Bltouch on Raise3d

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
sylus

Re: Bltouch on Raise3d

Postby sylus » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:26 pm

Phife wrote:Thanks sylus,

That cant be all that we need to change can it? Dont we need to also Invert Z endstop to false, enable servos and enable bed leveling?

Yes invert Z and some minor adjustment for probing speed and as detailed into the configuration.h provided.
for another probe mount, only those datas need change

sylus

Postby sylus » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:28 pm

Monty wrote:So the file on the Thingiverse page is not the right one ?

yes it is ,for my mount, for another firmware should be change (offsets)

Phife

Postby Phife » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:42 pm

Success!

Got the BLTouch working on my N2+ Dual! Thanks so much for all your help guys! I'll be posting some more details on here tomorrow after I get some time to thoroughly test it. Had some problems at first with the nozzle crashing into the bed. Damaged my PrintInZ plate a little while working out the bugs, But so far its working, I deliberately set the bed out of level and I could see the Z screw turn to compensate while printing. I will also share my new cooling fans with built in BL touch mount.

firesped

Postby firesped » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:55 am

I think the BLTOUCH has a servo in it so it can deploy and undeploy the sensor. At least it looks that way based on the code in the current RC firmware. I've gotten the firmware to work and I have printed a few things. But it is highly experimental as it is based on the marlin 1.1.0 RCBugFix. I'm figuring out a XY compensation guide at for ideamaker.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

fponticelli

Postby fponticelli » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:45 pm

@firesped, once you are done with the mods to the firmware it will work with BLTouch and Bondtech in hybrid mode, correct? I am really eager to try it out!

Phife

Postby Phife » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:03 pm

The issue with the nozzle crashing was my fault, had the wrong offset.

The biggest problem with setting this up is getting the offset between the probe and nozzle correct. The firmware needs to be edited and flashed each time you need to change the offset so you can imagine getting it just right can take a few tries. It took me around 10 tries to get it right. It seems to be great now though.

I am using BL touch with 2 Bondtech extruders, both are the universal kind, ones direct the other Bowden. No issues with the firmware and this setup as I just put in the gcode command for the extruder steps in the start gcode. Though, now that I have access to the firmware I can probably just change the steps there.

Mounting the BL touch was simple, I made a custom fan with a mount on it. I didnt want mine at the back so its on the front as close to the left nozzle as I could get it. I upgraded my hotend fans to 40mm and I also have a 50mm blower fan on the back for part cooling. You can see the part cooling duct around the nozzles. This design works great, but its still a work in progress as it has some issues.

Wiring the BL touch was fairly straight forward, I used some stranded CAT5 cable, dont use solid core wire.

When testing I set my spring bed out of level quite a bit and I could see the Z axis changing to compensate, works awesome.

Im using 16 probe points on my setup and it only adds 1 minute to the startup time. I removed my bed leveling springs and locked the bed down. I also leveled it just for the heck of it. I didnt need to, but now its locked down level and when it changes over time the probe will compensate.

Only issue now is my PID tuning is out of whack and my nozzle will shoot past its mark by 10-15 degrees when warming up, settles down once hot though. I guess the new firmware has incorrect values for its PID. I can see it says "N Series KS version" and right below that is "Test V2 Hotend" but its commented out. Im probably running V1 hotend PID settings. Would like to run PID Autotune but im not really sure how to do that. I do have a Reprap LCD, but no way to run the Gcode.

It would make things so much simpler if there was a terminal we could use to send Gcode command to the printer to adjust the Probe offsets and run PID Tune!

YouTube Video showing the homing process.
https://youtu.be/JS1kfR1FZvA

If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask!
Attachments
IMG_20170101_104518.jpg
IMG_20170101_104525.jpg
IMG_20170101_104535.jpg
Last edited by Phife on Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firesped

Postby firesped » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 pm

with insulated hotends you want to run PID anyways. don't use the Test information, that old code.

the touchscreen has octoprint installed on it. you have to remote in with a client like PuTTY.

cd ..
cd ..
cd opt
cd 3d_print
cd octoprint
find the PID for MXCUI, the touchscreen software
ctrl-c
kill -kill <MXCUI's PID #>
sh octoprint.sh

leave this going

open a webbrowser to http://192.168.1. printer on the network>:5000

this will open the octoprint interface.
printers:

