Proper thermal grease for hotend assemblies

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Jetguy

Proper thermal grease for hotend assemblies

Postby Jetguy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:00 pm

It's been an ongoing problem in this group with folks stripping out setscrews and getting heater cartridges and thermcouples stuck in heater blocks due to stripping out the small M3 setscrews that lock them into the aluminum heater block assembly.

Until now, I would not recommend traditional heatsink grease or anti-seize grease because at extrusion temperature, the grease breaks down and cooks off leaving even harder to remove gunk.

Sadly, I'm only just now finding out about a very high temp material that we should be using on these setscrews and the heater cartridge and thermistor to not just prevent the classic seizing situation, but also better conduct heat to and from the heater block.

Meet Boron Nitride- an amazing high temp substance.
https://www.sliceengineering.com/shop/thermal-paste
and it's way cheaper than Krytox at $20 per 5g https://www.amazon.com/Chemours-Krytox- ... B00MWLD61A

Again, in the past, I would generally not recommend using heatsink grease on heater cartridges, nor the nozzle as these generally cake up and cook off the grease portion and leave a nasty sticky compound far worse than any problem it solved. However, this new grease is made for just this kind of heat.

detroitus

Re: Proper thermal grease for hotend assemblies

Postby detroitus » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:31 pm

Hey, thanks for the info! I've been looking for something like this.

Korni

Re: Proper thermal grease for hotend assemblies

Postby Korni » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:45 pm

Unfortunately, both do not get in Germany :-(
Pro2+ Image

Return to “Hardware”