Spool Holder for N2

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
sylus

Re: Spool Holder for N2

Postby sylus » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:48 pm

lami3d wrote:
Lots of other spool holders out there as well. Thanks for the help Raise community.

We must give to Caesar what is Caesar's ; it's Sylus solution :mrgreen: remix from a ultimaker user design
and photohoolic reports in the forum few days ago...

i didn't experiment printing problems linked to that but it's good for the noises (no spool that rubs on the door anymore) and it improves the feeding because there's absolutly no friction... even if i don't visually notice an improvement

One thing i've not told you is that on my first printer (from october 2016), the spool holder were in metal and heavy... i saw that on the last printers, they are in plastic and lighter and so it's less stable (i never used this plastic raise3d spool holder because i had 2 metal ones)[/quote]

I love remix things ,this shape was my favorite UM2.
Next level now....
18010064_1889909534560495_6445878946095239503_n.jpg

jerteach

Postby jerteach » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:27 pm

lami3d wrote:As i have been advised 2 days ago, this design is a good one !
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1729239

I will probably be printing that design, however has anyone tried it in the top spool holder? My copy of it went in easy but was almost impossible to remove. Not an issue with the lower spool holders. I am printing my one with a smaller extension so it can be removed from the top location.
B.Sc (Chemistry), B.Ed (High School) Diploma Counselling
40 years coding. Teach: Robotics, Coding, Animation and 3D Printing. I research Music Notation
Train: Rugby Players and Recurrent Neural Networks
Twitter: @rocksetta https://twitter.com/rocksetta

sgeolog

Postby sgeolog » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Hi,
DarrenN2 did you upload you files? Can you do it please?

Thanks

jerteach

Postby jerteach » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:14 am

So my spool holder now works, but it really isn't much of a reduction in friction from the original. My one used 0.3 N while the stock one used 0.5 N. I was expecting a larger gap in measurements but that is what I got, remember that the error in these measurements is probably about 0.2 N so the values are fairly close.

My spool holder 0.3 N
my-spool-holder.jpg

Raise offset spool holder 0.5N
stock-raise.jpg

What did however really surprise me was the friction increase after I fed the filament through the
small filament holder tubes was a large 1.1 N force !

feeder tubes.jpg

So I am now working on a sleeve to replace the filament tubes

my-Sleeves.jpg

When looking at my other 3D printer the Raise tube is almost half the size.

Tinkerine feeder tube on the left and the Raise3D feeder tube on the right.

tinkerine-left-vs-raise-right.jpg

The mystery of the phantom frictional forces continues. :)
40 years coding. Teach: Robotics, Coding, Animation and 3D Printing. I research Music Notation

3d4you

Postby 3d4you » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:16 pm

For some Filaments it is a really good idea to make an outdoor spool holder. I tried CarbonX on R3DN2Plus andstuck after 30 each time. because of the high buildplate temp the room gets too hot and makes the filament soft. And feeder stucks. Some PVAs have same effect.

3d4you

Postby 3d4you » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:19 pm

Are there any designs with ball bearing based spool holder ?

jerteach

Postby jerteach » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:10 pm

Just an update. I have stopped working on the spool situation. I think an external spool holder is the best situation, however I do not like spool holders that are directly above the printer as I don't want anything dropping into the print.

My spool holder is not much better than the Raise3D one. I stopped working on my 3D Printed filament tube holder since it was worse than the stock short plastic guide tube. I did find it is better to have most of the plastic guide tube below the top of the machine.

My raft issues seem to be more to do with printing at 205 degrees C and incorrectly using the long filament holder (which I do not use now). When I print PLA at 210 or above I get a better top of my raft. Another solution is to slow down the raft printing speed.

jerteach

Postby jerteach » Sat May 20, 2017 2:36 am

DarrenN2 wrote:While I haven't had many issues with my filament being loaded in the stock position, I did have some issues using a Wood filament. The extruder feeder gear would slip on the filament in some cases.
I do not have an easy way to feed filament from above, due to the location of my printer, so I decided to print a spool holder to accomplish the same goal.
I could probably refine the parts a little further to reduce material amount used and print time, but this works for me for now :)
If anyone is interested, I can redesign, and post on thingiverse.

Thanks
Darren

Hi Darren: Can you post the raw stl files zipped here? Would be really great to see what you did. Has the spool ever fallen into the printer? I am looking into a similar design which has the spool a few inches away from the top of the printer, but my design uses a lot more material. (Thinking for speeds sake that I might just to make it out of real wood. :oops: )

Here is a re-post of Darren's design.

spoolholder.JPG
spoolholder.JPG (26.18 KiB) Viewed 36 times

Return to “Hardware”