Phife

Postby Phife » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:19 pm

Awesome, I will give it a shot, that would make adjusting the offset so much easier too since EEprom is enabled, I wont have to edit and recompile the firmware each time.

firesped

Postby firesped » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:25 pm

I've got the firmware based on marlin 1.1.0 RCBugFix done but it is experimental right now. meaning I have no clue what could go wrong. In theory nothing. I've printed off a benchy and a few XY calibration prints. I didn't calbrate my filament settings for the benchy. I've sent off a link to it to Derek. probably need to figure out how to get one part of it to actually do what is intended, which I used a pure line of text to get past.

I haven't turned on the EEPROM on this version.
printers:

firesped

Postby firesped » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:31 pm

I should probably get one or two these.
printers:

firesped

Postby firesped » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:06 pm

I just ordered a BLtouch.
printers:

fponticelli

Postby fponticelli » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:12 pm

firesped wrote:I just ordered a BLtouch.

That's great! eager to see a more "official" firmware :)

biaggiboy

Postby biaggiboy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:44 pm

I've got a N2 single and could really use this! I'm not very good with code and firmware, and was wondering if there will be a step by step sort of thing for someone like myself (quadriplegic) to be able to do this. ive got help from my father to do the physical part and install the bltouch which doesn't seem to be to difficult but I just need some help and advice for the firmware/software side of things. I understand this is still a work in progress and I might have to wait for you more experienced and talented guys to work on and perfect this a little more. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

eagle1xray

Postby eagle1xray » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:01 am

I too am curious as to getting on this upgrade im find doing uploads and minor edits to code and the wiring is fine as long as i get a decent set of directions/information of what im supposed to plug into...but this is a major bonus to have this system setup.

sylus

Postby sylus » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:48 am

I updated firmware to rev1
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1903054

biaggiboy

Postby biaggiboy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:57 pm

sylus wrote:I updated firmware to rev1
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1903054

Will this work with n2 single? Which .firm do I download, there are 2? Do I use the arduino software to put this firmware on my machine? sorry for all the questions im a complete noob at this stuff and don't want to mess up my machine. ive never changed firmware before :?

Phife

Postby Phife » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:35 pm

I wouldnt recommend the average user download the .firm files and upload them to their printer without some knowledge of how this stuff works. You could damage your printer by using an incorrect firmware for their printer.

Youre better off working with the actual arduino sketch of the firmware so you can make the changes and check to make sure its configured for your printer correctly. Downloading someone elses .firm means you cant make the changes to the BL probe Z offset if your mount or mounting location are different. Also, it will only work for the printer it was made for (be it a N2, N2+, Dual. Ect.)

biaggiboy

Postby biaggiboy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:03 pm

Phife wrote:I wouldnt recommend the average user download the .firm files and upload them to their printer without some knowledge of how this stuff works. You could damage your printer by using an incorrect firmware for their printer.

Youre better off working with the actual arduino sketch of the firmware so you can make the changes and check to make sure its configured for your printer correctly. Downloading someone elses .firm means you cant make the changes to the BL probe Z offset if your mount or mounting location are different. Also, it will only work for the printer it was made for (be it a N2, N2+, Dual. Ect.)

thank you for the advice! I really appreciate it. Any advise on how I should start going about doing this myself, I ordered a bltouch and it should be here in a week. I have the arduino software I just don't know where to begin, like I said im a complete noob but don't mind learning

firesped

Postby firesped » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:17 pm

you might want to wait if you aren't going to have it right away. Technically the current firmware for our machines does not have the code in it for the BLtouch. Hopefully we will be getting an update to new version that does support it.
printers:

biaggiboy

Postby biaggiboy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:56 am

does anyone have a link or can point me in the right direction so I can get the correct firmware for the n2 to start getting familiar with looking at and messing with it in the arduino software. Im looking at the marlin and the raise3d/marlin github pages but am not exactly sure what to do. id like to learn how to manipulate and kind of understand this stuff. Ive been 3d printing for about a year and this feels like a next step for me to understand how it works. thanks for any info and help

Return to “Hardware”