Not reaching temperature

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Not reaching temperature

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:02 am

Dear Sir,

Please install our latest touchscreen firmware:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ideamaker/touc ... .raisepack

After upgrading the firmware, enter Setting -> More Settings -> Hardware -> PID Settings -> PID Autotune.
1.png

Choose the nozzle which you want to set high temperature and set the target temperature value there. If you need 250C very often, then set Tuning Temperature to be 250C. Press Start, it will start automatically.
2.png

After it shows the final result on screen, press Apply.
3.png

Back to home page and try heating to high temperature one more time to check whether it helps.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:44 am

Can we get this added to the FAQ pages? https://www.raise3d.com/pages/faq

The problem is, this is buried in the forum making it the needle in the haystack.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:47 am

Also, note, we have a generally hard to navigate and find support answers problem. For example highly recommend this is in the FAQ section, but then you also have the WIKI. Somehow this all needs combined into a more sensible single resource for users.

Definitely, any technical information posted here in the "community" should be either in the wiki or linked FAQ sections as finding them here is a nightmare.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:45 pm

Note that the first three items in the "wiki" (Mechanic Tips, Software Tips, and Print Defects) are content-free - not linked to anything.

Also, PID for the heated print bed is missing.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:42 pm

I think the bed is not running PID in the Marlin firmware, hence why you do not see a way to override or autotune it on the LCD.

The Marlin firmware running on the motion controller has to have PID enabled for the BED to actually use PID.
https://github.com/Raise3D/Marlin-Raise ... guration.h

line 253 //#define PIDTEMPBED
The // means it's commented out, so running bang bang on off, not PID.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:46 am

We are currently constructing our website, and planning to add more instructions onto the website and remove some unused or incorrect information from the current website.
Thanks for your suggestion about the WIKI and FAQ page, we will take into consideration.

cbarron

Postby cbarron » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:27 pm

I had the same problem. Tried to run polycarbonate at 295 which i've many times before on this machine; wouldn't heat up above 285. I reseated the connectors on the head and everything instantly started work correctly again.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:50 am

cbarron wrote:I had the same problem. Tried to run polycarbonate at 295 which i've many times before on this machine; wouldn't heat up above 285. I reseated the connectors on the head and everything instantly started work correctly again.

Would you like to attach a picture to share which connector you have checked? So that others have the same problem later can follow your step.
Is that the one big black one on extruder board?

SebZed

Postby SebZed » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:50 am

I'm totally aware of this topic being old, but figured my own solution after having the same problem with the nozzle not reaching temperatures above 250.

I recently replaced the screw on the side of the hotend, that fastens the thermocouple and must have overtightened it. I released it just a little, as it was the only change I did recently and it instantly heated up correctly.
I guess the pressure on the thermocouple just let to false measurements or something.

hope this may helps somebody else as well...

just found out that this wasn't as helpful as assumed. After a few printing tests it fails to reach temperatures again. The fastest solution is to just unscrew the fan for heating up and the reassmble it for pinting. the hotend will keep the high temperature th whole printing process for some reason after this procedure... still not appropriate.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:29 am

SebZed wrote:I'm totally aware of this topic being old, but figured my own solution after having the same problem with the nozzle not reaching temperatures above 250.

I recently replaced the screw on the side of the hotend, that fastens the thermocouple and must have overtightened it. I released it just a little, as it was the only change I did recently and it instantly heated up correctly.
I guess the pressure on the thermocouple just let to false measurements or something.

hope this may helps somebody else as well...

just found out that this wasn't as helpful as assumed. After a few printing tests it fails to reach temperatures again. The fastest solution is to just unscrew the fan for heating up and the reassmble it for pinting. the hotend will keep the high temperature th whole printing process for some reason after this procedure... still not appropriate.

Doesn't the PID tuning help your problem?

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:22 pm

i wouldn't trust that sensor anymore. If you know things changed with just losen the screw a bit, that's asking for a desaster to happen sooner or later. If i'd be in your shoes, i'd replace that sensor asap.

Noren

Postby Noren » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:01 pm

Couldn’t irregular temp values also be caused by a faulty band cable? I got a lot of random errors when my cable failed.

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:52 am

If there is an intermittent connection in the ribbon cable this can cause temperature variance. Replacement would be advised in that case. For SebZed I would request a picture of the Breakout board on the print head to see if there is any damage to the board being that a screw loosening helped apparently.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

SebZed

Postby SebZed » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:09 am

sorry for all the confusion, but apparently the PID tuning solved my problem in the end.
I must have misunderstood the instructions in the first place an tried it again. Now everything seems fine, even with that screw tightend properly ;)
thanks anyway!

dmtulsa

Postby dmtulsa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:49 am

I had the same issue. I couldn't even get it to run the auto PID under maintenance which was the problem in my case. I ended up connecting the controller board via USB to my computer and running a gcode terminal program to send directions to the printer. The Pronterface program works well. The Baud rate must be set to 230400. Run the auto PID sending M303 E0 S250 . m303 starts PID auto tune, E0 is extruder 0 (left) S250 is the set temperature. When its done it well display the Ki, Kd Kp values. Go to the printer and input the values in the manual PID settings in maintenance. Reboot. Now it should heat properly and the auto tune PIDto work. There may be a better way but its the only thing that works for me when the printer looses its settings. They can also be set directly in the firmware.
Doug

Return to “Hardware”