Instruction to swap in V2 hot end (With modified firmware)

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
John@Raise3D

Re: Instruction to swap in V2 hot end (With modified firmware)

Postby John@Raise3D » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:58 pm

Zettlinger wrote:I received my printer with the V2 already installed. Do i need to change to this firmware / Slicer too ?

(And why is it not changed on the download page? it does not work for V1 machines ? )

Yes, it is for everyone with V2 hot end.
We have not finalized the template settings for V1 with this version yet so it is not on the download page for everyone. Once we finish that, we will publish it to the download page. You can certainly use this for V1 also. You just need to adjust the flowrate and some other settings.

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:06 am

Trhuster wrote:Hi,

Finally mounted my V2 hotend and new firmware from this thread. I normally print at very high temp with Z-ABS at 290C. But new hotend or FW can only make it to 280C. Anyone else tested this? I suspect the new firmware is to blame here. Heater is nicely secured in to the heatblock.

We have updated this with a fix to PID parameter so please update the firmware again and see if it can heat up to 290. We will test it in our office also.

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:15 am

Cozmo wrote:I received my N1 with the V1 hot end, and had the usual V1 issues....the V2 arrived and after the swap, things were working quite well, 3rd party PLA, ABS, PC it all just seemed to work, and after some material specific tuning, things were great...then I updated the firmware and IM as recommended here, and I haven't been able to print a single thing successfully. Even R3D PLA with default settings, on a fresh IM install starts to go bad after a few layers.... after the raft and solid bottom layers, 2-3 layers in, and it starts getting "bumpy", which gets progressively worse on each layer after...

R3D PLA, default "high quality" V2 PLA setting

oddly...using cura slicer with default PLA settings doesn't seemingly have this issue, or using cura set to IM's default PLA settings...until it gets to points where retraction is required, then filament grinds and nozzle jams..tried setting IM settings to match cura default, and no difference...bumpy after 2-3 layers...

We released an update of the firmware (now it is N1-1.1.1). Please update to that and see if the problem goes away.

LonV

Postby LonV » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:33 am

Trhuster wrote:"Download it and put it in a USB drive. Connect to printer and under 'Print' tab, go to 'USB' and select the firmware to print. It will update itself."

Ah, thanks!

Charles

Problem after updatng IM software

Postby Charles » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:21 am

John,

I'm having the same problem. I put in the V2 & updated the firmware, started a print w/o upgrading IM. Then realized that I didn't upgrade IM so I stopped the print. Upgraded IM, resliced with the V2 ABS Hot End profile. Now nothing is printing correctly. It prints the first 3 layers ok, then messes up. Seems it is seriously over extruding on infills?

Take a look at this pic:

2016-04-22 22.16.54.jpg

bottom is BEFORE updating IM, the top is after updating IM. The infills are seriously overextruding??? Note: this is ABS.

Charles
-

John@Raise3D wrote:
Cozmo wrote:I received my N1 with the V1 hot end, and had the usual V1 issues....the V2 arrived and after the swap, things were working quite well, 3rd party PLA, ABS, PC it all just seemed to work, and after some material specific tuning, things were great...then I updated the firmware and IM as recommended here, and I haven't been able to print a single thing successfully. Even R3D PLA with default settings, on a fresh IM install starts to go bad after a few layers.... after the raft and solid bottom layers, 2-3 layers in, and it starts getting "bumpy", which gets progressively worse on each layer after...

oddly...using cura slicer with default PLA settings doesn't seemingly have this issue, or using cura set to IM's default PLA settings...until it gets to points where retraction is required, then filament grinds and nozzle jams..tried setting IM settings to match cura default, and no difference...bumpy after 2-3 layers...

We released an update of the firmware (now it is N1-1.1.1). Please update to that and see if the problem goes away.
Last edited by Charles on Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cozmo

Postby Cozmo » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:56 am

John, it's the same the same behavior with both the 1.1 and the 1.1.1 versions of the firmware...I updated to 1.1 originally, had a number of failed prints...figured I'd wait a bit see if anyone else had issues, then I noticed you patched to 1.1.1 and I updated that, and got the same result.
Due to the Cura results I figured I was an IM issue, not firmware...I moved back to IM 2.1.4.25 and have had a number of good test prints using R3D PLA and default settings. Will keep testing with more complex prints, and then will be trying out 3rd party PLA/PC/ABS

John@Raise3D wrote:

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:32 am

John@Raise3D wrote:
Trhuster wrote:Hi,

Finally mounted my V2 hotend and new firmware from this thread. I normally print at very high temp with Z-ABS at 290C. But new hotend or FW can only make it to 280C. Anyone else tested this? I suspect the new firmware is to blame here. Heater is nicely secured in to the heatblock.

