Spool Holder for N2

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
DarrenN2

Spool Holder for N2

Postby DarrenN2 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:27 pm

While I haven't had many issues with my filament being loaded in the stock position, I did have some issues using a Wood filament. The extruder feeder gear would slip on the filament in some cases.
I do not have an easy way to feed filament from above, due to the location of my printer, so I decided to print a spool holder to accomplish the same goal.
I could probably refine the parts a little further to reduce material amount used and print time, but this works for me for now :)
If anyone is interested, I can redesign, and post on thingiverse.

Thanks
Darren
Attachments
IMG_3833.JPG
IMG_3835.JPG

walshlg

Re: Spool Holder for N2

Postby walshlg » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:28 pm

sweet please post the design

Mecha_Monster

Postby Mecha_Monster » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:39 pm

Good solution; looks great.
so far what i have been doing is applying lube to the spool holder, it works, but is a cheap and dirty solution. I should better try something like what you did.

teslabe

Postby teslabe » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:48 pm

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductDe ... ode=56-250
Here is what I found to work very well "Decoil-Zit Wire and Cable Spooler 25in"
Attachments
Overhead feed using wire spool holder.jpg

jerteach

Postby jerteach » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:30 pm

Vicky, can you post the .STL file for the Stock Raise filament holder, I would like to try a wider diameter, or design a sleeve that fits the spool. (Not a big deal if you don't have it)

stock-holder.jpg

My Physics teacher side does not like the offset of the holder, I think when filament is pulled in short bursts (high speed with retraction) it sets up a rocking angular momentum that causes issues such as extruder slip.

group - Copy.jpg

I checked the force using the raise offset holder and then a holder that almost fills the entire spool and I am getting lower friction from the more centered holder. (I pulled the filament in slow short bursts, not really scientific but interesting)

The Raise3D stock Filament holder ranged from 0.3 - 0.8 Newtons

friction-stock.jpg

A more round holder ranged from 0.2 - 0.5 Newtons (obviously effected by the pulling speed) My results could be wrong, but it was fun to get a few students to do the tests.

friction round.jpg
B.Sc (Chemistry), B.Ed (High School) Diploma Counselling
40 years coding. Teach: Robotics, Coding, Animation and 3D Printing. I research Music Notation
Train: Rugby Players and Recurrent Neural Networks
Twitter: @rocksetta https://twitter.com/rocksetta

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:54 am

Let me check with our engineer whether they have STL file of it.
Maybe no, we haven't printed it on our side before.

lami3d

Postby lami3d » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:20 am

As i have been advised 2 days ago, this design is a good one !
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1729239

jerteach

Postby jerteach » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:17 am

lami3d wrote:As i have been advised 2 days ago, this design is a good one !

That one with the bearings looks really good, but I want to see if the amount of friction can be reduced using a normal 3D Printing spool holder. In my situation I think my filament is a bit under diameter (about 1.60 mm instead of 1.75 mm), combined with the friction from the tube holder (which I have now removed and things are much better), with the issue of the offset spool holder is causing the filament slipping problems I am having.

I really want this cleared up before I try any multi-hour prints.

Here is what I have at the moment, but I am going to have to wait until Tuesday to test out the sizes. (I normally take a few prints until I get the measurements just right)

Image of a filament holder and a sleeve for the 1 Kg Raise3D Spools
holder-base10-image.png

Attached are the STL files if anyone wants to have a go with them.
Attachments
holder-base11-filament-holder-need_supports.stl
(109.75 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
holder-base11-Sleeve.stl
(262.97 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
holder-base11-filament-holder-homemade-support-_25mm-gap_.stl
(113.46 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by jerteach on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
40 years coding. Teach: Robotics, Coding, Animation and 3D Printing. I research Music Notation

Mecha_Monster

Postby Mecha_Monster » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:59 pm

Very low tec solution; apply a small amount of lube to the holder. The lub wont contaminate the filament, and the spool will easily roll.
I did it and I notice a drastic improvement with my feeder skipping issue.

jerteach

Postby jerteach » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:02 pm

Awesome idea Mecha_Monster I will test that when I have finished my centered spool holder

Mecha_Monster wrote:Very low tec solution; apply a small amount of lube to the holder. The lub wont contaminate the filament, and the spool will easily roll.
I did it and I notice a drastic improvement with my feeder skipping issue.

Not finding a lot of information about PLA compatible lubricants. I would prefer a silicon or a graphite paste instead of a spray (Just to fully control where it is going). One site suggested KY Jelly :oops: another Vaseline (petroleum jelly?), and also lithium grease.

