Bed leveling again

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
photoholic

Bed leveling again

Postby photoholic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi again

well I was aaalmost happy with my N2 but the bed is really a pita... it coasts me nerves on a daily base.

I learned so far:
The bed is basically never level... if the bed is by chance level anyway because you just leveled it, it will doubtless get unleveled:

- after the next few z-axis movements
- or after the bed gets hoter than the temparature you leveled it
- if your room temparature changes
- if some minor seismic activity can be measured
- if a fly lands on the plate
- or just to annoy you by any other opportunity

Printing with an N2 is actually only possible with a raft... please mention that on the website!

You have to change the leveling desing or you will sink with it... 1000'0000 billions of screw are useless if parts are moving, extend with temperature etc... please involve a reasonable thinking engineer in this post. It's absolutely easy to explain why it's really not working... will never... no... really... believe me. You can put another 20 screw in the bed... nope will be even worse...

Best wishes and happy leveling

John

cullymoto

Re: Bed leveling again

Postby cullymoto » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:37 pm

I too suffer from this issue. The bed simply just wouldn't maintain it's level. Not even for a moment.
Here's what worked.
I loosened all the nuts underneath, and all the grub screws backed right out. The build plate was held up only buy the binder clips.
There are 13 screw locations under there... Too many. There are 4 in the outside corners, and 4 more just inside.
I set the center and the 4 inside corners to the same height.
Then I tightened just the grub screws all around so that they just barely touch the plate, and left the nuts loose.
I believe having 13 points of tension causes all kinds of stress on the build plate, causing it to torque differently each time it's heated /cooled.
Using just 4 or 5 places to hold the plate level it sees far less torque and is able to expand/contract in more predictable ways.
Good luck

photoholic

Postby photoholic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:57 am

Thank you very much cullymoto... no answer from Vicky? Raise3D say something please... we are your customers... quite a few with the same problem...

ssommer79

Postby ssommer79 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:03 am

I had (and have) the same Problem, which i reported also here (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1089&p=9995#p11107). In my case the rods where not straight. After changing them, it was better. But quite a part away from "perfect". If you have that problem, you will not be able to get the the bed straight without changing something. Soon i will change the whole bed to a new one which should work better.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:24 am

We are so sorry about the troubles brought to your side.
The reason why we set so many screws under heated bed is due to we find that the levelness of heated bed is very hard to control. So that we increase the screws quantity from 9 to 13 to have more points to adjust the height of the heated bed.

If you feel the bed leveling is hard to carry out to get a perfect result, you can contact us via telephone.

We will consider upgrade the bed leveling way in future.

Billucas

Postby Billucas » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:41 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:We are so sorry about the troubles brought to your side.
The reason why we set so many screws under heated bed is due to we find that the levelness of heated bed is very hard to control. So that we increase the screws quantity from 9 to 13 to have more points to adjust the height of the heated bed.

If you feel the bed leveling is hard to carry out to get a perfect result, you can contact us via telephone.

We will consider upgrade the bed leveling way in future.

Last week, I tried to level the bed about 4 times... We are supposed to have a piece of paper between the nozzle and the bed surface...
It is hard to get it right, almost impossible. So I get my Buildtak, Lokbuild, Zebra plate... damage, because sometime the nozzle scratch the bed surface. If we don't get the nozzle at the good distance, we obtain warping issue.
So, yes we should find or get a better solution. Like everyone, I saw the spring loaded bed. But I am not sure I want to do this for now.
If we could print a thin layer conductive silicone directly on the heat plate, let it dry and put the glass on it...
I think the plate would be perfectly perpendicular to the nozzle. Let me know what you think.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:20 am

How about having a direct talk with us?
You can make a call to our US office.

Return to “Hardware”