We have updated this with a fix to PID parameter so please update the firmware again and see if it can heat up to 290. We will test it in our office also.

I can confirm that new FW works with 290C now. Thx for a speedy fix. :)

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:15 am

Cozmo wrote:John, it's the same the same behavior with both the 1.1 and the 1.1.1 versions of the firmware...I updated to 1.1 originally, had a number of failed prints...figured I'd wait a bit see if anyone else had issues, then I noticed you patched to 1.1.1 and I updated that, and got the same result.
Due to the Cura results I figured I was an IM issue, not firmware...I moved back to IM 2.1.4.25 and have had a number of good test prints using R3D PLA and default settings. Will keep testing with more complex prints, and then will be trying out 3rd party PLA/PC/ABS

John@Raise3D wrote:

Got it. I will ask our software engineers to work on this asap. Which system you are using? Window, Mac or Linux?

Cozmo

Postby Cozmo » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:10 pm

John@Raise3D wrote:
Got it. I will ask our software engineers to work on this asap. Which system you are using? Window, Mac or Linux?

Windows

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:24 pm

i am seeing temp swings (not just the first minute) of 223 - 236 (set temp 230 ) thats a pretty big swing and i do not recall seeing this on the old firmware.

Will test some more but now i am starting to wonder what effect a swing of 13 degrees or more does to the print

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:28 pm

Zettlinger wrote:i am seeing temp swings (not just the first minute) of 223 - 236 (set temp 230 ) thats a pretty big swing and i do not recall seeing this on the old firmware.

Will test some more but now i am starting to wonder what effect a swing of 13 degrees or more does to the print

My first print after new FW at 290C is in range off +-2C for 5 hours now.

Wibb

Postby Wibb » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:14 pm

i can confirm that the new IM for v2 nozzle is over extruding on my n2 plus. im reverting back to older IM software in the meantime.
Last edited by Wibb on Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:31 pm

Ran update and said it was completed successfully but version number in the machine did not change (think its a visual bug so i think it is version 1.1.1)

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:55 pm

Cozmo wrote:
John@Raise3D wrote:

Windows

When printing, check the flowrate reading on touchscreen and adjust it to 94 for PLA. The update will not erase the old templates so certain settings may needs adjustment.

John@Raise3D

Re: Problem after updatng IM software

Postby John@Raise3D » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:00 pm

Charles wrote:John,

I'm having the same problem. I put in the V2 & updated the firmware, started a print w/o upgrading IM. Then realized that I didn't upgrade IM so I stopped the print. Upgraded IM, resliced with the V2 ABS Hot End profile. Now nothing is printing correctly. It prints the first 3 layers ok, then messes up. Seems it is seriously over extruding on infills?

Take a look at this pic:

2016-04-22 22.16.54.jpg

bottom is BEFORE updating IM, the top is after updating IM. The infills are seriously overextruding??? Note: this is ABS.

Charles
-

John@Raise3D wrote:

Please lower the flowrate to try again. This version of ideaMaker is not finalized yet so you need to play with the settings a little bit.

Charles

Re: Problem after updatng IM software

Postby Charles » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:39 pm

John,

I reverted back to 2.1.4 and it is all working correctly again. I compared the flow rate for ABS and it is the same for both profiles. Somehting else must have changed? Again, for my problem, it appears to be version 2.1.5. Take a look at the picture, it appears to be extruding 2x for the infills.
2016-04-22 22.16.54.jpg

I'm on the windows version.

Charles

firesped

Postby firesped » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:14 pm

Zettlinger wrote:i am seeing temp swings (not just the first minute) of 223 - 236 (set temp 230 ) thats a pretty big swing and i do not recall seeing this on the old firmware.

I'm having temp swings as well when setting the initial temp, I thought it was due to my insulated hotend. (121-131 degrees cooler outside the insulation)
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

firesped

Postby firesped » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:20 pm

I've been printing stuff for the past week and have had various issues with small parts popping off the raft, tried to print my spaceship and the whole thing got knocked lose. I was running the hotbed at 50 degrees. I went to print out a 2 inch by 5 inch model and I found it had bad shrinking due to the raft pulling loose. so I increased the hotbed to 60 and that seemed to solve that issue.

I had a print shift on a 6 hour print, i think this is being caused by the X and Y stepper motors overheating during long prints in the enclosed area. so I am getting some heatsinks to put on them as well as the filament motors.
printers:

Derek@Raise3D
Site Admin

Postby Derek@Raise3D » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:55 am

Try to make sure the PLA flowrate is 94% not 88%.
=================
Derek@Raise3D.com
I'm a lazy engineer. So I want everything automated.

firesped

Postby firesped » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:10 pm

I haven't had the over extrusion issue on the sides. But I can't say I am 100% happy with the top layers.
printers:

Return to “Hardware”