screws to be used.

here is the issue though. the metal plate is going to warp when you heat it, nothing can change that. that is why they have 13 screws in there. to try and keep it in place. part of the issue is clipping the glass plate to the heater plate. you can damage the printer playing with those clips. and replacing all the electronics is not cheap.

BTW, I'm the guy from the FB group talking about removing the 2nd hotend and reading there was a need for firmware changes :)

This was the thread I was mentioning where my N1 isnt working due to some issue related to perhaps the motion controller board (at least, that's what I suspect after changing out both thermocouples, both heating blocks, and the extrusion board and still getting the errors) Or, the ribbion from the extruder board to the motion control board is bad. I've a few more tests to do this weekend to help Brandon at R3D isolate the issue,

davide_akka

Postby davide_akka » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:30 pm

NewbPilot wrote:
firesped wrote:the heater plate has not changed, I believe even my EB N2 has holes for all 13 screws. but the carriage plate is likely different in later models. allowing for the additional screws to be used.

here is the issue though. the metal plate is going to warp when you heat it, nothing can change that. that is why they have 13 screws in there. to try and keep it in place. part of the issue is clipping the glass plate to the heater plate. you can damage the printer playing with those clips. and replacing all the electronics is not cheap.

BTW, I'm the guy from the FB group talking about removing the 2nd hotend and reading there was a need for firmware changes :)

This was the thread I was mentioning where my N1 isnt working due to some issue related to perhaps the motion controller board (at least, that's what I suspect after changing out both thermocouples, both heating blocks, and the extrusion board and still getting the errors) Or, the ribbion from the extruder board to the motion control board is bad. I've a few more tests to do this weekend to help Brandon at R3D isolate the issue,

Good morning,
i know that one year it's passed since last reply to this topic, but i am now in the same trouble of you with my N2 dual printer.
When i switch on the printer the temperature of the right extruder raise up by itself at around 240°C even if i don't use it. I have not changed any piece at the moment but i would like to ask you how you finally solved the problem.
Thanks a lot
Davide

firesped

Postby firesped » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:12 am

It was later discovered that it was possible for a thermal runaway to happen on the printer if the ribbon cable becomes disconnected or damaged. raise3d created a new part to detect this issue.

I don't know if he solved his issue.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:14 pm

firesped wrote:It was later discovered that it was possible for a thermal runaway to happen on the printer if the ribbon cable becomes disconnected or damaged. raise3d created a new part to detect this issue.

I don't know if he solved his issue.

Good point. I actually STILL have the issue on my N1 - i just found that with some work, i can still print on it. I actually ended up changing everything, from the motion controller to the ribbon to the heating rods to the thermistor, to, well, everything. Still happens. I just havent bothered to call tech support since it wasnt fixed the first time. They changed out everything - so maybe it's me :)

Return to “Hardware”