Print Bed Problem

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Austin Tomson

Print Bed Problem

Postby Austin Tomson » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:04 pm

So I was doing a test print on my CAD teachers new Raise N2 at high detail. It was a overnight print which was fine. When I came into my teacher's CAD room he waved me over and I saw that the bed was broken and filament was everywhere. Has anyone else ever had this problem before? The Printer itself is fine. Its just the bed that is broken
image1.jpeg
The Broken Bed back
image3.jpeg
More cracked bits
image2.jpeg
Closer Look at the cracked bits
Attachments
image6.jpeg
My part I was printing
image5.jpeg
Damaged part in the front

Noren

Re: Print Bed Problem

Postby Noren » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:31 am

Had the bed shifted? Loose clamps? There were the glass break located on the bed. Front? Back?

Austin Tomson

Postby Austin Tomson » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:37 pm

The bed was aligned when I left. I don't think the clamps were loose. The glass break was at the front. One thing I forgot to mention is that the door was also open when my CAD teacher found the bed in its current state. When I left the door was closed and no one else opened the door. Should I post the stl file of what was printing?

Noren

Postby Noren » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:02 am

It looks like the crack coincides with the place there the nozzle lowers when you start the print? (You could start the print again and see if that is the case.) If so it could have been the nozzle plunging into the bed. If the bed was to close to the nozzle.

Was the glass bed still clamped down and in its original place when you found it? If not then it could also probably have been the nozzle hitting the print. Moving the print bed around and the glass hit the frame and the door.
But these are only guesses.
Install a camera and a new glass bed. And start again. And monitor the print and be ready to abort.

Austin Tomson

Postby Austin Tomson » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:40 pm

The crack was on the other side of the front of the bed. My CAD teacher found the bed on the floor with the door open. I will see if we can install a camera in the printer.

Our current theory behind how this happened is that when the printer was making the part it started to come off the bed(not enough to be pulled off) and got stuck to the nozzle. This allows the hotend to jerk the build plate enough to have the clamps fall off. Now that the bed is loose it can push against the door and open the door. Now that the door is open we think that the PLA fell off the build plate and then the build plate fell, hit the cart the printer is on and hit the floor. If this theory isn't true, please let me know

This is the stl file of what I was printing.
ctrlV_3D_test.stl
(329.48 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

If you want me to make a video of what we think happened I can do that as well.

Noren

Postby Noren » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:56 pm

That sounds like a probable chain of events. Guess you woll never know. You can just take precautions to it not happen again. Make sure your prints adhere to the bed. Make sure that you are not overextruding so the nozzle hits the print and/or use z-hop. And remote camera surveillance and a remotely operated power socket to pull the plug in case anything happens again.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:08 pm

FWIW, you should have the doors open and lid off when printing PLA.

Return to “Hardware”