Not sure how to describe this see pictures

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
ReaperX43

Not sure how to describe this see pictures

Postby ReaperX43 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:16 pm

Left a part running overnight, using red Raise3D PLA, and got a message from one of our night shift guys that there is something wrong with the print, so I told him to shut down the printer. I've printed this print a multitude of times with no problems using the same filament. When i got to my office this morning, this is what I found (see pictures). Never seen this happen before in the 5 years of using FDM printers. the melted filament is even wrapped around the cables in the back. Not even sure how to start taking this apart without damaging the printer, since it seems like some of the filament is fused to the plastic around the fan enclosures. Anyone have any advice on how to proceed?
I have tried heating up the nozzle and hoping to get the blob melted and pull it off, but since it is melted around the wires as well, it wont come off, and is potentially damaging the wires/cables.

Jetguy

Re: Not sure how to describe this see pictures

Postby Jetguy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:51 pm

I think even though there is some melted bond to the fan duct, it's not "impossible" to remove.
#1 preheat this for a while, seriously, at least 30 minutes to 1 hour. You need the heat to conduct and heat all the melted plastic, to soften it as much as possible.
#2 remove that side printer layer cooling fan and duct. That gains you access to the side of the hotend and potentially the entire hotend mounting clamp if required.
Pro2 moving nozzles.jpg

#3 only after you've removed the plastic fan ducts, then break out a hot air heatgun to aid in additional heating of this rogue melted plastic.
Go slow, use caution.
#4 If it's that bad and #3 isn't going to work because say you couldn't complete #2 removing the fan duct, well go ahead, just start ordering spare parts now, meanwhile, take the whole assembly down as a unit, unhook the wiring at the extruder head breakout screw terminals, and again, try the heatgun on the bench.
Extruder-Connection-Board-50405008A02.jpg

extruder head breakout.jpg
extruder head breakout.jpg (33.26 KiB) Viewed 85 times

This generally isn't impossible, but it's very hard to remove all traces of PLA once this happened to a system. PLA is chemically resistant, so acetone is not the best solvent. The solvents that do work on PLA are pretty dangerous, methylene chloride, aka dichloromethane. It was discussed in this topic viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8964&p=31741&hilit=solvent#p31741 .
Your best bet is slow steady and controlled heat from a heatgun.

Jetguy

Re: Not sure how to describe this see pictures

Postby Jetguy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:57 pm

BTW, the local makerspace did this to the N2 they had even with an E3D V6 hotend system.
There shouldn't be burnt black plastic oozing out the side of the sock by the wires.
img_20180724_165408.jpg

Return to “Hardware”