BONDTECH DUAL DIRECT UPGRADE ISSUE

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
GEGE

BONDTECH DUAL DIRECT UPGRADE ISSUE

Postby GEGE » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:22 pm

Hello to everyone,
I just installed my brand new BONDTECH DUAL DIRECT UPGRADE on my N2 DUAL (Black stepper motors, diecast extruder housing), I adjusted the E-Step value to 415, set the 2 step motors at 0.5V (top 2 potentiometers).

I wanted to try it so I printed the last part I printed using the factory fitting extruder and the result was a mess.

After some layers the nozzle was digging the previously printed layer and therefore the extruded material was spread sideways making a mess, it worsened layer after layer until the hot-end gave up !!! it ended bent, the part unstuck from the Builtak layer (Flexplate).

It looks to me that the amount of material poured by the nozzle is too much creating layers too thick, thicker than the Z increment between the layers. I haven't done anything to the Z parameters I just followed the installation instruction downloaded from the Bondtech website.

Any idea where the problem comes from ? all ideas are welcome

Thanks for the help

RGDS jerome

dmangiameli3

Re: BONDTECH DUAL DIRECT UPGRADE ISSUE

Postby dmangiameli3 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:30 pm

I'm not fully sure the issue you're having as mine hasn't been as drastic, but my print quality is not near as good as it was before I upgraded a week ago. Did you make sure the z-height was correct? Although the nozzle height shouldn't have changed from the upgrade. I think I'm having issues with overheating of the plastic and rough surface quality. Maybe this is related and is actually due to over-extrusion like you are thinking.
https://imgur.com/a/uEvcmnj

GEGE

Postby GEGE » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:45 pm

Hi,
Looks you have the same issue, I tried lowering the heatbed T°, I thought it solved the problem a little but after a few layers it was still printing very poor
I re-adjusted the nozzle against the Builtak at 0.3mm as I usually, I even replaced the Builtak sheet on the flexplate.

Another difference I have with the previous extruder is that I added a silicone cover on the heat block, that might in fact increase the extrusion T° creating an overflow, I have to try now lowering it and see the result, if I cannot get a better result I will disassemble the whole system and put back the original extruder which printed a far better result than the Bondtech upgrade. A Shane to through away €215.

Bondtech people are also trying to help but they told me they never encountered this problem with others (you should contact them to tell them you have the same issue !!!)

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:05 am

Did you autotune the hotend PID settings after adding the silicone boot? Mine changed quite a bit after adding the boot.

GEGE

Postby GEGE » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:12 am

Hi
I have no idea what you mean by "autoune the hotend PID settings"

dmangiameli3

Postby dmangiameli3 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:33 pm

I also installed the silicone hot end covers. Maybe it is related to that? I've reached out to their support and their first question is if I lowered the voltage for the motors to 0.5V because if I didn't similar problems occur. My voltage was set correctly however, so I'll continue talking with them.

I've heard of adjusting PID settings for reprap printers, but it did not seem like it was possibly/needed to tune PID settings for the Raise3D. Alex M. do you have the Bondtech extruders and how did you tune the PID settings? I didn't see a mention of that with the silicone installation instructions.

I had one of my yellow parts come out nicely yesterday even though I didn't really change any settings, and tried printing it again and had more rough edges on the rounded edges, so it seems inconsistent.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:06 am

Hi sorry for the delay. First of all, Yes, I have a Bondtech upgrade but I only have the single and only run a single extruder. I also added the silicone boot not long after the Bondtech. I also have a dedicated fan shroud for the hot-end, with no output for part cooling, and a dedicated software controllable part cooling fan which came with the single extruder N2 Plus model.

As for the PID settings, they are in the touchscreen. You can go to the "manual" setting page and i believe see what your settings are. I then ran the "autotune" setup and then checked my setting and they changed a lot. Not sure if that was due to the boot, my autotune temp, or possibly a bad original setting. I did a search about the PID and just found the following link, hope it helps. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1505&p=15761&hilit=PID#p15761

GEGE

Postby GEGE » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:43 pm

Hi,
thanks for the replies, I have done the PID AUTOTUNE and also tightened a lot more the screw with spring on the extruder teethed wheel following a recommendation from the BONDTECH support team, I will see if it does anything good or not
J

Return to “Hardware”