PEI Build Plate - Rigid Underlayer Needed on N1?

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
mitchfx

PEI Build Plate - Rigid Underlayer Needed on N1?

Postby mitchfx » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:43 pm

I finally cracked my first glass sheet after 4 years of 3d printing, which was inevitable I guess. Luckily it was on my N1 and not the N2 and I have a spare glass. I do not, however, have any N1 sized BuildTak on hand and was about to order a 3 pack of 10x10" on amazon then cut to size. But then I had second thoughts and remembered the PEI sheet I used to use on a now sold Rapid3D printer, which I really loved.

I did some searching here on the forum and it seems like most people recommend sticking the PEI sheet onto either a glass or aluminum plate. I was curious if this is necessary and why. If it's to prevent flexing and warping it seems like that MIGHT not be as big of a problem on the N1 as it would be on the larger N2 build area. I'm also open to other suggestions on best build surface for mostly PLA and occassional/rare ABS printing. LokBuild? Others?

Thanks!

EldRick

Re: PEI Build Plate - Rigid Underlayer Needed on N1?

Postby EldRick » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:15 pm

My .5mm PEI for N2 was certainly warped, but flattened out reasonably well when adhered to the glass buildplate.

Return to “Hardware”