Raise3D N2 first setup

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
3d_printer_fan

Raise3D N2 first setup

Postby 3d_printer_fan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Hi @All,

I have just registered to this community, because I want to setup my new Raise3D N2 printer for the first use (print).

My question is, what kind of nozzle does my printer have? V1 or V2? And how can I recognize this?
This seems to be important, reading the instruction manual for ideaMaker... (page 7).

Thanks,
Martin

Rogman

Re: Raise3D N2 first setup

Postby Rogman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:00 pm

do you mean V2 hot end? if so count the number of heatsink fins, you should have 7 for V2 hotend.

3d_printer_fan

Postby 3d_printer_fan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:03 pm

yes V2 hotend. Ah ok let me check...

3d_printer_fan

Postby 3d_printer_fan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:14 pm

So, just checked. I have 7 heatsink fins. That means I have the V2 nozzle, right?

Rogman

Postby Rogman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:25 pm

it sure does. Happy printing :)

3d_printer_fan

Postby 3d_printer_fan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks!

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:13 pm

No matter what, all new printers currently come with the V2 hotend.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:16 pm

Michael.P@Raise3D wrote:No matter what, all new printers currently come with the V2 hotend.

Michael - have there been any changes to the N series since I bought my first one mid-2016? I just ordered the N2 (I am hoping it's coming from CA and not China,and soon :) ) and wonder if it's basically the same as my N1 with the exception of factory leveling and build size and small details like LCD placement. Or, have there been changes been June last year I can anticipate?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:18 am

Upgraded a screen and resuming module version which should be more stable than before.
Added a reset button at the back the screen box of N2 and N2 Plus.
Added a printed feeding tube mounting cover into accessory box.
Molded the N2 screen box and filament spool holder and some printed parts.

Please note, due to parts stocking and version conversion time, some upgrades may not be on your new printer.

Except the LCD position, also the electronic box's position is different on N1 and N2. And N2 has two LED strips.
Bed leveling has been checked in factory. But due to long time shipping, recommend you check the leveling one more time before first use.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:44 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Upgraded a screen and resuming module version which should be more stable than before.

Please note, due to parts stocking and version conversion time, some upgrades may not be on your new printer.

Except the LCD position, also the electronic box's position is different on N1 and N2. And N2 has two LED strips.
Bed leveling has been checked in factory. But due to long time shipping, recommend you check the leveling one more time before first use.

Thanks Vicky. I am definitely going to need to re-level the bed. Searching the forums for topics on it now. I set the Z-screw to allow the bed to be 0.2mm from nozzle. Level around 10,10 is fine, but going to 10,120 and the feeler passes under the nozzle untouched. move to about 150, 120 and it touches again. move to about 250,75 y and its tight. move back from 75y to 250 y and its touching but loose. so there is work to be done fixing the level i guess.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:35 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Upgraded a screen and resuming module version which should be more stable than before.

My bed is definitely not factory level :( Right side is about 0.2 mm higher than left, maybe a little less. if I level z-gap with 0.2mm gauge on left side, middle to right gauge cant go under nozzle. if i level z-gap with 0.2mm gauge in middle or left side, right side doesnt come near the gauge as it goes under nozzle. I can basically use about 1/3 the bed at any one time. I print mostly PETG and TPU, so rafts are out. Is there a video on how to level the bed properly?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:58 pm

You do not have to use a dial indicator, but if you use this method, it makes visualizing and adjusting the bed to be perfect. You could more or less do the same thing using paper or feeler gauges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du8OdPosrMo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9-vg2UllhA

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:06 pm

https://www.raise3d.com/pages/bed-leveling-instruction
1.As shown in the following pictures, move the bed up to close to the nozzle. Use a feeler gauge to check the gap between the bed and the nozzle. We recommend using middle of the bed as reference position. There are total 9 sets of screws so total 9 points to measure. According the measurements, mark down each point should be adjusted higher, lower or kept in position.
l1-2_medium.png
l1-2_medium.png (118.85 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
l1_medium.png
l1_medium.png (107.36 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
l2-1_medium.png
l2-1_medium.png (94.92 KiB) Viewed 1129 times

2.Take adjusting the position to HIGHER as an example. Loose the M3 nut as shown. Turn it COUNTER-CLOCKWISE about 2 rounds. If the screw is turning with the nut, then remove the glass plate and use a 2.0mm hex wrench to hold the screw and then loose the nut. After loosing then nut, put the glass plate back.
l1-3_medium.png
l1-3_medium.png (94.64 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
l2-2_medium.png
l2-2_medium.png (95.99 KiB) Viewed 1129 times

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:08 pm

Continued....
l2-3_medium.png
l2-3_medium.png (102.2 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
l3-2_medium.png
l3-2_medium.png (100.03 KiB) Viewed 1128 times

3.Use a 2.5mm hex wrench, turn the nylon tip screw CLOCKWISE to raise the heat bed. Use a feeler gauge between the nozzle and the plate to check the gap in between. After the bed rises to desired height, lock the screw in the middle by tightening the M3 nut. After the middle screw is tighten, then turn the nylon tip screw to normal tightness about 20Kgf.cm.
l3-1_medium.png
l3-1_medium.png (105.75 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
l2-4_medium.png
l2-4_medium.png (105.57 KiB) Viewed 1128 times

4.If need adjusting the heat bed LOWER, perform the same procedure as adjusting it higher, the only difference is turning the nylon tip screw COUNTER-CLOCKWISE.

