Olsson Ruby, will it fit?

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
lami3d

Re: Olsson Ruby, will it fit?

Postby lami3d » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:38 am

Hello,

it's a hardened raise3d nozzle on the picture.
I've not ran dual printing but you will have to replace the 2 nozzle if you want to do it (their standard nozzle seems to have the same height than the ruby one).

I've been contacted by olsson ruby team after they saw this topic... they told me about that and i have to answer them on this point (i have to ask Vicky and Raise3D team).
They said that because a raise3d user told them that the fan ducts will be modified (soon or already) to include a heat shield like on this design http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2183758. In this case, it mays cause issues because of the nozzle length vs heat shield...
But i didn't heard anything about this mod... I'm going to send a PM to Vicky to clear this point.

Even if this mod is true, i told ruby team that it's not a big problem because other fan ducts design exists and we just have to change the fan duct conf if we want to install ruby nozzle.

I've got a N2+ from october 2016 and a N2 from february 2017, they don't have this design.
Both are like that :

20170324_180153.jpg
Last edited by lami3d on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:19 am

We haven't changed the design of fan duct. Only make it a little longer (should be 2mm) than previous for some nearly batches.
But doesn't have heat shield or any other extra structure.

lami3d

Postby lami3d » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:27 am

Tx Vicky for your answer.
I think a user has confused with this design http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2183758

bellatrixzen

Postby bellatrixzen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:23 pm

@lami3d
Excellent. Thanks for the info!

ssommer79

Postby ssommer79 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:48 pm

Just for my understanding the whole thing:

On your picture, there's a gap between the heater block and the nozzle. Does this not make a problem with the temperature at the nozzle top / where the filament will be pulled out?

Unbenannt-1.jpg

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:44 pm

No, because the problem is, nobody well explained to the general 3D printing public how melting actually happens.
If you waited until the tip to melt filament, you would never be able to print above 30-40mm/s (not extrusion speed XY speed with a reasonable layer height and 0.4mm nozzle).
Your filament melts long before the nozzle tip. It actually starts melting above the heater block inside the metal tube because heat is conducted upwards and the metal "throat tube" is screwed directly into the aluminum block. The entire aluminum block and thus all that height is "the melt zone". The idea is that by the time it ever hits the visible nozzle tip extending from the bottom of the heater block, it's pressurized liquid in all but extreme limits of extrusion rate. Now obviously, don't go screwing in a "volcano" long nozzle and have it sticking out several mm of just raw threads, but this arrangement as shown is of zero concern. It actually is correct- there are no more threads in the spot you circled so even if screwed up into the block- you gain no thermal conduction and you should never bottom out a nozzle against the face of the block.

Return to “Hardware”