Does anyone know of a lubricant they really like using with PLA?

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:04 pm

I will see if I can get a copy of the roller bearing sleeve one of the guys made up. I am going to go with a big version and wall mount my huge rolls of filament - suddenly friction becomes a really big deal!

jerteach

Postby jerteach » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:57 am

I will not be able to get into my school until Tuesday next week to test this part. I have printed my spool holder on my homemade Kossel Delta 3D Printer

holder01.jpg

I know that I need to make a few changes but I do not know if the holder will connect to the Raise 3D Printer. Could someone print this small upside down part and test it for me? I just want to know if it will fit into the slot that the Raise Spool holder attaches to.

check.png

Here is the attached STL file. It should be about a 40 min print.
holder-base07-check-connection.stl
(10.92 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

If not I will just wait until next week.

lami3d

Postby lami3d » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:09 pm

I'm going to try to print this to tell you if it's good but you can compare with the base of the spool holder with bearing that fits very well.

jerteach

Postby jerteach » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:38 pm

lami3d wrote:I'm going to try to print this to tell you if it's good but you can compare with the base of the spool holder with bearing that fits very well.

That is a really good idea lami3d, If you haven't already printed the part I can fully copy the thingiverse shape which is a much better design than I came up with. Thanks for the idea.

Here is the new image and STL files. Since the dimensions should work I don't need the test anymore (If you have already printed it, please tell me if it fit. I assume it worked but a bit loose). I will be printing and testing this on Tuesday :D
Attachments
holder-base11-Sleeve.stl
(262.97 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
holder-base11-filament-holder-need_supports.stl
(109.75 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
holder-base11-filament-holder-homemade-support-_25mm-gap_.stl
(113.46 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
holder-base10-image.png
Last edited by jerteach on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lami3d

Postby lami3d » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:02 pm

about 1.5mm/2mm play in Y direction
20170415_171433[1].jpg

about 1mm play in X direction (printer ref)
20170415_171950[1].jpg

But yes, i think you can take the measure on the other design.. .as we say in france : "on va pas réinventer la roue", (we're not going to reinvent the wheel!)

jerteach

Postby jerteach » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:38 pm

Thanks for printing the part lami3d.

So in summary at the moment:

The stock Raise3D offset Spool holder MAY be causing some friction like forces (Actually more a lifting force when the filament motion causes the spool to rock instead of rotating and it trys to lift a percentage of the 1Kg (10 N) spool ! ).

Supper low tech solution by Mecha_Monster, lube the holder and spool. Now it rotates not causing any lifting forces.

Medium tech solution by Me, new holder and spool sleeve, then lube those parts. If the lube hurts the PLA, print another holder and sleeve.

Best solution found by lami3d, at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1729239 which needs a specific set of bearings to be purchased.

Lots of other spool holders out there as well. Thanks for the help Raise community.

lami3d

Postby lami3d » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:52 pm

jerteach wrote:Thanks for printing the part lami3d.

So in summary at the moment:

The stock Raise3D offset Spool holder MAY be causing some friction like forces (Actually more a lifting force when the filament motion causes the spool to rock instead of rotating and it trys to lift a percentage of the 1Kg (10 N) spool ! ).

Supper low tech solution by Mecha_Monster, lube the holder and spool. Now it rotates not causing any lifting forces.

Medium tech solution by Me, new holder and spool sleeve, then lube those parts. If the lube hurts the PLA, print another holder and sleeve.

Best solution found by lami3d, at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1729239 which needs a specific set of bearings to be purchased.

Lots of other spool holders out there as well. Thanks for the help Raise community.

We must give to Caesar what is Caesar's ; it's Sylus solution :mrgreen: remix from a ultimaker user design
and photohoolic reports in the forum few days ago...

i didn't experiment printing problems linked to that but it's good for the noises (no spool that rubs on the door anymore) and it improves the feeding because there's absolutly no friction... even if i don't visually notice an improvement

One thing i've not told you is that on my first printer (from october 2016), the spool holder were in metal and heavy... i saw that on the last printers, they are in plastic and lighter and so it's less stable (i never used this plastic raise3d spool holder because i had 2 metal ones)

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:25 am

Maybe a little late. Here is ours.
Spool Holder.STL
(311.93 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

jerteach

Postby jerteach » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:56 pm

Too funny :lol: . I tested my spool holder design today. It works, much less friction but the door will not close and the spool could slip off the spool sleeve. Back to the lab again. :oops:

sylus

Postby sylus » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:35 pm

lami3d wrote:As i have been advised 2 days ago, this design is a good one !

hope :roll:

Return to “Hardware”