5.Perform the same procedure to each point according to previous measurements of bed level.

6.Re-do the measurement as step1 to check if all points are at the same height. If not, adjust it accordingly. If yes, check if all screws are tight.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:09 pm

7.When the heat bed is leveled, before proceeding to print, check Z axis home position. Press ‘Home’ on ‘Utility’ for Z axis and watch it homing closely. If the heat bed hits the nozzle and still keeps moving up, power off the printer or use your hand to touch the Z limit switch to stop the bed movement immediately. Loose the lock nut in the back of the Z limit switch screw to free the thumb screw to adjust the gap between the build plate and the nozzle. Adjust the gap to proper distance (around 0.2mm) and then you can start your prints.
l7-3_medium.png
l7-3_medium.png (107.36 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
l7-2_medium.png
l7-2_medium.png (90.28 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
l7-1_medium.png
l7-1_medium.png (85.38 KiB) Viewed 1128 times

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:33 am

NewbPilot wrote:

My bed is definitely not factory level :( Right side is about 0.2 mm higher than left, maybe a little less. if I level z-gap with 0.2mm gauge on left side, middle to right gauge cant go under nozzle. if i level z-gap with 0.2mm gauge in middle or left side, right side doesnt come near the gauge as it goes under nozzle. I can basically use about 1/3 the bed at any one time. I print mostly PETG and TPU, so rafts are out. Is there a video on how to level the bed properly?

If you haven't started your leveling, can you please share some unleveling pictures onto our ticket system? And also the serial number of you printer. We want to report back to our factory.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:07 pm

Vicky, Being dead honest, I think the problem is not that bed leveling has to be done, it's the expectation and sales pitch that it doesn't have to be done. Just basic common sense here. These printers are large and heavy. They get shipped across the world and while they are strong and well built, the journey is sure to jostle and stress the system.

Again, the problem isn't the very minor leveling error, not by a long shot. That should be expected. It's the fact Raise 3D makes it bad by what is said:
#1 they say leveling is not required. False, it's not required often once you get it right, but to say never- it's biting you and the customer.
#2 better videos and instructions than even I made on making this an understood normal action.
#3 The confusion that only the very first Kickstarter units has some issues and that none of this applies to the current shipping printers.
You cannot remove the information, but placing it in a much more organized method, making it clear to new customers what they have.
Because second to this bed leveling thing, is the near constant asking of "Do I have a V2 nozzle", which by now, who the heck is running a V1 kickstarter unit.
#4 Again, bad wording in the guide.
#Warning: Bed leveling is not recommended by the company. If you want to level your bed by yourself, please make sure you have changed you screws to the latest nylon tip screws(for KS batch 1,2,3 users). Or you may damaged the whole heated bed. Please follow this instruction to change the screws.

This is misleading to new users and owners. It should be made clear that UNLESS you have one of the early Kickstater N2/N2 Plus, this does not apply as a warning. The system was changed on all new units as a standard "feature".

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:44 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
NewbPilot wrote:

If you haven't started your leveling, can you please share some unleveling pictures onto our ticket system? And also the serial number of you printer. We want to report back to our factory.

I have not done any leveling other than adjusting z-gap. I will try to take pictures asap. Problem is I am working on a project that keeps me at the office about 13 hours a day, so I have had little time to actually sit and work on the printer. I hope to h ave time by the weekend! I wont start anything before submitting the ticket. However, it is definitely the case that the front right is about 0.15mm higher than the front left, and the middle to back right is definitely about 0.1 or so lower than the front right. If i level it for the middle, both sides are off within 30mm. So, for right now, i have super small print as tests :)

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:48 am

Jetguy wrote:Vicky, Being dead honest, I think the problem is not that bed leveling has to be done, it's the expectation and sales pitch that it doesn't have to be done. Just basic common sense here. These printers are large and heavy. They get shipped across the world and while they are strong and well built, the journey is sure to jostle and stress the system.

After owning a N1 and a wanhao duplicator i3 for almost a year, I'm not put off by needing to level the bed. Like you said, it's more expecting i dont need to, and everything i see on the topic cautioning me to call tech support. As I understand it, it's a 15-30 minute process of fine tuning some screws until it's good. I just think there should be adequate documentation on the site, complete with videos.

Heck, if I can build a FPV Quadcopter that flies at 60mph following terrible youtube videos as schematics for solder points, i can figure out how to turn 9 screws. I just need to know the process to turn them.... well, you know that i mean.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:07 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
NewbPilot wrote:

Still have not had any time to look at the printer and work on this. I have a small 70mm x 70mm area in the middle i adjust the z gap to and can print stuff for now, but most times i get an edge that warps. Looks like tech support is only available mon-fri from 10a-4p PST - which I am at work for most of - will try to take a day off

Return to “Hardware”