Spool Holder for N2

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
teslabe

Re: Spool Holder for N2

Postby teslabe » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:56 pm

jetdillo wrote:
teslabe wrote:http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=56-250
Here is what I found to work very well "Decoil-Zit Wire and Cable Spooler 25in"

Do you find that you get any oscillations in the cabinet or missed steps or other effects from that style of spool holder being mounted on top of your printer ?

I've used this setup for over a year and have not had an issue, it's far better then the original filament path.

tullywhistles

Postby tullywhistles » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:38 pm

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all of the previous thoughts on this thread, I've followed it with interest over the years. I've hit upon a method that works for me - thought that I'd share. I found this at thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2047554/#files . I've used an industrial double-stick tape to adhere one of the sleds to the base. The other sled is free floating to allow for different size spools.

In my setup it allows enough filament to unspool such that it reduces the shock from quick printhead movements but not to much that it gets tangled. It's also nice that it fits in the cabinet.

Here's how I use it in my setup. It's the red spool. The brown spool is just sitting there for storage.

IMG_2227.jpg

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:11 pm

I printed the ball-bearing version, and had the same issue - the door won't close and the center spindle sags.

Of course, the door won't close with 90% of the filament I use anyway, because the enclosed area is too narrow for most spools.

DarrenN2

Postby DarrenN2 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:39 pm

After many months away from 3D printing, I am getting back into it again.
I redesigned the spool holder to use less material and have a better fit. I have not yet printed myself, but it should work well. The spool holder file will have to be oriented on its side in order to possibly print without support material.
Let us know if any of you print it and use it. You will need to print 2x Spool Stand and 1x Spool Holder

Darren
Attachments
Spool Holder.jpg
Spool Holder.STL.stl
(46.76 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Spool Stand.stl
(3.6 KiB) Downloaded 40 times

DarrenN2

Postby DarrenN2 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:39 pm

Got around to printing this spool holder out today. Printed will and the Spool Holder printed without support when oriented on its side.

Parts fits well together and the stands are fit firmly on the printer itself.

I havent had a chance to try to print with filaments loaded from this position yet, so not sure hoe well it will work.

Darren
Attachments
IMG_4961.jpg
IMG_4960.jpg
IMG_4959.jpg

tullywhistles

Postby tullywhistles » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:00 pm

I'm on my 4th attempt at a spool holder. I kept on getting breakage. Here's what I ended up with. I did have the spool sitting on top, but it was cumbersome to switch spools. Very happy with this setup so far.
IMG_3478.jpg

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:20 pm

IMHO, this one works even better: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1375267

Return to “Hardware”