Touch screen and calibration issues

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Spikeysonic

Touch screen and calibration issues

Postby Spikeysonic » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:47 am

My touch screen seems to have a problem. When you switch it on it seems to respond, but shortly after that it stops reacting to tough. I had to use the idea maker software to connect and control it. I have had to take apart the second extruder to clean it and been trying to reassemble it and calibrate the hot end s. Seem to be having trouble setting it right. How big is the gap supposed to be between bed and nosels as tries a business car but it kept getting pined or scratched and when I tried to print it appeared to be rubbing the build tac and blocking the flow causing gear skip, but when not on the surface material does flow. it also seems to want to calibrate over the edge of the build plate.

N2 dual

Also how do I tell if it is version one or two? my heatsink is one piece with inset

Jetguy

Re: Touch screen and calibration issues

Postby Jetguy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:31 am

You have a V2 hotend. They haven't made a V1 hotend since the kickstarter versions.

Touch the metal frame or a screw with one hand and touch the screen with the other. It is capacitivetouch so DO NOT press harder on the screen trying to make it register. You have to be grounded and that means again, touching the frame or any metal screw on the machine and touching the screen makes it responsive.

I cannot solve your other issues- you just need to follow the manual and understand the mechanics. Maybe call tech support and have them walk you through this.

ABH

Postby ABH » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:26 pm

The capacitance of your body to the surroundings will be normally more than sufficient to trigger the capacitive sensors of the touch display.
The effective capacitance, as seen by the touch display, will not increase significantly by you touching a grounded surface.
Despite this, it might still help to touch the printers metal frame with your other hand, but this is for another reason than you might think :-)
It might be an indication of the printer itself not being well grounded!
If the printers metal frame isn't grounded, it's likely that there's a lot of common mode noise (CMN) on the printers chassis. This comes from many different sources. One source is the switch mode power supply in the printer. It can also come from other equipment in the household with switching supplies. There's also a lower frequency component (55V @60 Hz in US, 110V @ 50 Hz in Europe) that comes from the chassis being at a middle potential between the live and neutral potentials.
When CMN is present on the printers chassis, and thereby also present on the surface of the touch display, it overlays the voltage pulses used for synchronous detection of finger presence on the touch surface and makes the detection difficult. When CMN is present on the chassis and you touch the chassis with your other hand, then effectively you kind of ground your printer, or at least puts the printer chassis and your body at the same voltage potential, thereby reducing the effective CMN seen by the sensing elements of the touch display, and thereby increasing the probability of your finger touch being detected.
Normally the 50/60 Hz CMN components aren't problematic for touch sensing, it's the higher frequency components that are problematic. The higher frequency disturbance can change frequency and level over time, depending on the immediate load of the switcher and therefore you can experience that touch sensing is more difficult at some times than others.
So, bottom line is, the first thing to check is the protective grounding of your printer. In some countries it's not mandatory to have protective grounding in the mains outlet, but you should definitely always ensure that the printer is properly grounded.
If you still have problems with the activation of the touch display, then it's a good idea to make your finger a little wet before touching the display. Compared to a dry finger, this increases the effective electrical charge seen by the touch sensing elements as a response to the voltage excitation pulses.

Spikeysonic

Postby Spikeysonic » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:23 am

ABH I tried that but no effect on the grounding... it seems to work for a bit then stop till you switch it on and off.. It does have a european plug with an adapter for the UK, I think thats 2 pronged unlike the Uk whihc may explain the grounding. its on a wooden coffee table thats thick and sturdy,

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:12 pm

How about ideaMaker remote control the screen? The response with remote control is responsive or not?

About dual nozzle alignment, you may need to check this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bv5rPmiO0Q

Spikeysonic

Postby Spikeysonic » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:58 pm

Computer control by wireless no problems. When you turn the printer on no probllems, but after a short period of time thats when the screen on the printer stops being touch sensitive, 5 to 10 mins but you can stoll computer remote control it

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:45 am

Have you ever tried with one hand touching some metal thing, like the metal frame inside the printer, and the other hand touch the screen? Will it be better?

Spikeysonic

Postby Spikeysonic » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Yes no effect

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:37 am

How about wired mouse?
Please check whether with mouse control, the reaction on screen is proper or still stuck.

Return to “Hardware”