Thermal Protector - Cable Won't Plug In

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
mitchfx

Thermal Protector - Cable Won't Plug In

Postby mitchfx » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:58 pm

I'm trying to install the Thermal Protector into my N2 Plus and for some reason the connector from the original cable won't plug into the socket on the protector. I've checked the orientation and all the pins appear to be straight, but for some reason there's a lot of resistance when I try to mate them and I don't want to force it and risk breaking/bending a pin. Has anyone else experienced this?

Jetguy

Re: Thermal Protector - Cable Won't Plug In

Postby Jetguy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:09 am

You might want to check- you may have to remove a pin if your cable has a pin inserted into the IDC a key for the older mainboard that did not have shrouded headers.
Start reading here and follow down a few replies.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6580&start=20#p28328

Suggestion is to try to flex the pin back and forth in the connector to break it off, or other means.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6580&start=40#p28535
zemlin wrote:In my experience, removing said pin from the connector is easiest with small needle nose pliers - flex it back and forth a few times and it will break off at the base. Easier than trying to snip it off down inside the socket.

I have those same Hakko clippers. Highly recommended.

Again, the deal is, the plug in thermal protector in it's connector may have ALL the pins in the socket. That means if your existing long ribbon cable has this factory hack of using an inserted pin now firmly lodged inside the IDC connector- you aren't going to easily pull out out, so you need to make the matching socket on the thermal protector and remove the offending pin.
Attachments
Hakko-chp170.jpg
Missing pin mainboard.JPG
Connector with no key.JPG
Keyed IDC.JPG
Keyed socket.jpg

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:13 am

Again, let's make sure this is clear, you aren't doing ANYTHING to your mainboard.
I've only shared those pictures to show that over time, they first used a non-shrouded row of pin header for the ribbon cable and then later, used a shrouded socket. The problem is, in order to key the non-shrouded, they inserted a cutoff pin INTO the ribbon cable and cut the pin at the mainboard (maybe it's the same pin??). Point being, now you are putting a thermal protector board in the middle between your existing long ribbon cable and the mainboard. The new safety board device has ALL the pins in the socket your long ribbon cable is attempting to plug into. The bad part is, you cannot easily remove the now jammed in pin. It's near impossible. So, that means modifying the brand new safety board.

mitchfx

Postby mitchfx » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:23 am

Jetguy,

Thanks for the replies. This all checks out and my board header is definitely missing the pin even though I can't really see the inserted one in the connector. I suspect it's just down a little too deep to see clearly but actually there.

I totally trust your guidance on this but will probably wait until Raise3D support directly instructs me to remove the offending pin from the thermal protector. That way I'm covered if something goes terribly wrong ;)

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:05 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:We apologize for our negligence that we overlook the differences of the connectors between early batches and later ones.
Thanks so much for Jetguy’s explanation and helpful instructions.
Either removing the pin from the ribbon cable side or cutting the pin from the protector can work. However, from our perspective, removing the pin should be safer.
Anyone with the same problem due to the earlier batches, please try to take out the pin from ribbon cable’s connector carefully with tweezers. Anything still unsolved on this, please feel free to let us know.

At this point, obviously you cannot remove the pin from the ribbon cable connector easily.
Hopefully you'll get a response from Vicky. That said, keep in mind the cycle here. If the answer is to send you a new ribbon cable with no pins- think about how long that is before you actually get one and might be printing.....

A pin is keeping you from printing- this is a sad, sad, sad day.

Return to “Hardware”